Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Sunroof
  • 1 Post By COL
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By COL

Thread: Renault 16TS Engine weight ?

Default Renault 16TS Engine weight ?

Hi there fellow R16TS enthusiasts.

Is there anybody out there that can give me the weight of a R16TS engine fitted with all accessories.

I'm working out the height of the suspension on 'BARNIE' (less the engine fitted at this point)

Thanks guys
    Phil

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

I don't how the exact answer but close to that of a "Sierra" is what I understand to be the case.

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

Some distant memory tells me they were a mere 20kgs heavier than the Sierra motor and many folk tended not to worry about that in terms of its effect on ride height.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    Some distant memory tells me they were a mere 20kgs heavier than the Sierra motor and many folk tended not to worry about that in terms of its effect on ride height.
    20kg is more of a difference than I thought to be the case

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    20kg is more of a difference than I thought to be the case
    Me too. I thought they were pretty close to the same. Alan Moore knows the answer, perhaps he'll be on here again soon and answer you.

Dave at this website knows all. Site shows what fits with what
    Send him an email

Interesting reading for all Renault early froggers

Donor Cars

1000+ Posts

There are a few errors. They have missed the 1605cc engine. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Me too. I thought they were pretty close to the same. Alan Moore knows the answer, perhaps he'll be on here again soon and answer you.
    I did weigh a complete 807 motor (although may not have had a flywheel and clutch that I weighed separately later) over 30 years ago, and my failing memory thinks it was 85 Kg. I do remember lifting one out of a wreck with just two of us, some rope and a 4 x 2. Phil, could your motor be moved/lowered onto a scale and weighed? When I fitted the the 807 into my R8 originally, I just cut a coil off the back springs and that was the suspension set with about 2.5 degrees of negative camber. I would now use springs with a higher spring rate, but probably still want 2.5 degrees with a swing axle set up for brisk driving.

I expect the owner before you, given the other mods your car has would have the height and such reasonably sorted. I would test it as is and go from there.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

1000+ Posts

Hmm! Lopping one turn off does itself increase the rate by around 10%. If one stiffens the rear roll stiffness, then one should stiffen the front as well or the handling balance will be beyond what is tuneable by tyre pressures. Even 10% is noticeable.

I favour a bit more -ve camber (3-4) & a transverse leaf camber compensator to postpone & smooth limit behaviour. My 4CVG is without it at the moment & the difference is very noticeable despite it benefitting from the resultant increase of about a degree in -ve camber.

Incidentally, if anyone knows of someone who'd do a custom set of coils (apart from Lovell's in Sydney) then I'd like the contact (the W.A. mob have ceased I gather). I'm after a set of softer rears for my 4CVG (long story).
    Last edited by 4cvg; 30th December 2017 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks heaps guys for all your input. Interesting what you wrote Alan and following comments by 4cvg. I had a guess it was around 90Kg so that figure is what I need to put a dummy weight in the back so I can measure the car to ground height. I'm going to take Alan's advice and trial what is at the moment and see where we go from there.

Thanks again Guys
    Happy New Year to you all, bet my life I won't be on 'aussiefrogs' tonight, It's party time
    Cheers Phil

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Incidentally, if anyone knows of someone who'd do a custom set of coils (apart from Lovell's in Sydney) then I'd like the contact (the W.A. mob have ceased I gather). I'm after a set of softer rears for my 4CVG (long story).
    Try Kings Springs in QLd or East Coast Suspensions (Dave Falson) in Sydney. Dave uses a few custom spring suppliers for rally, road and circuit.

Peter, I have used King Springs on the Gold Coast to make the various specialty springs over many years, including the ones in the rear of my 4CV, although I have no idea of the specs now. I have used a set of what I think are Floride front springs in the front that are 1mm heavier wire than whatever else I had in there. This is to lift it up somewhat to give my low slung front radiator some more ground clearance.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

1000+ Posts

I have used King Springs for my R12 G replica. They do need a fair bit of information about what you want. I got my springs uprated from 17 G springs and I used a supension place that had the ability to test the compression rates etc of the original springs and then suggest a suitable increase based on my expected use of the car. Initially I only put the front springs in and then went for a run and easily spun on gravel hence the need to also uprate the rear springs which were now too soft relative to the new front springs.

1000+ Posts

Mary thanks for the Kings Springs lead guys. I shall follow it up if the refurbished C.C. plus deliberately-chosen-as-saggy pair of standard R10 springs doesn't behave as I want. I can give Kings the exact specs I want.

To Alan: with all the weight shifted to the front of the 4CVG I found that it was bottoming the front on to the stops on one particular favourite bumpy comer. As it was handling beautifully at the time on the tyres then available, I didn't want to fiddle with rates so just added the thinnest (13 mm) option of those (rally-directed) aluminium spacer discs that sit on top of the coils - cured things nicely.

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    I have used King Springs for my R12 G replica. They do need a fair bit of information about what you want. I got my springs uprated from 17 G springs and I used a supension place that had the ability to test the compression rates etc of the original springs and then suggest a suitable increase based on my expected use of the car. Initially I only put the front springs in and then went for a run and easily spun on gravel hence the need to also uprate the rear springs which were now too soft relative to the new front springs.
    Odd. I would have predicted greater plough understeer from the relatively stiffer fronts, not tailiness.

1000+ Posts

Peter it went from understeer to oversteer really quickly so decided to even up the springs. I had always intended to but wasn't sure what to do. In the end a rally suspension guy made the suggestions. When it had R17G springs both ends it wasn't too bad. The car hasn't been back on the road since even with the rebuilt rear end. Bit of rust to fix and a coat of paint and now a full roadworthy will be needed, so its a project in waiting.
    bowie likes this.

COL

Default Back To The Weight Of A R16TS Engine

Out of curiosity, as I happen to have an R17TL motor which is pretty close to its R16TS Brother with DCOE 40's on it sitting out in the shed I decided to grab the cheap bathroom scales that I bought from the Kmart and weigh the engine. The weight of the engine complete with carbs, water pump, alternator, starter motor, flywheel and clutch is 116 Kg.

As a bit of a calibration check I weighed myself before and after on the scales and I weighed the same and they indicated approximately my weight so I would say 116 Kg is pretty close.
    bowie likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

my weight so I would say 116 Kg is pretty close.
    Time to lose some. Unless you are 2.4 m tall, you are verging on obese.
    COL likes this.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

COL

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Time to lose some. Unless you are 2.4 m tall, you are verging on obese.
    I'm no where near 116 Kg but the way I wrote that you would think I was
    jaahn likes this.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

I am aware of your humor.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

COL

This is from Sunroof's post in another thread

"One thread spoke about the weight of an 807 motor. I cannot find where so here is my reply re Sierra weights.

Just for fun I checked my 956cc Sierra engine complete with genny, starter, clutch etc. It weighed 86 kilos. So lets say an R10 or 12 motor could weigh a bit more, perhaps some where between 86 and 90 kilos."
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Thread Information