Tyres

Really?!

If you must store tyres (briefly, hopefully), then my advice would be to choose whichever option is coolest & darkest.

On tyre specials: a tyre I like as a "wet" tyre, the Dunlop FM800 is currently on a 4 for the price of 3 deal.

Hankook RS4s are selling at Bob Jane for $155, so I thought that was good. 2023 date as well. They will be used for the odd competition purpose, may be better to just put them on the car, although this car usually has gravel tyres and can only be used for events and testing (Rally Permit).

Nothing wrong with storing them so long as it's not in the heat or sun
It's not like they are going to go off anytime soon and fall apart
Check out most club permit cars and see on average the age of tyres they are running and then see how many ever fail and these cars are kept mainly out of the weather so the tyres must be happy

How long are tyres meant to last, timewise? I ask because my car's current (Goodyear) tyres haven't done many kms in 6 years but I spotted a nail in the tread of one of them today. I don't know how long it's been there and haven't noticed it going flat yet but of course will keep and eye on it. I've phoned the place where I purchased them and they said if they are too old they may not consider them repairable and new tyres will be required. Pics of offending nail and tyre attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 4.36.30 pm.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 4.36.30 pm.png
    305.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 4.36.49 pm.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 4.36.49 pm.png
    214.8 KB · Views: 53
There's a story like that they are not allowed to repair worn tyres.
Worn means to the legal limit, and not to the tyre kicker’s liking.
That’s for that tyre only and not all four of them.

I found this about how long car tyres last, so it depends on various factors.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-ad...DkElSUegsFi0cM-bDdC3OqH6ke_vH9MY6qEvdZcUUjfYo

As mentioned in that article, general acceptance of 6-7 years is getting there, with 10 years being a limit, due to ageing of the rubber, etc.

In my opinion, with that nail head in the tyre, you can only take it to your tyre dealer and get them to look at it. If that nail was just a "tack" about 10mm long, it may not have penetrated to the air chamber, and if you KNEW that, you could just pull it out. However, chances are that it is longer and if you pull it out it will then leak badly, enough said.
There appears to be reasonable tread on the tyre, but I can't see the wear limit markers in the photo. So the dealer shouldn't tell you it needs replacing due to wear.
The nail is quite close to the edge of the tyre and the repairers are more wary of that location, so that may be mentioned. You probably have to trust the tyre dealer to only suggest you need new tyre, only if it is a repair outside the safe limits.
Unless the tyres have cracks in the sidewalls, or other signs of damage, they should have a few years of use remaining.
Cheers.

Duplicated from another thread (R8G wider wheels & tyres wanted) as it might be of more general interest.

Attachments

• rer wheels & tyres 2.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 58
Getting some Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 6 in 255/35 R19 fitted to the Audi wagon tomorrow. The Michelin PS 4 S finally hit the minimum markers at 63,000 kays. Pretty good run for a performance tyre.

I'm very curious to see how the Goodyears compare. I'm hoping for a slight increase in comfort and maybe (based on rolling resistance) maybe a touch better fuel economy. I expect overall handling and grip levels to be similar. Although new boots always feel great.

Here are Bridgestone rules for tyre repairs

Nothing wrong with storing them so long as it's not in the heat or sun
It's not like they are going to go off anytime soon and fall apart
Check out most club permit cars and see on average the age of tyres they are running and then see how many ever fail and these cars are kept mainly out of the weather so the tyres must be happy
I'm in the process of getting the Dyane back on the road, and have six tyres (nankangs) that are all about 7 years old and have done around 20k. Other than the last raid, most of their life has been in a cool, dark and dry shed. The side walls soft and show no sign of cracking. Interestingly, the ones with around 70% wear are substantially harder on the tread area. The two spares with minimal wear are still like new - no sign of hardening of the rubber at all. So I am guessing that heat from use / sunlight is a huge factor in deterioration.