Tyres

Just a follow up on the tyre "expiry" date.
There is no legal maximum for a tyre's age on a road driven vehicle in any Australian state.
RW/Safety Certificate guidelines in each state only require the inspector to look for obvious flaws in the tyres.
The much bandied "5 years old, not legal" which you often hear, particularly out of NSW, I guess due to the sheer numbers of inspections with their large fleet and annual requirements, is a misinterpretation of the consumer goods law.
A tyre seller can sell a tyre right up until it is 5 years of age. The 5 year number is the expiry date for sale of said tyre as a "BRAND NEW tyre", a tyre is still considered a brand new item, and fit for sale as such, until it is 5 years old, the 5 years figure is not for end of life.
I've no doubt RW inspectors are telling clients that their tyres need replacing because they are too old, particularly ones that provide a pink slip service out of a tyre retailers.🤔
Tyrep*wer's pink slip page even states, "the risk of aquaplaning is increased once there is only 4mm of tread left, we can help you choose some new high quality tyres".
I bet they can.🤦‍♂️ Then what, throw those new "high quality" replacements away when they are down to 4mm as well?
But this 5 years of age, chuck it away "rule" is not in the RWC requirements, it is not in the ADRs, it is not in the Tyre and Rim Association guidelines, it is an urban myth.
You wouldn't believe what RWC inspectors have tried to fail my classic cars/bikes on, simply because they have a ingrained belief, or simply because they just don't know.
I downloaded the 60 page QLD Safety Certificate Guidelines Handbook to keep handy for that very reason. At times I've had to engage a different inspector, because some are so enshrined in their beliefs, that they can't accept the evidence, even when it is placed in front of them.🤷‍♂️

Given there are piles of dumped used tyres like the attached image in the world, is the environmentally responsible thing to do; to add perfectly good 5 year and 1 month old tyres to it, (or newer ones with "only" 4mm of tread left), even though you don't have to?

PS. Happy to take on board any information stating "5 years, throw it away" is a LEGAL requirement in Aus; if said information is gleaned from a reputable source.

images (13).jpeg

Court case in Melbourne this week, driver of a Ferrari? who caused a lot of damage blamed his tyres because they were 17 years old.
When I put the 203 back on the road I pumped up the old crossplies that sat flat for 25 years and ran it a few months on them. I've seen other 203's run for long times on ancient crossplies. My tyre man was interested and had a good look at the old tyres that came off. Pronounced them in perfect condition. Preferred them to the Indian Excelsiors that went on.
These massive tyre dumps people put in the country (like Stawell) work on the principle that one good lightning strike or bushfire and you're on a winner.

Yes, pile 'em up and wait for the 'natural' fire to allow the environment to take care of the problem. Spread the material around because it is well known that 'The solution to pollution is dilution!'.
The claimed root problem with old radials is the steel belting and rubber delamination. Not such an issue with the textiles used in crossplies. Old tyres become hard and unyielding in any event. Since that's gradual, you'll only really notice how bad they are when you compare them to new rubber and feel the soft ride.

I don't play games.
I stick with what I know from experience, and take everything I read with a grain of salt.
If I was to need a brain surgeon I would want the one that's done the most operations, not the one that's read the most books.
But hey that's just me.🤷‍♂️

It may not be immediately obvious, but brain surgeons don't get to do any operations before they read a lot of books.

It may not be immediately obvious, but brain surgeons don't get to do any operations before they read a lot of books.
I would have thought that reading books to get a degree of any description would have gone without saying, I must make a note to be more descriptive in my future posts, I'm here to help.
In fact now I think about, it I even caught my youngest daughter (who's a lowly ER registrar) reading a book every now and then.🤔

However there's no sub substitute for experience, which probably explains why any potential surgeon has to have extensive supervision in his chosen field straiģht out of medical school (another 6 years normally).

Of course they could try the line of "I've read lots of extra books since I graduated, so I'm ready to fly solo", but I don't like those odds.

Last edited:
I would have thought that reading books to get a degree of any description would have gone without saying, I must make a note to be more descriptive in my future posts, I'm here to help.

However there's no sub substitute for experience, which probably explains why any potential surgeon has to have extensive supervision in his chosen field straiģht out of medical school (another 6 years normally).

Of course they could try the line of "I've read lots of extra books since I graduated, so I'm ready to fly solo", but I don't like those odds.
I thought it was "I've played the VR simulation" these days 🤔

I thought it was "I've played the VR simulation" these days 🤔
No, they actually have to do the "real thing".
Of course they are slowly bringing robots in to "help out".
My hospital offers robotic hip and knee replacements now.

Court case in Melbourne this week, driver of a Ferrari? who caused a lot of damage blamed his tyres because they were 17 years old.
When I put the 203 back on the road I pumped up the old crossplies that sat flat for 25 years and ran it a few months on them. I've seen other 203's run for long times on ancient crossplies. My tyre man was interested and had a good look at the old tyres that came off. Pronounced them in perfect condition. Preferred them to the Indian Excelsiors that went on.
These massive tyre dumps people put in the country (like Stawell) work on the principle that one good lightning strike or bushfire and you're on a winner.
Yes, you'd have to wonder about that. There are multiple camera angles of that crash online, and in all of them the tyres appear to be inflated at time of impact.
So what went wrong if it wasn't rapid deflation?
That guy's got a large collection of cars and bikes, so one would assume in good conscience that he replaced the tyres on all of them immediately after the accident?🤔

Yes, the EPA got on to it. Don't know where the tyres went. There was one over the border there was trouble over too.

