504 to restore

504 suspension can be quite harsh, the IRS didn't absorb road shocks as well as the 404 live axle or the live axle on the 504 wagon. I had a 504 Ti with Michelins which had very noisy suspension, fitting Yokohama S707 transformed it, long time ago now so don't go looking for them! 70 series tyres seem to have the best ride, in between the low profile and the tall narrow.
I remember back when the Michelins went from the XZX to the new MX in the 175/80R14 and the response wasn't way less than enthusiastic.
The Yokohama's in S704/7 had a much better tread flex and even wearing tread compound. If I recall it was the tyre of choice in the VMC at the time.
The XZX use to go 'round' across the tread and in the wet was as brake effect as water ski's. This was the era of 'long life radials' to sway the punters away from cheap and rubbish cross ply's.
A slightly wider rim such as 14X6 with outward offset of the one inch.
More track is never a bad thing is it?
:drink:
Brendan.

The first MXs were great, then they changed the tread pattern and they were terrible. I think the first ones may have had some tread whine? Best Michelins I had were some German made ones 195 65 15 MXT maybe? Anyway, as usual they deleted these. Recently the BG Goodrich T/A Drive were a great tyre but once again deleted. These were made in Thailand in the Michelin factory but the latest replacement ones are made in Indonesia, visual quality is noticeably inferior.

I remember back when the Michelins went from the XZX to the new MX in the 175/80R14 and the response wasn't way less than enthusiastic.
The Yokohama's in S704/7 had a much better tread flex and even wearing tread compound. If I recall it was the tyre of choice in the VMC at the time.
The XZX use to go 'round' across the tread and in the wet was as brake effect as water ski's. This was the era of 'long life radials' to sway the punters away from cheap and rubbish cross ply's.
A slightly wider rim such as 14X6 with outward offset of the one inch.
More track is never a bad thing is it?
:drink:
Brendan.
I pumped some 165 15 XZXs up to 40 psi for an economy run, left them up and next day it rained, zero grip!! Let them down and they were acceptable.

Todays job was using a flap disc and sanding back the boot to see what I was dealing with rust wise. I went right back to metal because the paint was flaky all over the whole panel. Surprisingly the only bit of concern was this small patch which should be easily filled.
boot after.jpg
boot rust.jpg
boot before.jpg

The boot lids are usually rusty under the bottom lip, and the rust can span very significant lengths along. Seems as though you've had a lucky escape.

Quick question to the group.......Has anyone had a paint match for "Alpine White" made up recently? Is there a formula available?

Two more panels just really needed a clean up and they look good enough to go straight back on the car. I don't know whether I can salvage that front quarter panel, though. There's a lot of curves and angles where it's been damaged.
504 before.jpg
504 after.jpg
504 passenger panel.jpg

As one who has attempted long, long ago to straighten out a 504 guard, I concur that there is a lot of curves and bends.

That first one looks the same as my old 1972 504. The slot is the giveaway....to get TDC you drop a screwdriver down a hole in the bell housing and rotate the engine till the screwdriver drops into the slot.
No slot in later models...just timing marks in the timing case.

That first one looks the same as my old 1972 504. The slot is the giveaway....to get TDC you drop a screwdriver down a hole in the bell housing and rotate the engine till the screwdriver drops into the slot.
No slot in later models...just timing marks in the timing case.
Not TDC, 5? degrees before, you use the hole further around the bell housing to set the timing. 403s only had one hole, not at TDC.

And do the numbers indicate anything? One says 4 / 21 and the other seems to say 16

I don't know why I forgot....it's only been 37 years since I owned that model.:geek:

Quick question to the group.......Has anyone had a paint match for "Alpine White" made up recently? Is there a formula available?
I think there were different Alpine Whites for different models over the years. I have 4 litres of that colour which were mixed for a 1972 504 I used to have but never got around to painting. The paint is very old but still looks OK when I open the tin. The Regal paint number was 41731 (I think - the first number is not very clear). You are welcome to the paint - I am in Sydney. I also have 4 litres of Charcoal Grey (403) free if anyone is interested. Again this paint is very old but looks OK.

Great to see some progress. I'd just cut out what you have to, then fabricate new piece.

Have you tried to at least turn the crankshaft to ensure pistons are not locked up?
It's been a long time to answer this question but I'm happy to say that the engine turns over. Ran out of time today, but next step is to see if it will actually start.

I can give you a better steering wheel than this one. Rim swollen but centre VGC
GL
I would love to take you up on this, Greg. Not to mention all the other goodies you listed in the parts chat. The only thing stopping me is the 1003.9 kilometres between Waratah and Mount Evelyn!!!