what do I have and what can I use?

Purflux alternatives are out there, and Mann judging by my stash. If you go Googling you'll find them. I really like Purflux for size and the lovely spanner you can buy to get them off! I had years of belting in a big screwdriver to undo the Z71 filters...

I have Purflux LS144B and LS169B in use on the R8. They have a 3/4" thread on these Renault applications. I think I bought a stash of them on ebay from Europe a few years ago but there are suppliers in Oz, which someone will no doubt post shortly!

Nice buy. I still marvel at how much work was done to make it!

Purflux alternatives are out there, and Mann judging by my stash. If you go Googling you'll find them. I really like Purflux for size and the lovely spanner you can buy to get them off! I had years of belting in a big screwdriver to undo the Z71 filters...

I have Purflux LS144B and LS169B in use on the R8. They have a 3/4" thread on these Renault applications. I think I bought a stash of them on ebay from Europe a few years ago but there are suppliers in Oz, which someone will no doubt post shortly!

Nice buy. I still marvel at how much work was done to make it!

Thanks for the Purflux info, will look into it.

Well my search for engine and gearbox weights have not born me any fruits. Does anyone know what a Renault 12 engine and or box weighs please?

Thanks for great pictures Col.
First owner and i believe, builder, was Bryan Morrow.

BTW, are there any alternative oil filters to the Z71? If not, where can i purchase ghe Z71 (i live in Blue Mountains NSW).

I use Mann Filters, these are German made. I bought a bulk lot from Sydney Filters ages ago. The part number is W77

Well my search for engine and gearbox weights have not born me any fruits. Does anyone know what a Renault 12 engine and or box weighs please?

There is thread on here somewhere that has some of that info in it. Can't remember which thread off the top of my head, but will have a look when I get a spare moment.

There is thread on here somewhere that has some of that info in it. Can't remember which thread off the top of my head, but will have a look when I get a spare moment.

Found it:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/renault-forum/130497-renault-16ts-engine-weight.html

If you want the weight of a gearbox, I can weight a Renault R17TL gearbox which would be about the same weight as a Renault R12 gearbox, using the same high precision method. :)

Easy upgrades include, 5 speed gearbox from R17TS/G, vented discs from R15/17. Dual vacuum unit from R17TS/G. Then of course the 807/44 etc engines. Then with some money they can go up to almost 2 litres. Also160 bhp is possible with under 1600cc engines. Plenty of experience on here with any mods.

O K, so got a Sakura oil filter from evilbay for $24 delivered. Wasn't sure about Sakura but reviews seemed good.
Weight seems to range from 85kg to 116kg for engine alone. Ad another 35ish kg for the box and we're looking at close to 150kg for 60 to 80hp. Read one of Frans 807 build threads and looks like several thousand ($1200 in webers alone) for about 130 to 150 highly strung (on the track) hp. This might be heresy to the French car lovers here (though rest of mechanicals would remain R12) but on a purely practical level, seems i can get stock reliable 160hp, albeit with a drop in torque, from a 1000cc motorbike engine with a 60kg drop in weight for about $1200. Power to weight would go from 1:0.127 to 1: 0.39 , a tripling with nice weight reduction and highly reliable. Anyway, this is dreaming further down the 'track'.

Easy upgrades include, 5 speed gearbox from R17TS/G, vented discs from R15/17. Dual vacuum unit from R17TS/G. Then of course the 807/44 etc engines. Then with some money they can go up to almost 2 litres. Also160 bhp is possible with under 1600cc engines. Plenty of experience on here with any mods.

I don't think a 365 box is going to be cheap even if he found one.

Not long ago bought a Weber look a like from China fo $200 delivered. It looks great.

