1956 Renault Fregate restoration...Project Geneviève

Hmm, jacking up the rear of Genevieve to permit the fitment of much bigger tyres to handle the awesome torque?

GH2

Le original SEV dizzy.

I've been running a Ducellier distributor from an R10 since the first time I fired the engine 2 years ago, now I have finally bothered to fix up the original SEV dizzy, and a second one as a spare. I figure this old dizzy was designed for the Ventoux engine and has different requirements to the Ducellier dizzy from an R10 Sierra engine.

The vacuum advance for the SEV works earlier than the Ducellier so Madame G now starts and idles better on the autochoke as a result. I managed to get a new dizzy cap, rotor button, 1 set of points and a couple of condensers to suit. The rotor button fits , engages with the spindle and runs well in the car but is a little loose on the dizzy spindle, I suspect it is the wrong one but it works for now.

attachment.php

92405d1483160573-1956-renault-fregate-restoration-project-genevi%E8ve-img_4712.jpg

Note the small wire vacuum indicator poking out side the dizzy body, clever.

https://youtu.be/j8Ilo9cy9OA

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4712.jpg
    IMG_4712.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_4762.jpg
    IMG_4762.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 767
  • IMG_4764.jpg
    IMG_4764.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 731
  • IMG_4778.jpg
    IMG_4778.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_4783.jpg
    IMG_4783.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 716
Last edited:
This one comes out of a parts box marked 8021216. Do you want to give it a spin?

Attachments

• DSC08680.jpg
    DSC08680.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 299
Absolutely yes, the one I have will fail eventually because it is a loose fit (probably from a Dauphine etc.) If it's up for sale I'd be happy to relieve you of it.:wink2:

Absolutely yes, the one I have will fail eventually because it is a loose fit (probably from a Dauphine etc.) If it's up for sale I'd be happy to relieve you of it.:wink2:

That parts book page shows a rotor that looks just like the one commonly used on 4CV distributors too, so several people in SE Q'ld will have acceptable s/h ones if indeed they are the same size. I must check a few parts books. I'd definitely grab Simon's though, as you have! I'm sure I have several but don't recall a new one.

Last edited:

The March 1960 price list quotes 7/6, in July 1987 that had escalated to $21.56 (odd seeing the 1976 Renault catalogue lists it as effectively dead stock - supply 'til stocks exhausted). PM an address, I'm sure a suitable arrangement can be arrived at :)

"a little loose on the dizzy spindle".... A wee bit of shim brass inside as an interim measure?

Happy New Year to all.

G'day John and HNY back.

I abandoned that idea in case it wriggled out and caused a 'failure to proceed' moment, the rotor wiper arm/spring thing is holding it in position for now.

Happy Motoring for 2017:drivin::drivin:

Last edited:
Superglue...

No superglue. Graham I have some new/old stock, there are 2 spindle sizes - 14.2mm and 14.9mm. Measure yours and put a photo of what it should look like and I'll let you know if I've got one to suit. I know I have some 14.2mm ones but not sure about the 14.9mm.
Frank

No superglue. Graham I have some new/old stock, there are 2 spindle sizes - 14.2mm and 14.9mm. Measure yours and put a photo of what it should look like and I'll let you know if I've got one to suit. I know I have some 14.2mm ones but not sure about the 14.9mm. Frank

Another day, another lesson!! Thanks Frank. :) 0.35 is pretty thick for shim brass too!

No superglue. Graham I have some new/old stock, there are 2 spindle sizes - 14.2mm and 14.9mm. Measure yours and put a photo of what it should look like and I'll let you know if I've got one to suit. I know I have some 14.2mm ones but not sure about the 14.9mm.
Frank

Well wadaya know, my dizzy spindle is 14.2 exactly and the rotor I have is 14.9. Thanks for that info Frank, it's what I was hoping for.

Thanks to Simon and another generous benefactor I have parts coming via AusPost and should be okay I think.

The message in all this is, hang onto your old SEV bits, they are getting scarce.

Thanks John, graining is an art for sure, but not a lost art by any stretch.

Remember this place? The curator started restoration in 1965 and has been at it ever since. Did you notice that many of the internal doors had been 'grained', possibly not, as they had done a nice job of it. I assume the curator did the work or out-sourced it locally.

In Europe of course, many of the old doors have been 'grained' to such a high standard that it beggars belief..:2cents:

http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/timber-graining/timber-graining.htm

attachment.php

Attachments

• P9180026.jpg
    P9180026.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
I'd forgotten that - you pointed it out at the time. And, of course, those horrible Ford UK woody wagons (and an early Oz Falcon if I recall correctly). Thanks.