OUT AND ABOUT

That '35 Packard looks a nice car.🤩

20230416_175642.jpg

Its number plate would be worth as much as the car!
Sorry, you've lost me. What's the relevance of the number plate? Personally I like the traditional black on yellow in NSW and have never seen the value in number plates

I remember when black on yellow was introduced. It was in the 50s. My old man got a letter telling him he had to hand in the plates he'd had for many years on a succession of cars, and he did. He got a yellow one instead.

Others didn't, and those very old plates quickly became a rarity. Today, some people are prepared to pay large sums to have a really oldie transferred to their car.

Yes, a nice Packard. It'll be interesting to see what turns up this year.
On number plates - - - it is a pity that it has become a laundering system for black money instead of plates being around to go on cars. I would be the first to laugh if the bottom dropped out of this evil (probably a bit strong) trade in the Shannons Auction plate market and people would be left with a plate that should be on a car worth a few hundred dollars instead of thousands and sometimes millions. But I'm not here to be a stirrer - - - who would listen to a nobody like me.
I try to have plates on my cars that match the era as for me it gives them a soul. The fact that it costs us about $10,000 a year to register 13 cars is of course ridiculous but every one is a bit silly in some way. To me a red plate just doesn't look right.
So we all do things in our own way and if someone wants to spend 1.5 million for a number plate and have it sit in a drawer who am I to question the logic behind that, - - - - - it's all about making money - - - and I'd better get off and do a bit so I can pay my bills !!!

John

Attachments

• hang rock-21b.jpg
    hang rock-21b.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 106
TRENTHAM TRACTOR PULL 23rd Apr 2023

Loaded up the 1929 Chrysler, stopped in at the Daylesford market and off to the Trentham Tractor Pull.
I thought this might be a bit of a fizzer - - - who wants to watch old tractors pull a sled that digs in as it goes along with the water tank moving from the back of the sled - - forward ? Well there certainly were many that did. I don’t think I remember a day that was as social as this in a very “country” way. Every farmer in the district seemed to be there and with the mix of cars on display it turned out to be a lot of fun. Peter and Trevor Brown brought some cars and also a crawler tractor. Their family have farmed in Bullarto since the 1800’s mainly concentrating on different varieties of potatoes along with cattle.

The 1948 Light 15 with the ID motor & box was there and got a lot of attention. Brother Michael brought his 1949 Rover P3.

John

Attachments

• TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023g.jpg
    TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023g.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 113
  • ERICS TRACTION TRENTHAM 23-4-23c.jpg
    ERICS TRACTION TRENTHAM 23-4-23c.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 107
  • ERICS TRACTION TRENTHAM 23-4-23b.jpg
    ERICS TRACTION TRENTHAM 23-4-23b.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 111
  • ERICS TRACTION TRENTHAM 23-4-23a.jpg
    ERICS TRACTION TRENTHAM 23-4-23a.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 114
  • TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023p.jpg
    TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023p.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 111
  • TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023n.jpg
    TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023n.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 114
  • TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023e.jpg
    TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023e.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 113
  • TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023q.jpg
    TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023q.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 116
  • TRENTH TRACT PULL CHRY ENG 2023.jpg
    TRENTH TRACT PULL CHRY ENG 2023.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 115
  • TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023c.jpg
    TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023c.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 110
Here are some pics of a 2CV that turned up for sale at the tractor pull plus a few more pics and one with our ID19b in Creswick the other day.

John

Attachments

• 2 CV FS-3.jpg
    2 CV FS-3.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 119
  • TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023m.jpg
    TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023m.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 110
  • TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023k.jpg
    TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023k.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 111
  • TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023h.jpg
    TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023h.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 110
  • TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023v.jpg
    TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023v.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 114
  • TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023t.jpg
    TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023t.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 113
  • TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023s.jpg
    TRENTHAM TRACT PULL 2023s.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 2 CV FS-1.jpg
    2 CV FS-1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 2 CV FS-2.jpg
    2 CV FS-2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 117
  • ID19b CRESWICK Apr 2023.jpg
    ID19b CRESWICK Apr 2023.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 113
I headed down to portarlington today in the shitbox to drag the block of flats back home..... But first stopped for lunch at the bakery. There was an XM parked out the front ( I haven't seen one of them on the roads in probably a decade! ).

