We're not dead yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nonetheless the 4WD ute is the mainstay of Australian economic activity beyond the city.
They may well be, but as 2/3 of Australia's population live in 8 capital cities one would have to consider that with all the tough traffic conditions those 2/3 face then the 4X4 crew cab ute must also be the mainstay of economic activity in every city in Australia because bugger all standard or extra cab 4X4 utes seem to be registered within their hallowed precincts. Weird!

The outer areas where Sydney starts to fade away (5 acre country) is dominated by utes mostly 4x4, in my experience. Most owners would be tradesmen who take them into the suburbs for work every day. Sydney is the traffic capital of the country.

I think Berridale was alluding to the fact that continuing to use your old ICE car has less environmental impact than buying a new "bells and whistles" EV.
I don't think he was suggesting they should still make the Fiat/FSM 126?

I watched a video where a guy in London bought an FSM 126 for classic use. His video had over 10,000 comments. It seems nearly everone from an Eastern Bloc country owned one at some stage (they made over 4. 6 million of them from 1972 to 2000).🤷‍♂️
He said the 10' long, 4' 6" wide, 600kg car wasn't exempt from the "congestion" charge, so it would cost him £12 a day if he drove it into the "no go" zone.
You can however drive a 18' long, 7' 3" wide, 4200kg EV Hummer around central London and attract no "congestion" charge.
Makes sense.🤦‍♂️
"I think Berridale was alluding to the fact that continuing to use your old ICE car has less environmental impact than buying a new "bells and whistles" EV."
This was my exact point.
The major cause of pollution is in the manufacturing not in the use of the vehicles.
80% is the given figure.
I know very well most people are incapable of critical thinking and basic maths, much less thinking of consequences.

You then ask yourself if the whole Electric Vehicle thing is just a conspiracy?

Figures show hundred tons or more of earth moved to make a single battery, yet the environmental impact is never mentioned.
Audi cargo ship sank because EV fire and everything on board lost.
🤣

And in a pointed reply, I ask why all of a sudden a crew cab ute could possibly be the best selling car in Australia. They handle like a bucket of shite, have no more room than a station wagon for passengers and have the load carrying capacity of a 6x4 trailer on ultra light springs and use a lot of fuel because of their weight. I suspect the reason is advertising and hype. Most crew cab owners will never ever drive them to Darwin and back over a three week annual holiday like I did in a Renault 16TS, through Burke, Mt Isa, Darwin, Alice Springs, Port Augusta and back to Melbourne in 1970.
When i worked at the hospital nearly everyone had a 4WD and nearly everyone had no need for them, except a few who actually lived on a farm.
The buggers used to open the door onto my Alfa and put dents in the sides, no matter where i parked it.
So i have a pet hate for the drivers.
Meanwhile the entry to my farm is a bad , steep 4WD track.
My neighbour who was in my 2WD Scienic was shocked and said ,
"It would go anywhere a 4WD could"
Even the Berlingo van would do the same .
On the farm i have two Land Rovers, S1 and S3 for serious work as we are on the side of a mountain.

Vehicle life in Australia is around eleven years which it what it has been for years. There's no reason modern cars should not stay in service for more than twenty years but manufacturers have to supply spare parts. Peugeot made parts for the 403 for 27 years after the car was introduced and 17 years after the last was made.
There are roads and roads but people attempting too much in unsuitable vehicles (and sometimes suitable ones) end up with mechanical damage and strandings.

Vehicle life in Australia is around eleven years which it what it has been for years. There's no reason modern cars should not stay in service for more than twenty years but manufacturers have to supply spare parts. Peugeot made parts for the 403 for 27 years after the car was introduced and 17 years after the last was made.
There are roads and roads but people attempting too much in unsuitable vehicles (and sometimes suitable ones) end up with mechanical damage and strandings.
In Australia vehicle manufacturers have to by law support their models for 10 years.

There are many things which effect the serviceable life of a vehicle.

My last two daily drivers lasted past the 20 year mark.

An electric vehicle should last twice as long as an fossil fuelled car with the only limiting factor being battery life.

In Australia vehicle manufacturers have to by law support their models for 10 years.

An electric vehicle should last twice as long as an fossil fuelled car with the only limiting factor being battery life.
I never get rid of a key car at less than 20 years. The issue in the past has been safety, as some 1980s-90s cars were rather less than 5-star safety and the cars have improved a lot since then. Now many things have 5-star safety and the issue is spare parts availability. Try buying a 2005 Scenic door handle (inside front one, I mean). Still, a bit of home engineering helps.

Yup, battery life is the issue. You can get a nicely depreciated ICE car for $10K but I'm not yet comfortable with 8-10 year-old batteries and the range of older EVs is miniscule. Just wait, I say......

There are many electric motors around Australia that are close to 100 years old (Trams and trains, machinery, lifts etc) that are still going. The fact that it has been necessary to rebuild or replace engines in ICE vehicles in the past to get maximum life out of a chassis won't be necessary in EV's. Battery packs may need replacing, but at what interval? Will battery technology continue to improve and will enterprising battery manufacturers see a market in providing ever and ever better replacements or will the EV just get chucked out after 10-15 years like many ICE vehicles are now?

