The 195/55R15 Tyre Thread

GTI124 said:
Interesting. Perhaps the Revspec has moved OS since the recent update. I figured the smaller sizes were made Thailand.

Jason, are you running GS-D3s now? Enjoying them?

Well, they're nicely scrubbed in after 10K which give more grip then new I have to say, it's predictable on the grip level and doesn't let go like Michelins, which is a big plus if you are getting a bit hairy around corners and know to back off. or you can choose to have minor 4 wheel drift. a ted noisy, but only around fast corners.

a nice package I say, prtty happy with it ! :)

I'm running 38psi which is a bit radical to some people but the lower it is the more skidding I have, once it was running 32psi and it was very unpredictable with the softer sidewalls comparing to the Direzza and Preceda.

Jason

Dunlop Direzza's gone after 13000 k's...

Just an update on direzzas...

Well, after 13000klms the fronts are just on the legal limit. The rears are halfway there. The tyres continued to feel good, even with less tread. They dont seem to harden drastically like some tyres (bridgestones) towards the end of their life.

I have rotated them now and that "new" feeling is back. I should be able to sneak in a few more thousand klicks before needing to buy any new rubber.

Hmm, what to try next....

mmm...CORNERS said:
Just an update on direzzas...

Well, after 13000klms the fronts are just on the legal limit. The rears are halfway there. The tyres continued to feel good, even with less tread. They dont seem to harden drastically like some tyres (bridgestones) towards the end of their life.

I have rotated them now and that "new" feeling is back. I should be able to sneak in a few more thousand klicks before needing to buy any new rubber.

Hmm, what to try next....

Am very surprised at your mileage there. This is your first set since you had the suspension fitted? Who did that work for you?

Yeah, I was expecting more mileage, considering they are not the softest tyres you can get, but I suspect my entusiasm for corners may have something to do with it......

Paul V fitted the konis, and re-adjusted the torsion bar plus all new bushings.
The alignment must be good as the wear is even all round, if a little more worn on the inside of the tyres.

i've got the dirrezza's also... i'm finding they want to understear more than the g3's... i've done a few thousand km's... will let you know more if you want

mmm...CORNERS said:
Yeah, I was expecting more mileage, considering they are not the softest tyres you can get, but I suspect my entusiasm for corners may have something to do with it......

Paul V fitted the konis, and re-adjusted the torsion bar plus all new bushings.
The alignment must be good as the wear is even all round, if a little more worn on the inside of the tyres.

Just reminds me of the 8000kms or something I got out of the P6000s when my suspension wasn't set up right. Paul V fixed it... so I assume he's done it properly on yours too... maybe get an alignment done again though, make sure your toe settings are correct.

I'd go the Goodyear Revspec RS-02s next on the 306...

GTI124 said:
I'd go the Goodyear Revspec RS-02s next on the 306...

I'll be up for tyres soon. Where do the RS-02's sit in comparison to the F1 GSD3's?

By the way, I'm over my fm901 fetish. They're a fantastic tyre for the first 5-10K kms, but after a few heat cycles in them, they start to seriously degrade. Though I'm still very impressed about the feedback they provide at all times even when sliding.

slick said:
To anyone with Dunlop Le Mans LM 702 (as discussed earlier)

I've never seen what the actual tyre pattern looks like until today when I walked past a Holden Astra SRi in the city (yes i know it's werid to be looking at tyre tread patters - my girlfriend always gives me a bad look when I do it). I did actually see it on the dunlop website but something caught my eye with this particular car today. It had about 100 different pebbles stuck inbetween the tyre blocs on the other part of the tread design... It looked ridiculous. On every tyre and since it was in the city it looked even more bizzare. Not much gravel/pebble areas around Wynyard. So are these tyres more prone to have this problem ? If so why? And why dont they all jump out at high speed when you drive ?

yeah, i have noticed this with my 702s - they certainly seem to pick up a lot of crap. havent noticed them all jumping out at speed..

my last set seems particularly prone to picking up nails and screws. That was a very annoying habbit. :mad: but i think has a lot to do with the service alley i park in while im at work..

G'day Guy's,

I'm after a recommendation on a tyre to fit a 14x5.5 inch rim on a FWD car.

The tyre size is a 195/60R14 and I want a reasonably grippy tyre - which is proving a bit difficult in that size.

The best compromise so far seems to be the Yoko C-Drives...

Does anyone have these, and what have their experiences been?

Price isn't a big concern and the other 'high performance' options seem to be limited to the Toyo Trampio GU:WN TPG or perhaps Yoko A539's (which are apparently still available in that size)

Does anyone else have any other suggestions before I commit to the C-Drives?

U Turn said:
I'll be up for tyres soon. Where do the RS-02's sit in comparison to the F1 GSD3's?

By the way, I'm over my fm901 fetish. They're a fantastic tyre for the first 5-10K kms, but after a few heat cycles in them, they start to seriously degrade. Though I'm still very impressed about the feedback they provide at all times even when sliding.

