New Alpine - will we really see one on the road?

Ford have dropped DSG type auto transmissions for torque converter type. As far as I know DSG means dual mass flywheel also which I can live without.
If it’s getting long in the tooth I prefer a torque converter.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Almost right, DSG in actual fact a direct shift gear box, Or EDC (efficient dual clutch)in Renault parlance.

Dual mass flywheels are, unsurprisingly usually abbreviated to DMF.

However nearly all DSGs do have a DMF.

Ford has enormous problems with their DSG and I suspect, with a class action on the horizon, dug into their parts bin and decided a outdated trans was a cheaper option than sorting out their DSG.

For obvious reasons I referred to DMF in long form because many are a bit over endless acronyms.........and “means” as in “associated with”.
“Dual clutch” is a generic expression applicable to mainly VAG and Daimler Benz plus some exotic road cars.
The new 8-10speed lockup torque converter type transmissions achieve the same economy and are similarly seamless.
When it’s out of warranty I’ll always take the torque converter type.

Apologies Nagaman, you really "threw" me with that errant "also"

"Also" is a focusing adjunct and is normally placed before the phrase or sentence which is being modified.

Seeing "also" after the phrase it was intended to modify completely caught me off guard.

I now understand your meaning . I would expect to see the sentence written like this:

As far as I know DSG also means a dual mass flywheel: which I can live without.

This is case and point where word order is critical to clear understanding.

I'll quote KL's favorite example of importance of punctuation and capital letters.

correct: I helped Uncle Jack, off his horse.

incorrect: I helped uncle jack off his horse.

Either way, you challenged me to recall my English grammar rules. Thanks for that.

:cheers:

Last edited:
For obvious reasons I referred to DMF in long form because many are a bit over endless acronyms.........and “means” as in “associated with”.
“Dual clutch” is a generic expression applicable to mainly VAG and Daimler Benz plus some exotic road cars.
The new 8-10speed lockup torque converter type transmissions achieve the same economy and are similarly seamless.
When it’s out of warranty I’ll always take the torque converter type.

They sound great, are designed for north south installation (Toyota at least) and no-one gives measurements or weights. Every time you use the slush in a slush box your drive is slipping just as much if not more than a dry or wet clutch DSG/EDC transmission and they are proud to tell us that a gear change is completed in 0.4 of a second as opposed to 150 milliseconds. Sounds like a recipe for mediocrity.............https://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/powertrain/transmission/

My take on these DSG/EDC boxes or what ever the manufacturer wants to call them.

I think its great to have plenty of gears to choose from (the more the better) as there will be a gear that is correct for the situation. It will also keep the engine operating at its most efficient RPM therefore saving fuel.

As for how the gearbox gets from one gear to the next does not really matter in the scheme of things out on the road, you are not going to save a lot of time because your gearbox can get from one gear to the next in 150 ms. On a race track it is different, everyone is going as fast as they can. This is not the case on the road, you are held back by restrictive speed limits; other road users; congestion in the cities; etc

While i'm here my preferred method of changing gears is the old fashioned manual, although I have an auto in the driveway because to have the engine and spec level in the car I must have the auto.

I agree mostly with what Col says, we need to remind ourselves that none of the new A110 models are designed for the track. They are designed for the "driving experience" and Alpine suggests that most of the customers for their new car will prefer EDC. I can add that the EDC systems are extremely power efficient, and give fuel economy benefits.

I

As to paddles? I seldom use the them. The DSG will override my choice if it's likely to cause issues to trans or gearbox. And I very , very seldom find the DSG in the "wrong" gear.

This is not so for the Getrag in the Evo X when driven in manual mode. It selects whatever gear you choose at any revs instantly. Go down 2 gears even though the motor is near redline the rev limiter cuts in... ask me how I know. It is no slushbox.
I presume the dual clutch Getrag in the Alpine will do the same.

Both Evo X and Future Renault Alpine are true sports cars. And quite rightly, should be designed for certain amount of "driver abuse".

The vehicle I have is performance road car. With a stock VW CTHE engine and seven speed dry clutch DSG.

I would assume Skoda wish to protect themselves from warranty (5 year unlimited Kms) claims caused by road racers driving the vehicle like a racing car.

I'd note that Renault already offer a shorter warranty on the Sports vehicles than their passenger vehicles.

Regardless, my vehicle has sufficient performance for my purposes.

Its a handful! Looks like an LSD and firmer damping is required for really pushing it on a track.

Nope, I'd want to be doing my own rev blips and rowing a gear lever.

It's like those braggart big game "hunters" who pay a fee to sit in a camouflaged shelter by a waterhole, kill whatever beast strolls down for a drink and proclaim themselves as a modern day Buffalo Bill.

Nope, I'd want to be doing my own rev blips and rowing a gear lever.

It's like those braggart big game "hunters" who pay a fee to sit in a camouflaged shelter by a waterhole, kill whatever beast strolls down for a drink and proclaim themselves as a modern day Buffalo Bill.

I suspect you are likely become extinct, along with the dodo bird, who was another who couldn't adapt to a modern environment.

I'd like to think I'm driving a car not hunting big game : there is quite a difference. :wink2:

And I prefer electric drive with no gears at all...

Gears are so last century :tongue:

And I prefer electric drive with no gears at all...

Gears are so last century :tongue:

Wrong! Louis Renault's first car with a gearbox (World's first three speed and reverse) was made TWO centuries ago in the nineteenth century, 1898 to be precise..:renplak:

It's amazing how so many people like the way it drives:

The people who don't like the new Alpine, in this thread, are the people who haven't driven one. Or those who are happy to let their biased view of DSG transmissions color their judgement. :crazy:

I'd drive one in a flash. :evil:

I have an A110 from last century, it has an old fashioned gearbox and clutch.

I'm not against the EDC box.

The car is a modern take on the old A110 competing in the market place along other similar offerings from other manufacturers.

There are a few things I don't like about the new A110 and they have nothing to do with driving it.

I don't like the centre console that looks like someone has just glued an Ipad to the dashboard, we have a Hilux at work like this and it just looks like an add on.

They could of called it an A120 so that when I Google info for the A110 I did not get the new car come up

Like all modern cars it has grown in size

I have an A110 from last century, it has an old fashioned gearbox and clutch.

I'm not against the EDC box.

The car is a modern take on the old A110 competing in the market place along other similar offerings from other manufacturers.

There are a few things I don't like about the new A110 and they have nothing to do with driving it.

I don't like the centre console that looks like someone has just glued an Ipad to the dashboard, we have a Hilux at work like this and it just looks like an add on.

They could of called it an A120 so that when I Google info for the A110 I did not get the new car come up

Like all modern cars it has grown in size

How's the centre console on your original A110, Col? :wink2: