Attachments

• IMG_4123.jpg
    IMG_4123.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 719
  • IMG_4128.jpg
    IMG_4128.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 722
And a special plan..

I've had a week to think about this, so while I waited patiently beside the post box I formulated this process..

attachment.php

Attachments

• dd.jpg
    dd.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 721
Last edited:
Oh please rise my Grasshoppers for thy may not be worthy as I've had another failure, check this out..

My drive shaft dampers have failed. The rubber was the correct haedness (Shore A80 ) but doesn't have the mechanical strength for this application. :(

But fear not my grasshoppers for I have a better plan.

attachment.php

That's not a failure, just more learning as to what is not suitable.

And this afternoon at 4 0çlock it arrived, a 50 x 300 Nolathane rod (shore A85 ).

Using woodworking macinery and a 6 tonne shop press plus some grease it all fell into place..

I'm pretty sure these will last.:approve:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

A wee chamfer was place on the end of the ferrules, they measure 17.5mm dia and the receiving hole was 16mm, so they fitted nice and tight, and without grease.

attachment.php
attachment.php

My special tool which will henceforth be known as a force concentrator (thanks Kim ).

The bush measures 48mm dia and the special tool is 36mm at the narrowest point, so some grease and a bit of persuasion was needed to make it slide.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4129.jpg
    IMG_4129.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 734
  • IMG_4133.jpg
    IMG_4133.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG_4136.jpg
    IMG_4136.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 828
  • IMG_4138.jpg
    IMG_4138.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 751
  • IMG_4140.jpg
    IMG_4140.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_4145.jpg
    IMG_4145.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 719
  • IMG_4151.jpg
    IMG_4151.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 720
  • IMG_4157.jpg
    IMG_4157.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_4168.jpg
    IMG_4168.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 720
  • IMG_4206.jpg
    IMG_4206.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 653
Last edited:
Urethane won't just bond to the metal, even with cooking post-curing to improve its properties.
There are special coatings to prepare the metal to bond with rubber.
Also, that red urethane is not as easy to turn as one might initially expect.

Urethane won't just bond to the metal, even with cooking post-curing to improve its properties.
There are special coatings to prepare the metal to bond with rubber.
Also, that red urethane is not as easy to turn as one might initially expect.

I never said it was easy. But that's how I roll.:crazy:

I replaced the rear MTM made rubber drive disc (originally used as a compressor connector on high powered MTM marine diesel engines) and chosen by Steyr Puch (who did the engineering for Renault on the RX4 Scenic) with a polyurethane one many years ago. It worked like a charm and will last many times longer than the original rubber one. Good choice of material!

Good pickup J-man.

If you squint with both eyes you can see a Fregate in the back ground (or maybe an FJ).

As far as the movie goes you will need to talk with my agent as I am tied up on the Thor set at present.:clown:

Also my co-star the furry navigator will not be available after Monday, the time has come.:cry:

Maybe no movie for a while.:(

Sad day for you. You'll notice the gap in your life for a while.

Sorry to hear of your friend's departure. They leave a big hole in your life.

Awful news. Dogs are very special mates. We have done badly in last 12 months too.

As one friend said to me "the really good thing about dogs is that they only make you cry once in their lives "

Very sorry to hear

Andrew

Thanks to all for the well wishes, both public and private.

She's gone now but will never be forgotten and is in fact, at rest in the back yard where she can still be close to me. We were battling doggy cancer for a couple of months and although I bought her some time with surgery, the inevitable has come and she went out without a whimper because she knew the game was up.

It's been a good ride for the last 16 years, we had some good times and travelled together a lot.

R.I.P Ellie, "thanks for teaching me to make chicken soup".

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4331.jpg
    IMG_4331.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 793
Too sad Graham,
Your sidekick was obviously much loved, I did get to say my goodbye at FCD - take care. . .

Cheers
Chris

Edit:
Graham, I'll remove this post in due course , so as not to interrupt your resto thread. :wink2:

Ellie was a partner in the restoration. I think leave it up Robmac as she was always there, and played a supporting role during the whole adventure.