O K, so got a Sakura oil filter from evilbay for $24 delivered. Wasn't sure about Sakura but reviews seemed good.
Weight seems to range from 85kg to 116kg for engine alone. Ad another 35ish kg for the box and we're looking at close to 150kg for 60 to 80hp. Read one of Frans 807 build threads and looks like several thousand ($1200 in webers alone) for about 130 to 150 highly strung (on the track) hp. This might be heresy to the French car lovers here (though rest of mechanicals would remain R12) but on a purely practical level, seems i can get stock reliable 160hp, albeit with a drop in torque, from a 1000cc motorbike engine with a 60kg drop in weight for about $1200. Power to weight would go from 1:0.127 to 1: 0.39 , a tripling with nice weight reduction and highly reliable. Anyway, this is dreaming further down the 'track'.

NAH never 116 kgs. 160 hp isn't a stressed engine. More than that may be.

As you want a motor bike engine go for it.

NAH never 116 kgs. 160 hp isn't a stressed engine. More than that may be.

As you want a motor bike engine go for it.

Agree with Sunroof, that is a completely different league and not much help from here at AF.

Frans

Hmmm, a Chinese weber for $200. How does it perform?
Got the 116kg from another thread, how far wrong is this for the 810-05 engine? Not knowing the myriad variations was assuming the 85kg was the alloy block and another comment mentioned 20kg more do assumed this was the iron block.
What do the larger capacity engines put out stock, what would be the cheaper ones to choose and what kind of price would i pay for one a running one if it was available . Also what would i get for a running stock 810-05? Haven't seen any on AF for sale.
Thanks again for all the input and sorry for so many questions.

Hmm ??

Hi saje :)
I do not think you are comparing the power to weight correctly. The weight to compare is the total weight of the car with driver for both situations. EG the car wet may be currently 500KG + driver. With the motorbike engine it might be 440 Kg + driver. :rolleyes: So actually only a much smaller % reduction not giving a 'trippling' of the power to weight ratio.
Just saying !! What gearbox would you use ?? The overall gearing would need to be twice that of the 12 gearbox/diff to work the motor bike engine effectively in its rev range. Not sure how you might do that.:eek:
Jaahn

Hi saje :)
I do not think you are comparing the power to weight correctly. The weight to compare is the total weight of the car with driver for both situations. EG the car wet may be currently 500KG + driver. With the motorbike engine it might be 440 Kg + driver. :rolleyes: So actually only a much smaller % reduction not giving a 'trippling' of the power to weight ratio.
Just saying !! What gearbox would you use ?? The overall gearing would need to be twice that of the 12 gearbox/diff to work the motor bike engine effectively in its rev range. Not sure how you might do that.:eek:
Jaahn

Hi Jaahn,
BEKs (bike engined cars - are a very common configuration especially in hillclimb cars, formula 1000, etc. Calculations were based on the current car weight including current 60hp R12 engine/box versus a 160/180hp litre bike engine (in which the 6 speed sequential box is integral, this drives a chain driving a sprocket coupled diff centre mounted on chassis via pillow block bearings. Relatively simple set up, very light and final drive ratio infinitely variable via sprocket changes. Though you are correct, i forgot to include driver weight in calculations.
But obviously if i can just bolt on a higher output budget Renault engine this would be much easier. I can just see myself getting a bit tired of 60hp :)

In it's current form it has history. Would be a shame to change it. Or if it was kept all together, that wouldn't be so bad.
But who am I to comment. Sorry

In it's current form it has history. Would be a shame to change it. Or if it was kept all together, that wouldn't be so bad.
But who am I to comment. Sorry

Like a Renault 17 TL????

As others have hinted at, there aren't many period engines that would not require work to get near 100hp.

Having said that, there is a bit of work going on with fitting latter twin cam Clio engines (k4m k4j etc etc) to those standard 12/10/8 gearboxes.

I think we decided a custome flywheel to assist in lining up a starter motor (although you could push start that thing) and did we have to change the input shaft? The bell housing is unchanged and lines up (which means you are half way there)

All engine mounting points would change, but it sounds like you could muster that.

Last edited: