Matra Jet 6 restoration.

I'm definitely coming in November!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Frans. That is wonderful.

Hi All,

We had our Concourse show today and it was the worst day weather wise. It was raining all day from about 10:30. Nevertheless we did it and spent most of the time indoors at the big hall drinking coffee and eating meatpies to justify our seats:wink2:.

At the end of the day, cold and wet we returned and I got a text from my son, "We made it into the newspaper"

ju9s3l.jpg

snf8jt.jpg

That made the day a tiny bit more bearable.

Regards, Frans.

Nice to hear.

I reckon 165/65 is a good choice for the 4.5" wheels. What tyre type did you choose? (Very limited choice in 0z - basically only the Kumho ES01.) Curiously for a mid-engined car, I ended up having 6 psi more pressure in the fronts; mind you, I like a mobile rear. As I've remarked before, Djets are almost ridiculously controllable at the limit.

With my Djet V (new synchro rings thoughout) I have found double de-clutching from 1st to 2nd (obviously without the rev in the middle) smooths things remarkably.

cheers! Peter

Last edited:
Those warning lights are really nice.
Its thrue that they are sold for silly prices but can be found a lot cheaper if you know where to look.Voyant rouge tableau de bord
Don't know what they charge for the postage though.

Besides that I love your work and the (D)Jet is one of my favourites. I remember when the A110 prices started to go through the roof I thought of the Matra as a good alternative. To late again..

Last edited:
A somewhat extended hiatus in reports.

How have you (&/or your son) liked playing on windy roads (preferably wet)?

For me, this is the Djet's total raison d'être.

Hi Peter,

The answer is no, the car has only seen motorways so far. Rego is ongoing and the side window ally extrusions remains a problem at this stage.

It will be a while before we will take it out for long runs into the country side's winding roads but rest assure, I'm looking forward to it!

Regards, Frans

Thanks Frans. I doubt that you'll be disappointed!

Have you contacted Club Djet re bits? I have found them to be extremely co-operative & supportive.

cheers! Peter

That's looking lovely. Have you done the video yet? I'd love to see it in motion, and hear it!

Hi exocet,

Did I do the video yet? No not yet but just wondering, did I say I would?

I was hoping you'd offer, to show all the admiring fans out there what a wonderful job you've done. :tongue:

Enjoy!

so . . . . , a report on driving it on a twisty road would be nice.

Hi,

The Caffeine and Classics get together here in Auckland has grown so much that they started to limit the cars to 30 years and older. That didn't help because the count on a good sunshine day rose to over 800 cars. They decided to split the venue and last Sunday was the first outing at the Hampton Downs race track. That is halfway between Hamilton and Auckland so I decided to go and have a look at possibly some cars I haven't seen.

My son couldn't go so I fetched the Matra and undertook its longest journey up to now all alone. In this 180 km trip I could get accustomed to him.

I had plenty time to check the temperatures, water steady on 80 degrees and oil varying between 90 and 100 degrees depending on the load. Oil pressure was steady at a fraction over 4 bar. The pulling power was impressive for me, it will outperform my G by far. The stability is excellent and there isn't the slightest direction change due to wind. The top speed given to the Jet 6 varies from test to test but all of them is around 210 km/h. When you are at or in the car I often said that I wouldn't like to be in this car at that speed because it is such a small car. Well, I had it up to 150 for a while and there were no difference in the road feel or stability. The 210 can't be out of reach anymore in my point of view.

Peter, I have had the opportunity now to do a bit more of a spirited drive as I turned off the motorway and drove the back way for about 30 km before I got back on the highway. I didn't push it to limits and it was weird sitting on the left hand side but I'll have to get used to the narrower wheels before going all out. I am impressed because a few bends I was thinking that this is about the limit and then after realising that it was far from its limits. The suspension absorbs the 'ditches' in the road extremely well.

I'm really falling for this car!

dlgldz.jpg

jzv9k4.jpg

bf3q0m.jpg

A little Mazda!! Never seen before.

ngt3e8.jpg

Regards, Frans

Thanks for that. What tyres do you have on it at the moment & what pressures are you running?

cheers! Peter

(as a post scriptum: I love having an oil temperature gauge)

Hi All,

There is a fair amount of things going on behind my curtains, or shall I say "never a dull moment". The rego of the Matra to follow.

Peter, the tyres on the car at the moment is, don't shoot me, some made in China ones. I don't even know the brand. They are temporary until my son can source the alloys of his choice.

So, the good news is that the Matra is now warranted and road worthy. It passed the warrant with no issues reported. I would've been pissed-off if it did fail because the car is virtually brand new.

It is now at a stage where it can go to the upholsterer and soundproofed, carpeted and roof lining installed. The window alloy trimmings are still a slight issue at the moment, however the windows can be wound up and down at the moment.

The permanent rego number.

2wbrw4m.jpg

scgknn.jpg

11rgdv9.jpg

Regards, Frans.

Nice to see it registered. I think that my Djet V is registered as an "other"; so, when asked what it is, I sometimes say it's an Other.

(The rego people did offer to add 'Matra' to their data base but I said that it was a waste of time.)

Why would you want soundproofing in it?

cheers! Peter

Why would you want soundproofing in it?

cheers! Peter

Peter,

The soundproofing will be part of the upholstery work. ATM there are only loose carpets on the floor (the stuff you buy from Bunnings on a roll) The hoodlining is non-existing because of the sunroof that we had closed in and the door panels look bad because they were made using a thick MDF type of wood. That causes the door handles to cut into the vinyl etc. etc.

I think it is just a step closer to a fully original restoration, a cherry on the cake.

The rego people had to introduce that name into their system and for us it is again just a bit more originality. For you that will never be selling your car, as you've mentioned before, it won't matter and can add to the mystery for others as well :confused:.

Frans.

Brilliant Frans. So good it's nearly done and very legally driveable.

Best wishes