The 195/55R15 Tyre Thread

enthused! said:
hmmm. not too sure on this.
ring the guys up who gave you the quote and double check
enthused! said:
If thats the case, maybe im better off spending the little bit more on the F1s...
put it this way.

If the difference between the Goodyear F1s (GS-D3) and the Kumho Ecsta 711s is only $20 then the F1s are the way to go. Back when I was deciding between the FM901s and 711s there was a crazy difference in price (over $60 per tyre) but they're not really in the same class. 711s are great tyres for the money but they're not fantastic (at $110 i didnt expect them to be)

Get a quote on the Revspecs too. I'd be getting the F1s or Revspecs in that size .

GTI124 said:
Get a quote on the Revspecs too. I'd be getting the F1s or Revspecs in that size .
That's exactly what I was going to suggest... before aussiefrogs server decided to stuff up at 4pm. And there's some great prices on Toyo tyres too in that size. I forget the exact model number but there's plenty on in in this 400+ post thread :)

Where'd you get the wheel alignment done, enthused!? I need one too, and have had it done wrongly before too...

Poo-Go said:
Where'd you get the wheel alignment done, enthused!? I need one too, and have had it done wrongly before too...

If you have the factory spec, you should be fine going to Bob Jane, telling them you want the setup you give them and nothing else.

Unfortunately it doesn't list any data for the 405 that you have...
http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/base/workshop.htm

206, 306, 307 and 406 are listed under the 'mechanical' section

slick said:
That's exactly what I was going to suggest... before aussiefrogs server decided to stuff up at 4pm. And there's some great prices on Toyo tyres too in that size. I forget the exact model number but there's plenty on in in this 400+ post thread :)

T1-R and T1-S, as well as the Trampio Gu:wn.

I'd still get the Goodyears.

I put some toyos on my Mi16 a couple of months ago... They were an absolute bargain, and have performed very well so far.

Poo-Go said:

hehe..

I kinda cheated - i was sick of getting dodgy alignment done, so i asked paul v if he had an alignment guy. He does, and paul dropped it to him after servicing it on tuesday...

car feels better than ever now (even with bald tyres... although it is pretty dry at the moment.)

i grin everywhere i drive! :D

so id get onto paul and ask him who his guy is, im guessing its pretty close in gladesville somewhere.

enthused! said:
hehe..

I kinda cheated - i was sick of getting dodgy alignment done, so i asked paul v if he had an alignment guy. He does, and paul dropped it to him after servicing it on tuesday...

car feels better than ever now (even with bald tyres... although it is pretty dry at the moment.)

i grin everywhere i drive! :D

so id get onto paul and ask him who his guy is, im guessing its pretty close in gladesville somewhere.

He just uses Bob Jane at Drummoyne.

well... was all Geed up to get the f1s.. but the place that had quoted $150 now quoted $159 and couldn't get any till next week.

So i was driving by tempe tyres and thought "hell - why not"... the only thing they had on hand at 195/55/r15 was the lm702 dunlop - at $100 each.

so i got em. :D

these were my previous tyre anyway, so i knew they worked and i was quite happy with their level of grip. I wasnt happy with their initial turn-in, but i realise that was all due to really poor wheel alignment.

my mi feels better than ever now! with correct wheel alignment, new tyres, freshly tuned, fresh gear linkages and engine mounts it feels better than any other car ive ever driven - everything "works" for once..

...anybody feel another "i love my pug" thread coming??

At $100 each you did quite well. That's a 50% discount to what you were going to get and I dont think they're 50% worse. They're more of a touring tire but for day to day normal driving they'll definetly last longer...

To anyone with Dunlop Le Mans LM 702 (as discussed earlier)

I've never seen what the actual tyre pattern looks like until today when I walked past a Holden Astra SRi in the city (yes i know it's werid to be looking at tyre tread patters - my girlfriend always gives me a bad look when I do it). I did actually see it on the dunlop website but something caught my eye with this particular car today. It had about 100 different pebbles stuck inbetween the tyre blocs on the other part of the tread design... It looked ridiculous. On every tyre and since it was in the city it looked even more bizzare. Not much gravel/pebble areas around Wynyard. So are these tyres more prone to have this problem ? If so why? And why dont they all jump out at high speed when you drive ?

Just did some ringing around:

Kumho 711: $129
Direzza DZ101: $187 (what I have on the front currently)
LM702: $166 (what I had all round previously and still on the rear)
Eagle F1 GSD3: $173
Revspec: $199
Yoko C-drive: $185
Yoko ES100: $211
Toyo T1R: $145.

At those prices, I reckon it's hard to go past the GSD3 unless the Revspec has a significantly better treadwear.

(with the exception of the Kumhos (Quickfit) and Toyos (Tyrepower) prices are from Bob Jane Belconnen. Tyrepower wanted more than $200 for both Goodyears. Nuts to them.)

I find those prices on the Yokos to be a tad high.

Personally, I'd want all 4 tyres on my car to be the same. So I'd be getting the Dunlops.

I think those Toyos are darn good value at that price. I'm surprised the Revspecs are more expensive than the GS-D3. Think I might need to find out where the GS-D3s are made.

I thought the Revspec was the higher rated tyre than the GSD3?

I'm not fussed with having different tyres front to rear, particularly on a FWD.

Saru said:
I thought the Revspec was the higher rated tyre than the GSD3?

I'm not fussed with having different tyres front to rear, particularly on a FWD.

If not on a FWD then on what? Tyres are supposed to be working in unison with each other, IMO. You're not happy with the Direzzas?

The Revspec is locally produced and the GS-D3 appears to be the global flagship. I'm yet to see these tyres compared directly to each other, so it's very hard to say which one is better than the other.

GTI124 said:
If not on a FWD then on what? Tyres are supposed to be working in unison with each other, IMO. You're not happy with the Direzzas?

I have a feeling we have our wires crossed. I meant that I'd be less likely to put unmatched tyres front-rear on a RWD than on a FWD. It is less than ideal but only just. I'd never put unmatched tyres on the same axle. Why less likely RWD? Dunno, probably just a prejudice on my part.

The Direzzas are very good. I still might go with them. They aren't matched to the LM702s on the rear though ;)

The Revspec is locally produced and the GS-D3 appears to be the global flagship. I'm yet to see these tyres compared directly to each other, so it's very hard to say which one is better than the other.

Perhaps it's the "weird" sizing that stuffs the pricing GS-D3 vs Revspec? Do they make the Revspec in this size locally?

On this site the Revspec is more "premium" and more "sporty" than the GS-D3 which was the basis of my earlier comments. :) http://www.goodyear.com.au/car-tyre-guide.htm

for GS-D3, 17" and plus are made in germany, 16" and below are made from Thailand, for australasian region. in europe they're all from germany.

I thought REVSPEC is from Japan ??...mmm...

from my interpretation from goodyear's site the REVSPEC is a performance + comfort tyre, somehow like Michelin Pilot Preceda...I'm not sure, but GS-D3 is definitely perfomance.

Jason

Interesting. Perhaps the Revspec has moved OS since the recent update. I figured the smaller sizes were made Thailand.

Jason, are you running GS-D3s now? Enjoying them?