1972 Citroën D Special- "Celia"

Only problem is that the phenolic spacer was badly warped so I decided not to refit & used the new gasket included with the carb kit instead. Anyone know where I can get one? It's the solex 34PBIC- talking to a few friends in the porsche club they seem to be common on 356's or beetles (as an upgrade). Maybe I'll try there if I have no luck anywhere else.

Hi Toby

I have a spare one but it's up Mum's at the moment. Actually I have a NOS 34PBIC carb as well, I guess I don't need it now that I've fitted the twin throat carb to the DecidedlySpecial. Are you in a rush? :wink2:

Matthew :)

Hi Toby,

Your D must be loving the attention you are lavishing on it. It's looking great.

A question regarding your stainless steel polishing. Are you using a buffing wheel or doing it by hand. If by hand how. I have never managed to make stainless steel look any different no matter how long I spend rubbing it with autosol or similar. Mind you I have not spent 4 hours rubbing it.

cheers Tony

Hi Toby,

Your D must be loving the attention you are lavishing on it. It's looking great.

A question regarding your stainless steel polishing. Are you using a buffing wheel or doing it by hand. If by hand how. I have never managed to make stainless steel look any different no matter how long I spend rubbing it with autosol or similar. Mind you I have not spent 4 hours rubbing it.

cheers Tony

Hi Tony,

She's getting there slowly!

I have never had any luck with hand polishing either.. I'm using an attachment for my electric drill with several different buffing wheels and compounds which has worked well. Time consuming as you need to work your way through the graduated wheels/compounds but worth the effort!

Hi Toby

I have a spare one but it's up Mum's at the moment. Actually I have a NOS 34PBIC carb as well, I guess I don't need it now that I've fitted the twin throat carb to the DecidedlySpecial. Are you in a rush? :wink2:

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the offer- I won't raid your spares collection just yet.. I managed to salvage mine by steaming it for a few minutes & putting some old railway track on top of it while it dried.. Nice flat spacer!

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the offer- I won't raid your spares collection just yet.. I managed to salvage mine by steaming it for a few minutes & putting some old railway track on top of it while it dried.. Nice flat spacer!

Aaaaaa.. the old spare piece of railway track trick! :) Cool.

Well.. Poor little Celia gave up again on Friday.. Fortunately this time it was in the garage!

Had a weekend away planned for Father's Day that ended up being done in a Hyundai i20 rental car.. What a miserable machine!

Anyhow- remember how I changed the clutch pivot bracket when it snapped, leaving me stranded a month or so ago? This time it was the cable!

So.. A trip to European autocare and a new clutch cable meant this morning was spent replacing old bits with shiny new ones!

I also had a hell of a time getting the old cable out.. The top quality workmanship of the previous owner strikes again (this should be the last of it!).. The little cup to stop the cable being pulled into the firewall wasnt fitted!

I ended up having to use a punch from inside the car to get it out! Anyway, I fitted a new cup along with the cable

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378264560.048426.jpg

And Celia's dancing again!

Also bought myself another car today to relieve her of the daily routine.. Short trips aren't good for her health.. And I don't want to take her out in the rain either. Saves me from baking this summer!

Until next time!

I hope you are also getting the old cable remade by a reliable place and then storing it in the special spare clutch cable holder that every non Pallas D has.

I hope you are also getting the old cable remade by a reliable place and then storing it in the special spare clutch cable holder that every non Pallas D has.

How often do they go? I'd have thought I'll get a good 10 years at least..

Where do you recommend getting it rebuilt? Sounds like a plan..

Instrument makers etc usually do it. Essential that you supply the old cable as in tact as possible as they can replicate lengths and ends.

I remember that clutch cable storage space thread.... :roflmao:

Seriously, great thread and sooo much work. I'm humbled yet again.

Look what I did today!

I've always wanted some of the French required yellow headlight globes- I think they look really great. Only thing was, I didn't really want to pay $35 per globe.. So I searched high and low for some globe covers..!

Found some in Germany- they're made of glass and clip over the existing H4's- most important part is the external size is identical to the original large globes so they achieve the desired effect.

IMG_4314.jpgIMG_4317.jpgIMG_4315.jpg

Taking delivery of the BMW next week so that'll free Celia from daily duties.. Then I can recommence some serious work again!

