Tyres

Tubes in tubeless tyres are problematic. Long story, available on request but I'm not interested in playing rhetorical games.
I don't play games.
I stick with what I know from experience, and take everything I read with a grain of salt.
If I was to need a brain surgeon I would want the one that's done the most operations, not the one that's read the most books.
But hey that's just me.🤷‍♂️

Some mob called Pirelli say it's OK to put tubes in tubeless tyres that meet a certain criteria.
Mmmm, all my tubeless tyres with tubes in them meet that criteria.
I wonder if that's a reliable source?🤔

Resized_20231110_212756.jpeg

As Pirelli say: the key is what's inside a tubeless tyre. One thing that's inside a tubeless tyre but not a tube-type one is ribbing. That feature chafes & heats a tube & inclines it to premature failure. One might have a slow-leak warning of the former or not.
Say that one distrusts anything I say & doesn't agree with this.
That still leaves the question: is a tubeless tyre better fitted with a tube or not (even if fitting one won't lead to chafing or whatnot)? Except in some rare cases (wire wheels for example) the answer is 'not'. Tubeless tyres have merits over tube-type fitments.Again, if anyone is interested, details on request.

As Pirelli say: the key is what's inside a tubeless tyre. One thing that's inside a tubeless tyre but not a tube-type one is ribbing. That feature chafes & heats a tube & inclines it to premature failure. One might have a slow-leak warning of the former or not.
Say that one distrusts anything I say & doesn't agree with this.
That still leaves the question: is a tubeless tyre better fitted with a tube or not (even if fitting one won't lead to chafing or whatnot)? Except in some rare cases (wire wheels for example) the answer is 'not'. Tubeless tyres have merits over tube-type fitments.Again, if anyone is interested, details on request.
My Mustang has had tubes in its tubeless 195/75R14 tyres on its wire wheels for the past 15 years without a problem, yes the tyres are 15 years old as well, just shoot me.🤷‍♂️

My Studebaker only has 10 years on its tubes in its 215/75R15 tyres on its rivetted rims without a problem either, and yes those tyres are now 10 years old, oh dear.🙉

So getting back to the tyre choice for my 308. The wheels are being delivered this week so time to order tyres. Going with 245/40 R18. They'll be mounted to an 8" rim and apparently the new Michelin ps5 have quite a taper to the sidewall. Given the previous rims were 19x8 with a 235 mounted this should be a nice fit.

Going with the ps5 because cost, availability and the reality that while I may do a track day or two within their life this is 99% a daily road car for me so these should work well.

Can't wait, the current pirelli p-zeros are so worn out... The fronts are on the minimum wear markers across the tyre and I have a slow leak on the left rear.

I can't imagine you being disappointed with the PS5 but do please report back later when you've had a chance to play with them in various conditions. Tyres vary enough that you might find a different front/rear pressure differential (to that used with the old PZs) works better for the handling balance you seek.

I can't imagine you being disappointed with the PS5 but do please report back later when you've had a chance to play with them in various conditions. Tyres vary enough that you might find a different front/rear pressure differential (to that used with the old PZs) works better for the handling balance you seek.
Whats wrong with a nice set of Nangkangs..? 🤓

If you value wet handling and resistance to aquaplaning.........nothing.
It was also the quietest of this bunch.

View attachment 230674
Wonder how they perform over their life? One of the things that jumped out at me when trawling through tyre tests was the fall off in performance after minimal miles yet some tyres remain consistent.

Wonder how they perform over their life? One of the things that jumped out at me when trawling through tyre tests was the fall off in performance after minimal miles yet some tyres remain consistent.
That's a hard one really, tyre tests are just a snapshot of when they are new.
All those tyres 1/2 worn may occupy different positions on the list/s.
I've had a number of brands that get quite noisy as the tread diminishes.
I can't say I've seen tests on 75% worn tyres, the cynic in me would say that's because there isn't much of a market for those?
I don't fuss much over brands, most of my vehicles had crossplies when they were new, so in most aspects any radial tyre is going to be better than the original fitment.

Of some interest perhaps:

In the test charts (post #169) can someone enlighten me on what is meant by Float Speed in Straight Aqua tests?

In the test charts (post #169) can someone enlighten me on what is meant by Float Speed in Straight Aqua tests?
They list the speed at which the car begins to float on top of the watered down test track (aquaplane). The sipes on the tyres get overwhelmed with water, so the car begins to lift off the surface of the road.The higher the speed the greater the perceived resistance to aquaplanning.
The straiģht reference is to straiģht line testing.

Of some interest perhaps:

yes, that's the test that I recently read/watched. I like the in depth testing but I find the temperature ranges are probably quite different to our local conditions.

A common test method is to run one side through the water (usually deeper than would be experienced on normal oz roads except in puddles) & the other on a dry surface & record the speed at which the wheels rotate at (15%?) different speeds. That is deemed to be the aquaplaning speed.

Ok, I thought it must be similar to aquaplaning, but the speeds seem to low. I guess under test conditions, the depth of water is higher than one would normally experience. Interesting.

To lowpugV2:

Shaving a tyre tells one something about the comparative water clearance capabilities of the reduced tread depth tyres but its not a perfect methodology to simulate road wear.

Other variables in regular road wear are the wear patterns on the tread elements (for instance, the rounded front edges & "feathered" rear edges of road-worn blocks) & compound change over time. Each of these affects wet grip & each varies across tyre types. These variables won't manifest in a shaved unworn tyre. I can't find the test but someone did simply run the test tyres on roads until the desired depth occurred. Hugely expensive compared to shaving &, as the wear is accelerated by intense use, still imperfect in modelling the compound change over years of regular road use.

As you note, temperature also affects compound performance differently across tyre types & one thing that Jonathan Benson is doing well is noting that. (He also notes performance drop-off variations with tyre heat in some of his dry lap work with performance tyres.) My own view is that compound variation plays more of a performance differentiation role across tyre types than is generally appreciated.

Must be a few useable tyres among this lot - perhaps any of you living near by could help the unfortunate owner out?

Meanwhile in Kuwait, "hold my Chai Laheeb".
This is what 50 million look like.

images (13).jpeg
images (11).jpeg