Dspecial restoration 1975

Marvellous Phillipe, the car looks excellent. 13 months of toiling is hard work. Took me about the same time to turn the Blue Danube into the nice looking and driving "Soufflé " it is now. Well worth it...
Just did a trip from Brisbane to Byron Bay last week without a hitch and without a complaint from the cheap seats!!! Comfortable no doubt!

well done, looks really good. As Peter said: Another one saved. Enjoy.

Sven

Marvellous Phillipe, the car looks excellent. 13 months of toiling is hard work. Took me about the same time to turn the Blue Danube into the nice looking and driving "Soufflé " it is now. Well worth it...
Just did a trip from Brisbane to Byron Bay last week without a hitch and without a complaint from the cheap seats!!! Comfortable no doubt!

well done, looks really good. As Peter said: Another one saved. Enjoy.

Sven

Thank you Sven, I'm glad to see that you're enjoying the blue Danube by taking it on long trips, that’s what there are best for; once they are restored to that standard they are actually quite reliable and as I said before the Dspecial/Super won’t give too much hassles especially once the 123 has been fitted and the carby overhauled. I would take Mr. Grey anywhere in Australia that’s how confident I am.
I won’t be doing any more restos; having 2 DS, one being the top of the range and the other being the bottom of the range I feel quite satisfied.
I will be looking forward to your next resto hopefully another D.

20170624_161429.jpg
DSCN6104.jpg

Well Phillippe, it hasn't been another DS. I strayed and turned an ugly BMW R100RS into a cute scrambler looking bike.

In its original guise.... horrible colour!
IMG_1787.JPG

Now it matches the DS in style, but is a tad noisier :D
IMG_6367.jpg

But to keep the connection with the Citroen community going, Chris did the tank stickers for me - of course very well done and looking magnificent.

IMG_6375.jpg

Took only four months, let's see what is next on the to do list.

Sven

Well Phillippe, it hasn't been another DS. I strayed and turned an ugly BMW R100RS into a cute scrambler looking bike.

In its original guise.... horrible colour!
View attachment 97370

Now it matches the DS in style, but is a tad noisier :D
View attachment 97371

But to keep the connection with the Citroen community going, Chris did the tank stickers for me - of course very well done and looking magnificent.

View attachment 97372

Took only four months, let's see what is next on the to do list.

Sven

I must say a little different from a D but nice all the same well done Sven!! I wish I could ride a nice bike like yours but Im too old just cant wait to see your next project hopefully a 4 wheeler :dance:

Excellent Phillipe! Immaculate DSpecial! One question , how many times have you made the vow
" my last restoration, never again! " ? See you at Silverwater.

Excellent Phillipe! Immaculate DSpecial! One question , how many times have you made the vow
" my last restoration, never again! " ? See you at Silverwater.

Thanks David, Answer to your question don’t wait too long standing on your head awaiting my next restoration as it could be fatal......:banana:

Last edited:
The D got a serious polishing yesterday and the results speaks for them self really really glossy look, the dash fitted with LED makes a huge difference the rear view mirror needs fitting back to the windscreen looking for a reliable glue any advice? Tomorrow will fit the huge sealing rubber under the boot lid that will be fun!! the car has traveled 11 km so far without any issues. the roof has been water tested and no leaks :)
I’m now looking forward to Silverwater car show next week.

20170706_161803.jpg
20170706_161812.jpg
20170706_161901.jpg
20170706_161944.jpg
20170706_163402.jpg
20170706_171318.jpg
20170706_171415.jpg
20170706_172311.jpg
20170706_172432.jpg

Looking fantastic

The windscreen guy that fitted my mirror used silicon of all things. I had my doubts but he reasoned it should be fine, will be much easier to get off if needed and because he used black silicone, you don't need that sticker to hide the ugly glue. It looks fine from the outside if you trim excess silicone internally. It has been there 2 years and no problems. If it does come off at some stage, an easy fix. I guess the experts should know

Peter

Looking fantastic

The windscreen guy that fitted my mirror used silicon of all things. I had my doubts but he reasoned it should be fine, will be much easier to get off if needed and because he used black silicone, you don't need that sticker to hide the ugly glue. It looks fine from the outside if you trim excess silicone internally. It has been there 2 years and no problems. If it does come off at some stage, an easy fix. I guess the experts should know

Peter

Thanks Peter
Sounds like an easy way I've heard that the glue available at super cheap don't work properly I will give it a go

Last edited:
Thanks Peter
Sounds like an easy way I've heard that the glue available at super cheap don't work properly I will give it a go
Silicon sounds interesting, but how to keep the mirror in place till it cures? I have only used the 2 pack kit from a motor factor. Worked fine no problem. Apparently to take a mirror off the windscreen, warm the screen with a hot air gun or similar.

Sent from my LG-K520 using aussiefrogs mobile app

The D got a serious polishing yesterday and the results speaks for them self really really glossy look, the dash fitted with LED makes a huge difference the rear view mirror needs fitting back to the windscreen looking for a reliable glue any advice? Tomorrow will fit the huge sealing rubber under the boot lid that will be fun!! the car has traveled 11 km so far without any issues. the roof has been water tested and no leaks :)
I’m now looking forward to Silverwater car show next week.

View attachment 97801View attachment 97802View attachment 97803View attachment 97804View attachment 97805View attachment 97806View attachment 97807View attachment 97808View attachment 97809
Amazing instrument cluster Phillipe!

Silicon sounds interesting, but how to keep the mirror in place till it cures? I have only used the 2 pack kit from a motor factor. Worked fine no problem. Apparently to take a mirror off the windscreen, warm the screen with a hot air gun or similar.

i suspect it was a quick cure type because it cured very quickly. Agree hot air gun can be used but we really struggled. May have been an age issue