Toby

When/If you get pulled over for the yellow lights what excuse will you use? It hasn't happened to me yet but they do seem to come under the Roads & Maritime rule of "selective yellow". Mine are yellow bulbs and I am amazed at how they are so good on an open country road at night let alone in fog.

Here are mine at night http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdrive34/9001409311/

Last edited:
When/If you get pulled over for the yellow lights what excuse will you use? It hasn't happened to me yet but they do seem to come under the Roads & Maritime rule of "selective yellow".

Hmmmm... Hadn't thought of that. I'll claim they've been there since I bought her.. Thankfully my 40 year old Citroen doesn't seem to gather much unwanted attention..!

Hmmmm... Hadn't thought of that. I'll claim they've been there since I bought her.. Thankfully my 40 year old Citroen doesn't seem to gather much unwanted attention..!

You can do what I did- carry a copy of the vehicle code with you. The two times I was pulled over for yellow headlights here, I simply presented that book to the officer with the challenge to find the relevant code making them specifically illegal. I also hedged my bets, carrying a pair of clear bulbs, with the excuse "well, if one of the yellow ones went out..." A roadside change on the GS and the 2CV was a snap.

I went to the Citroen workshop in London , can't remember their name DS World? They're near that defunct power station Pink Fliyd used on a cover , ( bit vague aren't I on facts?..)
Anyway they had a corker embassy DS with interior cabin divider, central window, communication radio. Asked if they had the yellow fog bulbs and was told 'you never had those in Australia' stop nagging us...
Wish I was making a bit more progress on mine!
looking great.

I went to the Citroen workshop in London , can't remember their name DS World? They're near that defunct power station Pink Fliyd used on a cover , ( bit vague aren't I on facts?..)
Anyway they had a corker embassy DS with interior cabin divider, central window, communication radio. Asked if they had the yellow fog bulbs and was told 'you never had those in Australia' stop nagging us...
Wish I was making a bit more progress on mine!
looking great.

If you'd like the eBay link let me know.. They were all of about $4 each.. Bargain!

Well.. Today, I worked up the courage to fix the leaking exhaust manifold and downpipe I had after replacing it last time. I ordered all new studs, gaskets and copper nuts in my last order from Citroworld around a month ago. Been a busy few weeks so I really haven't had a chance to do anything on Celia except keep her nice and clean!

So- I stared by disassembling everything; no photos there- we all know how traumatic it is to remove a DS exhaust manifold!

After I had the manifold off, I removed all the studs and gave the head a clean before sanding it lightly (with a block of course) to remove the old gasket remnants, rust and corrosion before fitting the new studs.. I really didn't want to leave anything there which may cause it to leak- and I like doing things meticulously (Which is lucky, because Celia rewards meticulous work!).

IMG_3454.jpgIMG_3459.jpg

Once I'd installed the new studs (and thought about how proud Richo would be of me :roflmao:), I set about cleaning up the mating surfaces of the manifold in the same way. A light sand revealed they were still flat (as expected) and removed the loose rust and carbon.

IMG_3457.jpg

I then fitted the new gaskets with a really light smear of maniseal- I hate using sealant but again, I really couldn't stand the thought of doing this again!

IMG_3461.jpgIMG_3462.jpg

I then refitted the manifold with the nice, shiny copper nuts:

IMG_3465.jpgIMG_3467.jpgIMG_3468.jpg

I then refitted the sphere and started her up.. No leaks! :banana::banana:

This is where it stands as of tonight.. I want to get the heat shields sandblasted and I'll repaint them before refitting. I'm slowly getting there ones job at a time!

Also gave me an excuse to check and admire my rebuilt engine mount from last time I did this job.. I must say, it was a lot less painful this time around; it certainly helps to have a rough idea what you're doing!

Toby

Great work Toby, looks good and sounds good 10/10 :)

I see Celia has the alluminium shield on the firewall - very posh!

Cheers
Chris

Great work Toby, looks good and sounds good 10/10 :)

I see Celia has the alluminium shield on the firewall - very posh!

Cheers
Chris

Thanks!

Yes- she does.. Not sure how much good it does though, still a ridiculous amount of heat soak through the firewall!