what do I have and what can I use?

Saje Brian morrow was in Kempsey sporting car club so you may be able to contact him through them, where abouts in the blue. Mountains are you as I'm working at Lithgow and would like to have a look

Well it wasn't the coil. Looks like the aftermarket electronic ignition module is either playing up or goneski. Would go the cheapest way possible and put points back in but unfortunately the points cam was removed to fit magnetic trigger.

Ah, well surely someone has a dizzy floating around you can just test with?

If not, I'll have a dizzy you can borrow in a week or so.

Just talked to builder of the car and he says engine is bog standard, didn't fit new cam etc.
Going back to points in dizzy. Where can i find theee in Australia?
Mostly disappointed to miss out twice on superchargers for under $100. Gotta be quick.

Bit of a nightmare fixing ignition issues. Turns out was electronic ignition module, and side sparking spark plus. Running rich but pretty good now. Just need to strengthen harness mounts and ready to go. And missed on another supercharger.

You did send me a dizzy when you looked after me with those manifolds and zee Weber (sorry Saje).

But if you still are having any drams, I'm about to replace my dizzy with an ecu, you could have an extended loan of the dizzy if you needed :wink2:

I will have a Ducellier distributor available in a week or two from my V85 engine

Thanks heaps for the offers but got the dizzy running well with a little work. Running sweet now.

All ready to go-or so i thought. Turns out one front brake hose is cactus. Anyone got a renault 12 front brake hose before i order a new one?

The flexible hose from the caliper?

Sorry.

I reckon it wouldn't be that exotic, take it off and walk up into a brake place?

Yeah, but avoid any of the national franchises (you know who they are). They think metric fittings are exotic and have asked me once for 400$ to replace the hosery on my 12. Got new hoses off ebay at a fraction of the price and fitted them myself.

Metric? All my Lockheed brake fittings on the Renaults are imperial and the brake places can make up a new hose with new material to Australian standards. They have had the correct end fittings in stock every time I've needed hoses. $50 per hose last time I think, not bad when you consider Audi service places charge, I'm told, over $200 per hour.... I've given up buying hoses of indeterminate age from OS.

Maybe R12s are metric, but R8/10 are certainly not.

Metric? All my Lockheed brake fittings on the Renaults are imperial and the brake places can make up a new hose with new material to Australian standards. They have had the correct end fittings in stock every time I've needed hoses. $50 per hose last time I think, not bad when you consider Audi service places charge, I'm told, over $200 per hour.... I've given up buying hoses of indeterminate age from OS.

Maybe R12s are metric, but R8/10 are certainly not.

R12's are imperial on all the brake fittings.

The Virage is where things changed, the wheel cylinders and calipers are imperial but the master cylinder is metric.

I don't know what the guy was on about and I didn't check because I didn't need to have new hoses made. But that's what he said. Maybe he was trying to pull my leg. For 400$ it was worth a shot.

Now considering your brakes are Lockheed, (perhaps Aussie content?) maybe that explains why they are imperial. Not sure what the brakes on my R12 were.

Overseas, I would be surprised if anything was not metric. After all the french invented the metric system.

The imperial threads were used in France on Lockheed brakes, nothing to do with local content. I was quite surprised when I discovered this a few years ago. Very surprised actually!!

My 4cv has huge connectors, used on trucks the brake place said. I can't recall the size but it was something like 11/16" and the fine threaded ones on the later 4cv/Dauphine/R8 etc also are some funny imperial thread, 3/8" or something. Early small ones used a copper washer and later ones sealed on an internal taper maybe? Again, can't recall exactly but they are all imperial.

I reckon being able to get brand new hoses made down the road is terrific. You can therefore get braided stainless hoses and improve things even more.

Cheers

I don't know what the guy was on about and I didn't check because I didn't need to have new hoses made. But that's what he said. Maybe he was trying to pull my leg. For 400$ it was worth a shot.

Now considering your brakes are Lockheed, (perhaps Aussie content?) maybe that explains why they are imperial. Not sure what the brakes on my R12 were.

Overseas, I would be surprised if anything was not metric. After all the french invented the metric system.

Thanks for the help. Found new ones on Ebay from the U.S. All countries used 3/8" 24 t.p.i. All up shipped here cost $41 for a pair. Nice.

As others have hinted at, there aren't many period engines that would not require work to get near 100hp.

Having said that, there is a bit of work going on with fitting latter twin cam Clio engines (k4m k4j etc etc) to those standard 12/10/8 gearboxes.

I think we decided a custome flywheel to assist in lining up a starter motor (although you could push start that thing) and did we have to change the input shaft? The bell housing is unchanged and lines up (which means you are half way there)

All engine mounting points would change, but it sounds like you could muster that.

After a long break i'm back. Rebuilt front end and lots of other bits and pieces. Just need to sort out a brake issue and all will be finished.
Can i ask where u guys source bits and pieces in Sydney/NSW for older Renault please.

Bowie , was this k4m adapting to r12 gearbox ever accomplished by anyone? Am i reading it correctly that the engine will bolt straight on but would require flywheel and input shaft changes. Driving an old clio 172 now......hmmmm.
As it turns out my company will close and my position made redundant come December. We are moving to Dubbo and probably won't be taking the car with us. Question is, do i take it for my first blast in it or just sell it. I know if i drive it , it will be very hard to let it go.