I went over and chatted to the owner and he has about 10 old french cars by the sounds of it, I won't mention the exact cars incase he doesn't want those details posted publicly. He said he owned a locally winery. I just found it online.

Now there's a great place to head to for club runs etc. A guaranteed french car nut onsite when you arrive :)

Sat 29th Apr.
Saturday morning and we’re off with the Cool Country Classics Trentham club for a run. The Deniliquin club was roaming the district so it was organised to rendezvous at Elphinstone at a member’s place. On the way we stopped in Newstead and made our way through Castlemaine to reach our destination. It was pure joy to go through the S bends past Chewton behind the beautiful Bristol in our 1950 Slough Big 6.
The pic of brother Hans's 1935 Humber parked next to the Big 6 is at the Daylesford cemetery as we waited for the Trentham contingent to come through.

John

Attachments

• ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-n.jpg
    ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-n.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 106
  • ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-s.jpg
    ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-s.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 107
  • ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-m.jpg
    ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-m.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 104
  • ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-k.jpg
    ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-k.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 105
  • ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-g.jpg
    ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-g.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 104
  • ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-e.jpg
    ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-e.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 111
  • ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-c.jpg
    ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-c.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 101
  • ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-b.jpg
    ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-b.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 108
  • ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-a.jpg
    ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-a.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 110
  • ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-f.jpg
    ELPHINSTONE RUN 29-4-23-f.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 102
Beechworth “Drive Back in Time” 6th & 7th May 2023.

Four days away in our 1968 Citroen ID19b to a car event in Beechworth called “Drive Back in Time”. We came upon this event when on a trip through this area followed by going through Bright and over Mt. Hotham 3 years back in our 1974 Citroen D Special.

Leaving at 7am this last Friday our DS was eager to go. It was a cool morning with the heater only just able to cope so I made a mental note to pull the small heater radiator out for a flush upon our return. Through Trentham, Woodend, Lancefield, Kilmore & Broadhurst we got onto the freeway to go into cruise mode. None of this fancy cruise control - - just plain fun, flicking the right indicator to let the semis go by and a quick flick of the headlights to let them in again. It’s always nice to get a return flick of their indicator to show their appreciation of some “teamwork” on the highways and bye-ways.

After some time we pulled over to a rest stop and I made a quick check that things were going okay which they were with the engine temperature just nice. I thought about the short bit of stocking I have in the top hose to catch any scale or dirt and again made a mental note to change it when back home.

Euroa was our first stop at our favourite café for morning tea. The old bits of Australiana on the walls and old furniture help to give it a cosy and pleasurable atmosphere. A quick look at the opp shop and we’re away. Always people commenting - - -- “I love your car - - saw one way back in” and so-on.

Our next stop was the historic town of Chiltern again with a very full opp shop. Mosey’d down the street to the 2nd hand store which was a bit pricey but picked up a bundle of 1929 – 1933 RACV Autojournals and a handbook for Michael’s “new” 1987 Rangerover.

Next stop Yackandandah and a look at the 2nd hand places and yes - - - an opp shop. Picked up a small accessory outside auto light which brother Michael will mount on the back of his Series one Landrover.
To cruise through these special Victorian country towns in our DS is joy indeed. One fellow went on to say that a doctor had one in the district when he was used to seeing mainly Holdens, trucks, tractors and the odd vintage car still getting around - - - “it was like a space ship - - way back then - - in Yack”.

At noon on the following Saturday there was an “all you can eat barbecue” for $10 a car load. There was an odd shower but the weather held out pretty well. After the barbi we went in convoy to a carriage museum with passenger, 17 year old Andrew, who’s father brought a Mini Minor up from Melbourne. He was very happy with the smooth ride and the - “very plush leather seats”.
His father owns a business called Minis Plus or something.

Our Motel being maybe 150 yards from town made it perfect for a walk into town and to our favourite pub for dinner.

Sunday morning we arrived at the closed off section of the main street at 7am with cars continuing to roll up soon after, eventually spilling over to the old precinct behind the courthouse. It was here that Ned Kelly was sentenced to later appear in Melbourne because it was felt the troubles in Beechworth would gain too much momentum because of the many Kelly sympathisers there.

The day went well with many cars on show. Our DS was appreciated by many.

John

Attachments

• BEECHWORTH-23-a9.jpg
    BEECHWORTH-23-a9.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 106
  • BEECHWORTH-23-a.jpg
    BEECHWORTH-23-a.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 108
  • BEECHWORTH-23-a13.jpg
    BEECHWORTH-23-a13.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 110
  • BEECHWORTH-23-a14.jpg
    BEECHWORTH-23-a14.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 107
  • BEECHWORTH-23-a15.jpg
    BEECHWORTH-23-a15.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 107
  • BEECHWORTH-23-a16.jpg
    BEECHWORTH-23-a16.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 113
  • BEECHWORTH-23-b.jpg
    BEECHWORTH-23-b.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 104
  • BEECHWORTH-23-g.jpg
    BEECHWORTH-23-g.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 110
  • BEECHWORTH-23-a11.jpg
    BEECHWORTH-23-a11.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 106
  • BEECHWORTH-23-m.jpg
    BEECHWORTH-23-m.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
New 1987 Range Rover :ROFLMAO: What a sucker for punishment! Do you have the 3.5 with the early fuel injection (could be fun : :oops: ). Only a crazy person would own citroens and land rovers :clown:

I pulled the radiator hose back and fitted a new stocking to catch any scale or dirt in the cooling system.

Looking in my log book I last did this on 5th June 2019 so there wasn’t a lot of rubbish caught - - - better than blocking tops of the radiator core pipes. This is probably the least caught ever so I’m pleased.
I pulled the heater radiator out and there was a lot more mud than I thought there might be including bits of clay etc. It took a lot of hosing through before the water became clear so I’m hopeful the heater will work a lot better. The control flap is opening and closing so that’s fine.

Pics below of stocking plus heater parts.

Also a few more pics including one of our DS in front of what must have been a Landrover garage in Broadhurst - - note Landrover sign on roof.

John

PS Michael might answer your question Shane.

Attachments

• BEECHWORTH-23-a10.jpg
    BEECHWORTH-23-a10.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 106
  • BEECHWORTH-23-a5.jpg
    BEECHWORTH-23-a5.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 108
  • Radiator sock-4.jpg
    Radiator sock-4.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 107
  • BEECHWORTH-23-a3.jpg
    BEECHWORTH-23-a3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Heater radiator-2.jpg
    Heater radiator-2.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Heater radiator-1.jpg
    Heater radiator-1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Radiator sock-5.jpg
    Radiator sock-5.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 110
  • Radiator sock-6.jpg
    Radiator sock-6.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Radiator sock-1.jpg
    Radiator sock-1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 98
  • BROADHURST LANDROVER GARAGE..jpg
    BROADHURST LANDROVER GARAGE..jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 105
MOTORING HERITAGE DAY TRENTHAM 21-5-23

Weather was not looking good for Motoring Heritage Day Trentham this Sunday 21st May. We changed our minds on taking the 1913 TH. Schneider so Janet drove the 1950 Big 6 Citroen and me in the 1954 Sunbeam Alpine. We thought we’d better make an effort as with the inclement weather not many might turn up.
Luckily an hour or so after we arrived at the old Trentham Railway Station we were very much proved wrong. Trentham car days seem to be gaining a reputation for having a really good mix of English, European, Australian and USA cars. To see four Bristols - - yes the red one to the right !! - - was a sight to behold. The Rover club brought about 12 Rovers and there were a number of Renaults, Zephyrs and even 2 Studebakers. I liked the green Renault 16. Also a 2CV and a D Special - - - and a big ’39 Packard.
The foggy start made way for a cool but clear day so it ended up a real hoot.
John.

Attachments

• TRENTHAM MAY-23-a.jpg
    TRENTHAM MAY-23-a.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 110
  • TRENTHAM MAY-23-b.jpg
    TRENTHAM MAY-23-b.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 104
  • TRENTHAM MAY-23-d.jpg
    TRENTHAM MAY-23-d.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 111
  • TRENTHAM MAY-23-e.jpg
    TRENTHAM MAY-23-e.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 109
  • TRENTHAM MAY-23-f.jpg
    TRENTHAM MAY-23-f.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 104
  • TRENTHAM MAY-23-m.jpg
    TRENTHAM MAY-23-m.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 104
  • TRENTHAM MAY-23-n.jpg
    TRENTHAM MAY-23-n.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 103
  • TRENTHAM MAY-23-o.jpg
    TRENTHAM MAY-23-o.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 113
  • TRENTHAM MAY-23-p.jpg
    TRENTHAM MAY-23-p.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 109
  • TRENTHAM MAY-23-r.jpg
    TRENTHAM MAY-23-r.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 107
There was a heritage day in Ballarat today. They were searching for a DS to attend, but I don't htink they ever did find one.... I'm surprised they didn't contact you!

seeya,
Shane L.

There was a heritage day in Ballarat today. They were searching for a DS to attend, but I don't htink they ever did find one.... I'm surprised they didn't contact you!

seeya,
Shane L.
You should have taken the "new" one you just got running. That would have garnered some interest.😁

Or you !!! ???
I think they wanted a "nice one" :ROFLMAO: Seriously, I have two here, the blue ID19 has a broken crankshaft and the ugly pink car hasn't really been driven since before covid. It's leaking to much LHM for me to drive. It needs 4 x suspension boots and a couple of lines (I used 40+ year old boots and hoses when I converted it to LHM, they didn't survive long once I started using the car :clown: ).... Oh, and a new exhaust sytem built for it. I'm going to practice on the shitbox first --making the exhaust out of stainless that is.

I haven't been to concerned, life has been to busy over the last couple of years. I'll get to them soon'ish :dance:

seeya,
Shane L.

I think they wanted a "nice one" :ROFLMAO: Seriously, I have two here, the blue ID19 has a broken crankshaft and the ugly pink car hasn't really been driven since before covid. It's leaking to much LHM for me to drive. It needs 4 x suspension boots and a couple of lines (I used 40+ year old boots and hoses when I converted it to LHM, they didn't survive long once I started using the car :clown: ).... Oh, and a new exhaust sytem built for it. I'm going to practice on the shitbox first --making the exhaust out of stainless that is.

I haven't been to concerned, life has been to busy over the last couple of years. I'll get to them soon'ish :dance:

seeya,
Shane L.
I hear what your saying. I tried starting the Mustang last week after 3 years or so.
Had to drain and flush the entire fuel system and clean and rebuild the carby before any success.
The auto had no gears, but a top up and multiple cycles through the shift gate got things working again.
It still seems to have brakes of sorts.🤷‍♂️
I actually had a fruitful couple of weeks and started and/or drove/rode everything in the yard.🥳

I hear what your saying. I tried starting the Mustang last week after 3 years or so.
Had to drain and flush the entire fuel system and clean and rebuild the carby before any success.
The auto had no gears, but a top up and multiple cycles through the shift gate got things working again.
It still seems to have brakes of sorts.🤷‍♂️
I actually had a fruitful couple of weeks and started and/or drove/rode everything in the yard.🥳

The mustang would be a nice cruiser? Those youtube creators have certainly raised the interests in old american cars around the world. Is the mustang and old straight six, or bent 8 of some variety? Its just amazing what they can do with them over there. they are so simple to repower and put a "stick shift" :rolleyes: into.

If your into hotrodding. I reckon this will be really interesting if they manage it.

This is what I think will make re-powering a DS really simple into the future. I've only watched the first 10minutes. But they are only going to take the little electric motor/rear axle assembly out of it. This alone is 500hp. :eek:

Imagine how easy repowering something like a DS would be with something like this. I'm not really interested it straight line speed, but imagine how powerful, quiet, smooth ... just amazing it would be in a DS! I'm not interested in the fact its electric, it more the fact it wouldnt' be difficult (electric motors and happy to spin either way).