New Alpine - will we really see one on the road?

Some of us are lazy Kim but I hasten to say that if I had the spare mucho cash, this is the car I would love to buy rather than a Tesla!

A rough EDC 150 milliseconds means the box has changed gear well before the driver has even moved his grey matter.........lazy or not, that's performance.....

EDC seems to have the better of manual gearboxes these days. I wonder why racing and rally cars use them? Surely a manual driver can do a better job? :tongue:

You should have a conversation with David Richards from Prodrive Kim.

This style of box was developed by them for faster gear changes and for every gear change to be perfect, and to not compromise the gearbox by the odd bad gear change done by the driver.

I don't doubt the technology but I do wonder if it serves my purpose. It may be faster than I and more precise and so on, but I might want to downshift earlier than the computer thinks I should. You know, set myself up for a corner exit.

Same price range as the 4c? Now that becomes a hard decision.

Renault-Alpine-A110-2017-Vorschau-1200x800-2c4189a88c0ec36b.jpg

800px-Festival_automobile_international_2014_-_Alfa_Romeo_4C_-_023.jpg

I prefer a manual, if I was to pay this much for a two seater then I'd demand the gearbox I want. Plus long term, what's cheaper to repair? I don't drive on the track so that argument is pointless.

Sent from my E6883 using aussiefrogs mobile app

If keeping with the original A110 experience a manual transmission would be an expected option. I love manuals but on the other hand, the Getrag dual clutch transmission is brilliant. Our Evolution X has a six speed Getrag, instant changes with no hesitation even when shifting down (or up) several gears at a time no matter the revs. The Getrag electronics are so good that if in Sport -Drive mode it intuitively picks the right gear blipping on downshifts. On tight roads you need only concentrate on steering and braking which can be involving enough if going at a fair clip. Alternatively, you can select your own gears instantly to add another dimension. The only thing missing is the clutch. Give one a try.

You should have a conversation with David Richards from Prodrive Kim.

This style of box was developed by them for faster gear changes and for every gear change to be perfect, and to not compromise the gearbox by the odd bad gear change done by the driver.

My post was an attempt at a joke, Col! A rough EDC 150 milliseconds means the box has changed gear well before the driver has even moved his grey matter.........lazy or not, that's performance.....

My own highly personal view is that anyone who can't see the benefits of a good dual clutch gearbox has A/. Never driven one, or B/. Never understood how to drive one! There is a very nice 7 speed fitted to the wife's new Megane Sedan. Seamless un-noticable shifts upwards, faster than I could ever make manually, whilst it will downshift instantly as well. It can be driven exactly the same as a manual, but without a clutch pedal. What's not to like?

I'm in total agreement with you.

I've grown to like DSG transmissions. (and the fuel efficiency :wink2:)

edit:
And once you start driving the vehicle like a "clutchless manual" you have made the transition to DSG.

Last edited:
And whats all this about it not being in the spirit of the original Alpine. It was a sports car! Made with the latest technology available at the time. I suppose letters to the editor back then upon it's release where along the lines of demanding non-synchromesh gearboxes :p

A while ago Fiat did exactly this - they brought out a hot version of their new "500", all stripped out and Kevlared, with a six speed dog box

Have not seen any in Oz, but as one who resents the introduction of synchromesh ( think of how much lower the muppet count on our roads would be were there no synchromesh or automatic transmissions!) , I might have been tempted

It was intended predominantly as a track day special, but legally road registerable and intended also for the crazed enthusiast to drive to work

Andrew

And whats all this about it not being in the spirit of the original Alpine. It was a sports car! Made with the latest technology available at the time. I suppose letters to the editor back then upon it's release where along the lines of demanding non-synchromesh gearboxes :p

I'd suggest buying and driving a "hot Fiat 500" would categorise you as a member of the "count". :D

Hehehehehe!

Good one.

But I do sympathise with Andrew.

With one caveat. If I had to drive myself to the hospital in an emergency, I am not sure I would make it (and I have had to drive myself to the hospital in emergencies).