Tyres

Interresting.
A bit off topic but it seems like rubber products do not have the same quality as it used to. I though tyres were an exception but this is the 1,5year old nankangs on our Peugeot(Mitsubishi)EW. I know its not a premium tyre but still..
FF260CC5-B964-4331-9416-C5B90A024B79.jpeg
85A479F1-A8C5-4C8D-87AA-DA30787EE638.jpeg

2.5 maybe? Still, the AS-1s should not be so degraded at that age.

Sometimes there are bad batches… These Michelins were less than a year old…
IMG_2563.jpeg

Interesting topic.in it is coming when I was thinking of writing about tyres and how the new thread is going down.and I would like opinions from people who bought tyres recently.
I had to buy new tyres for my Peugeot 2008 SUV and for my daughter Peugeot 4007.i got Michelin 195x60 16 for the my Peugeot 2008 and fallen 215x70 16 for the Peugeot 4007.the new tyres have much lower thread than it was to be5 years a go when I bought tyres.for some reason they look like 70 present of what they used to be few years ago.
It remind me of the Cadbury chocolate who did years ago ,changing the chocolate block from 200g to 180g without changing the price.
I did mention it to my friend who recently got some new tyres for his wife Toyota rav4,and he agrees with me.
Are there any regulations?
Or is it free wild market?

Or it is w8ild market.

Pic 1. Austone Athena SP-801. Full set on my daily drive Berlingo 18 months and 17,000 kms ago. Quiet, smooth, good grip wet or dry and still have 8mm tread depth.
Pic 2. Vitour Galaxy, full set on my DS 2.5 years ago. Only done a few thousand kays. These were one of those tyres that didn't look to have a lot of tread to begin with, but they weren't expensive and I wanted whitewall tyres. Only driven it in the dry, but quiet, smooth, handles well, 6mm tread remaining.
Pic 3. Bridgestone Ecopia EP150, these were on my Austin when I bought it, advertised as "new tyres" when I bought the car but the tits on the tread were long gone, I've done a couple of thousand kms since I bought it, 8mm tread depth remaining.
Pic 4. Evergreen ES82, these have been on my Studebaker for 5 years and have only done 10 thousand kms. Again only dry weather driving, but more than capable for the handling needs of a 66 year old Yank tank. These still have 9mm of tread remaining.

As you've noted a lot of new tyres look like they only have 75% tread left when they are brand new, this characteristic can be found regardless of the make and/or purchase price.

I have no brand loyalty, when I'm shopping I look at tread depth, tread style, the appearance of the rubber (some tyres look a bit "plasticky") and value for money. I couldn't give a rats ar#e whose name is on the sidewall. At the end of the day I've purchased four disappointing sets of tyres in my life. Two premium brands that suffered complete failure, one premium brand that wore out very prematurely and one budget brand that also wore out quite quickly (although this set were promoted as a "performance tyre").

Resized_20230627_125101.jpeg
Resized_20230627_125031.jpeg
Resized_20230627_125009.jpeg
Resized_20230627_131436.jpeg

I wonder if the compound is less stable in the cold (even if not used, compounds change with time).
Out of curiosity, what winter tyres do you use?

I wonder if the compound is less stable in the cold (even if not used, compounds change with time).
Out of curiosity, what winter tyres do you use?
You might be right but to me this is a new problem.

I use studless winter tyres on the EV as studs hurts the allready short range to mutch. I do not remember the exact names but the rears is Viking/Continental and the fronts are actually Nankangs that were surprisingly good on both snow and ice. Neither is cracking like the summer tyres.

Winter tyres have a compound temperature operating range lower than summer tyres.

No idea really, but I would guess tread depths are reducing for a number of reasons. Yes, cheaping out on material costs but also newer compounds can wear less so don't need the depth for acceptable lifespan. And very possibly the push to make everything needlessly sporty you get better response from a shallower tread depth as that impacts how the tread blocks move around under load.

Regardless of branding or whatever I'm still super impressed my set of 265/35/19 Michelin PS4 S on my family barge. 3 years and 45,000 kays and still no signs of undue wear, feathering or any cracking. Still has about 3mm above the wear indicators. And that's on a nose heavy Audi.

I believe the major motivation for reduced tread depth is increased fuel economy or range.

I believe the major motivation for reduced tread depth is increased fuel economy or range.
My wife had a 2011 J3 Chery that we bought brand new. The original fitment Maxxis tyres racked up 75,000 kms before we replaced the 16" wheels and tyres with a 19" set.
Eventually we decided to give the car to the youngest daughter. I elected to remove the 19"s (technically they were illegal) and although the original Maxxis tyres still had a little life left in them I replaced them with a set of the newly released Yokohama Bluearth tyres.
The blurb was as you described, smooth quiet ride and significantly better fuel economy. These tyres start off with 7.9mm of tread.
Anyhoo we gave the car to my daughter (who is a very sedate driver) just before she moved to Townsville. Imagine my surprise 18 months later when she rang asking for new tyre advice? I said "it had new ones on it when we gave it to you"?
Turns out she had taken it in for a service and they pointed out that two tyres were on the wear indicators and that the other two were getting close.
35,000 kms and they were worn out?😳
Oh and the fuel consumption didn't improve one iota over the Maxxis tyres.
I'm leaning towards the OP's Cadbury chocolate theory myself.🤷‍♂️

Hi.

I recall attending a Dunlop lecture night many years ago. There was a statistic that I don't accurately recall, but along the lines that 80% of tyres on passenger cars are underinflated.

One would likely achieve better fuel economy by simply inflating the tyres to say 10% higher pressure than the door sticker says, even without energy reducing tyre designs.

Cheers.

Hi.

I recall attending a Dunlop lecture night many years ago. There was a statistic that I don't accurately recall, but along the lines that 80% of tyres on passenger cars are underinflated.

One would likely achieve better fuel economy by simply inflating the tyres to say 10% higher pressure than the door sticker says, even without energy reducing tyre designs.

Cheers.
I think the "fuel saving" is just marketing BS.
If you're buying a new tyre with what amounts to nearly 20% less USABLE tread than a "regular" tyre how is it saving you money?
If they say "it's in the compound and tread design" wouldn't you be happy to get 9mm of tread for your $, have the same fuel economy for the first 10 or 15 thousand kms, then "reap the fuel saving benefits" once the tyre has worn down to the tread depth they currently provide on their new "fuel saving" tyres?
I could be wrong, but I think I smell bull 💩.😉

Went to take my old TA250 Colleda for a ride, flat front tyre mmm? Tried to blow it up, wouldn't hold air at all, mmmm?.Popped the bead and found this? Tyre hadn't crept on the rim, 12 month old tube still soft and supple. Nearly 50 years of playing with motorcycles and never had this happen before.
The valve stem decided to part ways with the tube just sitting in the shed.🤷‍♂️

20230712_203153.jpg

Went to take my old TA250 Colleda for a ride, flat front tyre mmm? Tried to blow it up, wouldn't hold air at all, mmmm?.Popped the bead and found this? Tyre hadn't crept on the rim, 12 month old tube still soft and supple. Nearly 50 years of playing with motorcycles and never had this happen before.

View attachment 224375
Sort of thing you might expect from a Chinese wheelbarrow :mad:.

Sort of thing you might expect from a Chinese wheelbarrow :mad:.
Mmm, it was a Vee Rubber tube too. Vee Rubber is a well regarded (Thailand) tyre and tube manufacturer.🤷‍♂️

View attachment 224375
Better happening in the shed than 15 minutes later on the road.