In this size, the GS-D3 is made in Thailand and are around $175 a tyre. The Revspecs are made in Japan and are $195 or so, so it certainly appears from a price perspective that the RS-02 is above the F1 and is listed as such on Goodyear's website.

Richard, would prefer this thread to stick to 195/55R15, but in your size, the Toyo or Yoko c.drive would both be good bets.

mistareno said:
G'day Guy's,

The tyre size is a 195/60R14 and I want a reasonably grippy tyre - which is proving a bit difficult in that size.

Price isn't a big concern and the other 'high performance' options seem to be limited to the Toyo Trampio GU:WN TPG or perhaps Yoko A539's (which are apparently still available in that size)

I encouraged a friend to put a set of C.drives onto his AE92 GTi-16 Corolla in 14" that he drives very very hard.

So far he has nothing but praise for them.

Overall, a good tyre, and surprisingly quiet.

mistareno said:
G'day Guy's,

I put a set of these on my girlfriends mirage in that size. Very impressed. They are quiet and comfortable, and they really grip more than you expect. I woudlnt rate them as a high performance tyre, but in that size I think they would be the best. Theyy certainly transformed the Mirages handling from sloppy/slippy slidey to good and even a bit fun....

I was in Bob Jane today to get a new tyre for my mum's car. I was unlucky enough to borrow her car and get a fat nail stuck in the sidewall... what are the chances??? It was only a standard 205/55R16 Dunlop SP 2050m (accord euro) but it was $215... DAMN And no one seemed to have them in stock either. Rang about 5 diff places.

I took this opportunity to get some prices for the S16. I'm planning to get 2 new tyres around Xmas. They kept commenting how the Fulda Attiro's they now sell are supposed to be awesome in that size. They're quiet and better in the wet compared to F1s GS-D3 etc etc. I wasnt going to buy based on this guy's opinion because I know they have exclusivity on this tyre at BobJane. It's hard not to talk up the ability of this tyre when you're the only one selling it :)

so I know Fulda's highly regarded in Europe but I've not heard much in Australia myself... does anyone know if these tyres are any good ? $170 is the approx price. Seems a bit expensive compared to other comeptitiors for the same sized tyre.

$170 isn't expensive, but it isn't cheap either! I haven't seen this tyre reviewed, so difficult to rate it. On what grounds does he think it's better than the GS-D3?! That's a pretty massive call considering it pretty much wins every review it's in.

My pick is the GS-D3 or Revspec in this size at the moment. Very difficult to justify any other tyre of these two... especially the GS-D3 which is exceptional value at around the same price as that Fulda.

Oh, and the Accord runs OEM Dunlops, hence the problem. Dunlop don't import that tyre as a seperate line... I'm surprised you can get it at all.

GTI124 said:
$170 isn't expensive, but it isn't cheap either! I haven't seen this tyre reviewed, so difficult to rate it. On what grounds does he think it's better than the GS-D3?! That's a pretty massive call considering it pretty much wins every review it's in.

My pick is the GS-D3 or Revspec in this size at the moment. Very difficult to justify any other tyre of these two... especially the GS-D3 which is exceptional value at around the same price as that Fulda.

Hi Lincoln
GS-D3 quote I got was for $195. The guy said the pattern of the GS-D3 makes it a particularly noisy tyre and he prosonally wont try it again because there's better value for money out there. I think maybe he didnt have any in stock and thought that I might buy some straight away... I've said "it's unsual to hear this considering everyone in any car mag talks them up". To be honest noise is so not a factor for me.

I didn get a quote but heard C-Drives should be $155. They're not really a high performance tyre, i understand that, but if the GS-D3s are $40 more then I dont think I'll get them. I've heard good things abou Revspecs too so that's another option.

Hopefully I'll see some Fulda reviews too because the tyres look quite tasty :) :D

slick said:
Hi Lincoln
GS-D3 quote I got was for $195. The guy said the pattern of the GS-D3 makes it a particularly noisy tyre and he prosonally wont try it again because there's better value for money out there. I think maybe he didnt have any in stock and thought that I might buy some straight away... I've said "it's unsual to hear this considering everyone in any car mag talks them up". To be honest noise is so not a factor for me.

I just had another set of GS-D3s fitted to my 307. I had my first set in 2003, the next year the GS-D3 had rave reviews from Wheels, etc. Have converted quite a few people on the 206 list to them.

Come time to change, to be honest, I was more than happy to go with them again - wasn't easy finding somewhere that had them in stock (a new shipment was due on Wednesday, but is somewhat delayed). My original GS-D3s were made in Germany, the current batch are made in Thailand and frankly there isn't any difference worth reporting.

Noise isn't really an issue - it's average in that department, not lousy like P6000s, but not as quiet as some touring tyres. Overall, it has excellent performance in the wet and the dry.