Matra Jet 6 restoration.

Holy shite...

I doubt if any of us would have expected anything less. Well done, that is one sexy car Frans. Really well done.

The wheels are a bit small, and that -ve camber on the rear will wear the tyres quickly. Apart from that, it looks perfect!

That looks wonderful Frans. I hope to come and see it in about November! I imagine it might have the correct wheels by then. :)

It was a good day today and we have achieved something big at last. All the prep work was done and I hope all the hard to get to jobs is done because the body is back where it belongs. On top of the chassis, not beside it!

I will start the wiring now and concentrate on the ignition first to get the car mobile at least. That will help a lot to move it or turn around etc. Then the rest will follow. It all looks like a bowl of spaghetti inside the engine bay and cab but it isn't that bad. I had a play the other night and got myself familiar with the wiring and the way they wired the car and pretty soon I had the park lights switched on via the light switch.

So here are a few photos of the doings and screwings this afternoon.

Regards
Frans.

Attachments

• IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    449.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0926.JPG
    IMG_0926.JPG
    537.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0935.JPG
    IMG_0935.JPG
    363.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    393.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
You must be delighted. I'm going to try very hard to stop in November!! Great photos. Clearly a good team. :)

The roof, where the sunroof hole was filled in, looks perfect in the photos too. Lovely.

Last edited:
Well done Fans, and the well co-ordinated team.

Car looks very nice indeed.

Ray

That looks very nice Frans.
Co-incidently, I have often thought that if I ever have enough money to respray my R10, I would do it in light metallic gold.

Henry

Looks brilliant Frans :approve:

I bet it's going to sound fantastic with the engine growling just behind you :headbang:

Hi,
Trial fitment coming along. This has to be completed before the wiring can start. By concentrating on the wiring all these little assembly jobs get done at the same time, I like it because the wiring causes the whole car to come together at the same time. So, by getting the headlights to work they will have to be installed, same with wipers, gauges etc.

Regards
Frans

Attachments

• LightFitted.JPG
    LightFitted.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Matra lights.jpg
    Matra lights.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
And so is the little console below the dash coming along as well.

Complete with retro radio donated by an AFer!

Frans.

Attachments

• IMG_0961.JPG
    IMG_0961.JPG
    445.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
And so is the little console below the dash coming along as well.

281ajhl.jpg

Complete with retro radio donated by an AFer!

Frans.

Good God! Why on earth would you want a radio in a car like a Djet?

Djets are for driving in an entertaining way, not for pootling along concentration focused on whatever is churned out by the radio.

cheers! Peter
Hopefully it doesn't work.

I believe that when you are in Auckland traffic, you have no option but to "pootle" along with everyone else, so you may as well listen to the news or music until you can get to the more entertaining roads.

Henry

I believe that when you are in Auckland traffic, you have no option but to "pootle" along with everyone else, so you may as well listen to the news or music until you can get to the more entertaining roads.

Henry

I'm not at all sure I'd drive the Matra in that sort of Auckland traffic at all. You could be run over by anything! Maybe with a safety wand and an orange flag?

Hi All,

Assembly is coming along and there are many things done so far that is not visible. Radiator is in, electric fan is in, tail lights are in, one head light, dash with gauges, pedals etc. We missed a few items and with some luck and the www. we came upon a stash of spares. Some of it was missing and some we took just because they are new and can be used. The biggest score was the foglamp holder that we needed for the original foglamps. They are weird in the sense that they have a double filament globe in them and the foglamp doubles up as the indicator as well. In pictures on the web I noticed that the guys have installed several types of indicators and I think it was forced by their authorities.
Next priority is fitting the fuel tank and then bleeding the brakes and clutch. That way it will be mobile and can be started every now and again.
IMG_1079.jpgIMG_1085.jpgIMG_1086.jpgIMG_1087.jpgIMG_1088.jpg

Thes pics are just some of the stuff we got, not in the pics is a side door window that is broken and needed a new one. That is what made our box so big.

Regards. Frans

Nice new parts stash Frans. Neat idea with the flashing indicators - will you be allowed to do it that way and avoid adding clutter to the car?

Looks like a Renault R8 steering column shroud front plate on the right - does the Matra have an R8/R10 steering column fitting? If so let me know if you need bits in case I have them.

Cheers

John