Years ago a business in Sydney used a large microwave to break down tyres for the oil and metal .
The business supposedly broke even ? I wonder if he is still around ?

Years ago a business in Sydney used a large microwave to break down tyres for the oil and metal .
The business supposedly broke even ? I wonder if he is still around ?
I reckon the EPA would have put an end to it if any residential areas were close (or subsequently built close)?
He'd have had to have moved a bit more "remote".

The site was gifted to a Panamanian company to avoid paying fines and for the nearly $5m cleanup. Approx 1/3rd of the tyres ended up in landfill in the end! If they were just going to bury them anyway, it seems like the Vic EPA wasted millions (it's only taxpayer money!) moving them elsewhere and putting them in a big hole, when they could probably have just buried them onsite quite safely. Given that the other 2/3rds were shredded to be used for fuel, rubber surfaces and so on, it seems like the pollution problem has indeed been diluted to a point where all the little bits are not complained about, whereas all the bits in location is a problem. Up to 9 million tyres in that heap apparently. At least 5 million new tyres are supplied with new vehicles every year, before you even think about used tyres on all the existing vehicles ...

Update on the Michelin PS5 in 245/40 R18 that I had installed with new wheels on the 308 GTi.

Definitely will go back to a 235 width next time. There's no real issue but there is a little vagueness and slight squirm when turning in. I believe this is because the sidewall is not pre tensioned enough.

Otherwise grip is vastly better than the old pirellis. Even in the wet I have much less issues with wheelspin when trying to put power down.

Noise has reduced at freeway speeds. I don't have any numbers but subjectively it's gone from volume 17 on the stereo to a 15.

Ride quality, still a firmly sprung car and sharp small frequency bumps upset the balance front to rear however the smaller sharper jiggles have been smoothed over making the car feel less fussy.

Overall, happy with the upgrade of tyres and wheels but I wouldn't say the cost and effort of the 18's is a mandatory at all. I think it's the design of the Michelin to the heavy lifting with improvement rather than the 1" drop in wheel size.

Another slight disappointment is that the total weight of the 18's Vs 19's isn't really different. Turns out the standard factory speedines are quite light for a 19" wheel.

Compress_20231123_133847_7504.jpg

I would say that wet traction would be a particularly notable area of improvement.

As for turn-in squirm, this will lessen with wear if it's tread instability but if it's sidewall slop, you might see if some improvement can be achieved with pressure increases &, perhaps, with relatively more at the front. Given your concern with ride, this will obviously be a trade-off story.

Of possible interest; one merit is that the tyres involved are "regional" tyres which do not tend to show up in European tests.

@4cvgordini given your interest in the subject of tyres, this is aimed at you... Or anyone else not bored with chatting tyres!

I'm not loving the Michelin PS5. Might be a combination of factors. Slightly oversized case for an 8" wheel. Optimal pressures not discovered yet etc. I've now done 2500 kilometers of mixed driving and they are just "ok" . Good grip, but seem to generate a bit of rumble and are squirmy. Initial turn in response is the big loss here meaning the steering is even less intuitive (the 308 GTI epas is a bit this way to start with)

So my experiment is proving to be costly and not successful!

I am planning on driving for a bit more on the Michelins, unless anyone wants a perfect set of 245/40 r18 for cheap and then I'll move to, most likely, the conti SportContact 7.

I love the conti tyres on my road bicycle so why not match huh?

Hopefully I can get a new contract in the New Year to pay for all this....

8" is indeed the minimum rim size for the tyre. Good for comfort, bad for turn-in (the sidewall has to distort a bit more before it transmits force). Also, the PS5 has, if I recall aright, Michelin's "grip better when worn" idea of having vertical walls on main channels. Compared with the usual practice having them sloped for a pyramid-style stabilities in a recipe for some tread squirm before it takes its -"set" & transmits force.

So, you have two causes of sloppy turn in: sidewall flex & tread instability. I wouldn't have predicted that either would be present at disturbing levels but you're disturbed. What can you do?

Not much you can do about tread instability except wait for the tyres to wear. You can, however, tauten sidewalls with increased pressure. If you increase the front pressures more than the rears, then this aids your cause. Why?

Such a relative pressure increase differential tautens the fronts more than the rears & thus they will take their "set" under cornering stress earlier than the rears. You will feel this as sharper turn-in (or, if you overdo it, as a "loose" tail - especially on lift-off).'

Most manufacturers recommend pressures aimed at comfort & an understeer balance in handling & changes can certainly improve handling. My warm Moke runs on 40 psi front & 20 psi rear pressures & my Djet (despite being mid-engined) runs on 32 psi front & 22 rear pressures.' I like a neutral to oversteer balance & each change is motivated by seeking instant turn-in & a readily adjustable tail.

Experiment; especially as you have comfort as a priority.

cheers! Peter

Being buying a few tyres at good prices lately. Should I store them under the house, or in the garage?