Dspecial restoration 1975

Looks excellent Phillipe. Well done!

Reading through, can I add a couple of comments:

With the bonded roof, a bed of Sikaflex works well, BUT, you have to make sure you have the 8 d-shaped spacers on the rails to keep it from sinking too far and also tool the Sikaflex to leave the edge of the outer rail free of sealant so the decorative rubber has enough room to seat when the stainless strip is clipped over. Awful job in my experience. If you fit the headliner before fitting the roof, taping plastic sheeting onto the trim edges keeps dirty/sticky hands covered in sealant off while fitting up.

The decorative rubber strip will initially appear to be loose at the corners above the A posts. To get around that, you have to pull it tight around the corner and then it lays over. Obviously, that's a problem because with the bonded roof, you have to fit the side trims first and have the rubber strip at the front loose until you fit up the two trim fittings across the front. Leave the length or rubber across the front a bit short when fitting the side trims and then it will stretch and lay itself over and against the roof panel at the corners. it should also be long enough to continue on in and behind the C-pillar cover. Easier said than done as getting the side trim strips to seat over that decorative strip is quite difficult and the strips are very easily deformed.

With the door bottom rubber strip holders, your panel beater has evidently plug welded them on. Another way to approach this is to use steel pop rivets with a washer behind to secure it and spread seam sealer along the primed contact area. This can help with the original doors as the metal is so thin and it also keep water out. The metal of the repair sections is probably 1.0mm, while the original doors the metal is maybe 0.7mm or less and the pressed form is the source of strength rather than metal thickness.

Last edited:
Looks excellent Phillipe. Well done!

Reading through, can I add a couple of comments:

With the bonded roof, a bed of Sikaflex works well, BUT, you have to make sure you have the 8 d-shaped spacers on the rails to keep it from sinking too far and also tool the Sikaflex to leave the edge of the outer rail free of sealant so the decorative rubber has enough room to seat when the stainless strip is clipped over. Awful job in my experience. If you fit the headliner before fitting the roof, taping plastic sheeting onto the trim edges keeps dirty/sticky hands covered in sealant off while fitting up.

The decorative rubber strip will initially appear to be loose at the corners above the A posts. To get around that, you have to pull it tight around the corner and then it lays over. Obviously, that's a problem because with the bonded roof, you have to fit the side trims first and have the rubber strip at the front loose until you fit up the two trim fittings across the front. Leave the length or rubber across the front a bit short when fitting the side trims and then it will stretch and lay itself over and against the roof panel at the corners. it should also be long enough to continue on in and behind the C-pillar cover. Easier said than done as getting the side trim strips to seat over that decorative strip is quite difficult and the strips are very easily deformed.

With the door bottom rubber strip holders, your panel beater has evidently plug welded them on. Another way to approach this is to use steel pop rivets with a washer behind to secure it and spread seam sealer along the primed contact area. This can help with the original doors as the metal is so thin and it also keep water out. The metal of the repair sections is probably 1.0mm, while the original doors the metal is maybe 0.7mm or less and the pressed form is the source of strength rather than metal thickness.

Certainly David and thank you for adding your experience, there is little information about bonded roof on the internet and I’m sure people wishing to bond their roof back on will appreciate learning from other people’s own experience. I didn’t use the 8 D spacers the reason being I though without the rubber seal it would still seat to low and honestly I didn’t want to tackle the dress rubber, the roof headliner was fitted after mounting the roof back into position by a mobile roof liner. The worst part about refitting the roof is the mess created by the Sikaflex you need to clean the excess rapidly and before its set too hard, you have about an hour window.
I was lucky enough to find a car restorer that really can use a welder and the job he did on my car is unbelievable it’s the best rust repair project ever for me and he does the job meticulously, I wish I would have known him years back and he also sprays so turnkey package

Dspecial restoration

Another weekend gone and a bit more achieved despite another sticking hot day yesterday so let’s see the rear windows are back in all door inner & outer handles refitted as well as the window seals and door lower rubbers , the bonnet is finally completed and back on the car alignment almost right.

20170325_141547.jpg
20170326_104739.jpg
20170326_104631.jpg
20170326_104622.jpg
20170326_104615.jpg
20170325_172657.jpg
20170325_150109.jpg
20170325_150104.jpg
20170325_144134.jpg
20170325_144127.jpg
20170325_144034.jpg
20170326_105242_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Keep the updates and progress up Philippe. You have saved a D and turned it into a masterpiece that all Deesees deserve to be. Have you thought about doing videos? :)

Regards, Syd

Getting there phillipe! Hours of work to put the front mudguards together, but the end is very much in sight!
Beautiful alignment of the panels especially the bonnet.
Maybe you could have a look at my car one day and give me some tips re the panel gaps.
Regards, David

Getting there phillipe! Hours of work to put the front mudguards together, but the end is very much in sight!
Beautiful alignment of the panels especially the bonnet.
Maybe you could have a look at my car one day and give me some tips re the panel gaps.
Regards, David

hi David
Ive just worked out who you are "Caisson" from Grafton :wink2:
The guards wont take that long once everything is cleaned up and ready to go.
No worries panel adjustment is relatively easy as long as not previous accident detected

Keep the updates and progress up Philippe. You have saved a D and turned it into a masterpiece that all Deesees deserve to be. Have you thought about doing videos? :)

Regards, Syd

Hi
Ive already posted a video on page 6 anyways here it is again enjoy; doing more videos, well will see as it is time consuming. im happy with the color gris brumaire is just stunning suit the D really well not many on the road in that color and a Citroen color for the purist

https://youtu.be/gCldnhtXS_Y

Dspecial restoration

Good weather this weekend to work on the D, so all windows now fitted with new rail guides, new rubber inner and outer rubber seals and new rubber plugs nice and tight with smooth operation.