I see your point but don't push it so much. Century old train and lift motors are non-runners in museums. There is a near century old Sydney suburban museum train running, but it has been fiited with new motors.

The Ballarat trams would be pushing the century and a few still run on tourist outings. Century old petrol and kero engines about too that still run. And steam locomotives from the 1930's. But regular work no, although I know a single cylinder Lister diesel from 1935 still in regular use that should be in a museum.
Motor cars are expensive to buy and only supplying parts for ten years is inadequate. It's a pleasure to deal with well run ag spare parts operations that can still supply for machines made forty years ago. Unfortunately usually run by old style parts men who have no replacements when they retire.

I would say having a 2022 model EV in 2032 will be about as "cool and trendy" as what having an iPhone 5 is today.🤷‍♂️

I've had two 1920s cars in the past few years, both had hard lives, both had matching number engines with standard bores.
I currently have:
'71 F100 ambulance ,matching numbers.
'73 Mini matching numbers.
'57 Studebaker matching numbers.
'71 Citroen matching numbers.
'89 Suzuki Carry matching numbers.
'71 Harley matching numbers.
'60 Suzuki TA250 matching numbers.
'81 Kawasaki KH100 matching numbers.
None of these vehicles are particularly low kms or "one owner, church on Sunday" machines.🤷‍♂️
My son still has my late father's LJ Torana coupe, the original red motor had one of those $75 re-ring kits (that Supercheap used to sell) thrown in it back in the mid '90s, and it's still running fine.

The "blow a head gasket and throw the engine away" phenomenon is more a modern ICE trait.

NZ Leaf owner was quoted $121,000 to replace her battery.
When approached by media, Nissan stated there had been "an error" in the quote, but declined to say what the real price would be.🤔
Maybe they underquoted?🤣

Let me help you with the cost of a replacement battery in a Gen 1 Leaf

The answer is in this Drive aritcle posted today - hint, it's nowhere near $100k

I would say having a 2022 model EV in 2032 will be about as "cool and trendy" as what having an iPhone 5 is today.🤷‍♂️

I've had two 1920s cars in the past few years, both had hard lives, both had matching number engines with standard bores.
I currently have:
'71 F100 ambulance ,matching numbers.
'73 Mini matching numbers.
'57 Studebaker matching numbers.
'71 Citroen matching numbers.
'89 Suzuki Carry matching numbers.
'71 Harley matching numbers.
'60 Suzuki TA250 matching numbers.
'81 Kawasaki KH100 matching numbers.
None of these vehicles are particularly low kms or "one owner, church on Sunday" machines.🤷‍♂️
My son still has my late father's LJ Torana coupe, the original red motor had one of those $75 re-ring kits (that Supercheap used to sell) thrown in it back in the mid '90s, and it's still running fine.

The "blow a head gasket and throw the engine away" phenomenon is more a modern ICE trait.

I note with horror that none of your fleet of fine vehicles pass current Euro6 emission regulations, the introduction of which was to deliberately ensure that the world's pollution emissions was reduced. I guess the world is lucky you can only drive one at a time! The fact that Australia is and has been for many years a dumping ground for obsolete polluting vehicles that can't be sold in more enlightened countries is also truly sad.

I note with horror that none of your fleet of fine vehicles pass current Euro6 emission regulations, the introduction of which was to deliberately ensure that the world's pollution emissions was reduced. I guess the world is lucky you can only drive one at a time! The fact that Australia is and has been for many years a dumping ground for obsolete polluting vehicles that can't be sold in more enlightened countries is also truly sad.
Just out of interest what do you drive that is Euro 6 compliant?

Let me help you with the cost of a replacement battery in a Gen 1 Leaf

The answer is in this Drive aritcle posted today - hint, it's nowhere near $100k
Let me help you.

The article you linked doesn't offer any comparison to the NZ one.

Mine was a NZ one where the woman was quoted by Nissan $121K drive in, drive out, for a new battery.

Yours says "roughly" $10K plus labour for a full capacity replacement?
1. A full capacity replacement is not a new battery.
2. How much is the labour cost?
3. Does your "quote" include the old battery disposal fee?
Last I heard in NZ this is several thousand dollars. No idea about Aus though.

Hint, your article doesn't give the total cost for replacing a Gen 1 Nissan Leaf's old battery with a brand new replacement one.
The same guy "Mr Warren" also went on to say he had no idea what a current model Leaf would cost (to replace the battery in) if it shit itself in 8 years time.

Back to the drawing board.🤷‍♂️

Back to the drawing board.🤷‍♂️
You asked for the cost of replacement of a Gen 1 Leaf battery which Drive.com.au kindly provided. You originally didn't ask about labour, disposal fees and so on. Right down the bottom of your article, apparently the battery was eventually tested by someone with a OBD monitor and the correct software and tolerances were within spec for the age and milage of the car - so she drove away happy.

"It's right where I'd expect it for the age of Zoe's car, she should be quite comfortable with that," he says.

And she was. Once she understood that range was just an estimate that could change, she felt more comfortable.

She'd also gained tips for increasing the distance she could travel after each charge.

The rest of your comment is irrelevant to your original question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.