20170401_144439.jpg
20170401_144411.jpg
20170401_143711.jpg
20170401_174707.jpg
20170401_144415.jpg
20170401_143727.jpg
20170401_144420.jpg
20170401_144407.jpg

Last edited:
Dspecial restoration

Also fitted all the door cards, after market but surprisingly good quality, windscreen wipers, front plate holder and so on, basically coming to a grand final with just the headlight assemblies to go.
BTW I’m after the 2 aluminium air ducts left and right used to cool the disc brakes. CAN SOMEONE HELP???????

20170401_153649.jpg
20170402_103551.jpg
20170402_103523.jpg
20170402_100034.jpg
20170402_095954.jpg
20170402_095758.jpg
20170401_175632.jpg
20170401_174655.jpg
20170401_174607.jpg
20170401_174510.jpg
20170401_164757.jpg
20170401_164754.jpg
20170401_153656.jpg
20170402_103822.jpg

Last edited:
Citroen Andre can hep with NOS for the right hand side, he may also have good used for the left. . .

https://www.citroen-andre-shop.com/...drive-shafts/nos-cooling-duct-for-brake-disc/

The car is looking absolutely superb, love the colour especially with the interior/exterior combination - very classy :headbang:

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris I’m very pleased with the colour scheme as well, the only thing is the door cards are slightly darker then the seats but that’s all they had at the time when ordered but very good quality, having said that a little contrast doesn’t look so bad!!!.
My HP pump decided to leak from the body and I definitely want to replace it with one properly rebuilt so I’ve just ordered one from Citrotech so another Au$700 spent expensive so I think before I spend a fortune on those ducts surely someone out there must have a good used pair they don’t need I’m prepared to pay reasonable money for them so come on lift your hand up!!!!!

Pilippe! Send the pump to Ian Steele he wont charge anything like that and it will be good

You're a total perfectionist Philippe
I think I know what the expression "money no object "means now. Don't think I have brake ducts sorry.

Congratulations again Philippe, that colour is perfect, so glad you chose to go with factory colour scheme. A friend had a lovely car ( ID 19 ) in the same colour scheme, I have always admired it. But what you have achieved looks even better.

I know most of, if not all the air intake ducts available are all NOS, but they are only available for the right hand side. Jean Blondeau maybe worth trying for the left hand side, Citroen Andre has the right hand side ones.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 5.20.23 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 5.20.23 PM.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 359
Congratulations again Philippe, that colour is perfect, so glad you chose to go with factory colour scheme. A friend had a lovely car ( ID 19 ) in the same colour scheme, I have always admired it. But what you have achieved looks even better.

I know most of, if not all the air intake ducts available are all NOS, but they are only available for the right hand side. Jean Blondeau maybe worth trying for the left hand side, Citroen Andre has the right hand side ones.

Thank you Michael for your compliments, I’m glad I picked this colour, it really looks good on the D. My brother in law bought a Dspecial brand new Gris Brumaire in 1970 and I’ve never forgot how nice it looked thus the reason why I choose this colour.
I’m currently in touch with Andre Citroen he is searching for a set possibly 1 new and 1 second hand also Citroservice is also searching for me. So lets see what happens.

Dspecial restoration

Nice day yesterday so I started working on the headlight assemblies they are quite dirty I managed to clean two sets of front glass and sand back one of the headlight housing, I need to choose the best glass out of the 2 sets I do have. They are all chipped and scratched. I will be replacing the headlights with H4 after market and will need to modify the connectors.
My new Hydraulic Pump arrived on Friday from Citrotech and it looks amazing you can fill the quality it’s a fully rebuild unit expensive but worth it once you see it.
I haven’t picked the colour for the headlight housing as yet but that grey rose colour looks close to the original.

20170409_093902.jpg
20170409_093928.jpg
20170409_095044.jpg
20170409_100233.jpg
20170409_171602.jpg
20170409_171749.jpg
20170409_171816.jpg
20170410_064805.jpg
20170410_064826.jpg

Phillipe,
H4 connectors can be had as a generic part from any auto store (you already knew that) but you can buy a more D specific conector from most of the Euro suppliers these have the correct wire colours and bullet connections so basically plug and play
Wiring connector for headlamp bulb - suitable for use with our H4 headlamps
https://www.citroworld.com/en/webshop//h4-bulb-connector-2D5427352

For painting the headlight buckets I used Anchor brand aerosol paint, a clear plastic primer and Moss Vale Sands as a decent colour match to original. Original are of course a moulded plastic so as such there is no definitive paint colour match, but the colour tends to a light grey/beige, Gris Rose is too pink IMO.

9532d1288955889-greenblood%92s-d-very-special-rejuvenation-2009-21remove-bucket10.jpg

58359d1405399749-greenblood%92s-d-very-special-rejuvenation-2009-57-headlight-bucket-glass-trim.jpg

The Anchor paint is acrylic based and gives a nice satin finish, mine have been painted for several years now and still look like the day they were painted - no cracking/crazing/flaking etc. Appears to be a relatively permanent solution if your light buckets need paint to restore - any paint system will need a plastic primer!

Cheers
Chris