The 195/55R15 Tyre Thread

GTI124

who? when? huh?
1000+ Posts
OK, so I'm a bit of a freak with tyres, so here goes the definitive 195/55R15 thread.

Cars which run this tyre size:
Peugeot: 405 Mi16; 306 S16, XSi, GTi-6, Cabriolet
Citroen: Xsara Coupe VTS (not sure about VTR)
Perhaps PM me if I have missed a car, so we can keep the thread nice and clean :)

First things first, Peugeot chose this size as it obviously suits the car. Everyone that we know that has messed with this size, by using 205/50 or 195/50 have not been happy with the change in charactistics to the car. I've driven a GTi6 with 205/50R15s running Dunlop FM901s and it wasn't very nice. My personal opinion is it's just not worth it.

This list will morph with time as I scan in the various articles on these tyres, or as I (or you) find out more about these tyres.

There are two broad categories of tyres, and there really isn't one outright "best" tyre for everyone. Some people want comfort, some want grip and don't care about noise. Some want a compromise between the two. One things for sure, you can't have a tyre that is the best at everything. The two categories I'm using here are broadly "performance" and "touring". A performance tyre will tend to not last as long as provide more grip and better handling than a touring tyre, which will be quieter and tend to last a lot longer.

Here are the performance tyres available in this size:

BF Goodrich Profiler G - ultra high performance tyre - BF Good rich is owned by Michelin and this tyre is made in France, probably in the same factory as Michelin tyres. It's a bit long in the tooth now, though. Rek here is running them and is reasonably happy with them. Motor haven't tested this tyre for quite a few years, and when it was tested it ranked in the middle of the field.

BF Goodrich G Force sport - high performance tyre - Very new tyre, am yet to hear anything about this tyre. According to BF Goodrich it ranks below Profiler G, but being a newer tyre and they way tyre technology is progressing so fast, I'd say they'd be a better buy.

Bridgestone Potenza GIII - Ultra High performance tyre - Replacement for the Potenza RE711, which was highly regarded by members like macquered and my205. MY205 is now running them on his SP20 and says he's happy with them, but not nearly as grippy as the old RE711. The RE711 was line ball with the highly regarded Dunlop FM901.

Bridgestone Potenza RE010 - high performance tyre - strange one, Bridgestone locally call this a touring tyre, which I'd agree with. Yet, Tire Rack in the US rate it as an ultra-high performance tyre. I've driven these on a Subaru Liberty and was unimpressed, they wore out very quickly for an OEM tyre. I think they're overpriced as well.
Links: Tire Rack

Continental - where are they? They don't make any performance tyres in this size. Shame, as the SportContact and SportContactII are both very good tyres.

Dunlop FM901 - ultra high performance tyre - Won the 2002 Motor tyre test and is a highly regarded tyre in enthusiast circles. I'm running this on the GTi6 and love them. They have great feel and are very progressive when letting go on the track. They're quiet for a performance tyre and are wearing very well considering the occasional thrashing they get. It's due for replacement soon, although I'm not sure which model they're replacing it with. My Pick
Links: Tire Rack (note, comments are quite harsh in the US, I guess the roads are different, and I think some of the cars people are putting these tyres on are a bit silly. These tyres have been designed for FWD small cars, not 911s!) Now Replaced

Dunlop Direzza DZ101 - ultra high performance tyre - Replacement for well reknowned FM901. According to the Dunlop Hong Kong Site, it brakes better in the wet and dry and is quieter. All good things.

Falken Azenis RS - ultra high performance tyre - this is not the Azenis ST115 which is pretty much widely bagged and seen most after market rims. These are a semi-slick, but not an r-compound tyre. You'd be looking at around 20,000kms out of a set and will have a grin on your face the entire time. Tempe tyres is the place to go if you're after a set, even if you live in Perth!
News: Soon to be replaced by these, not sure when though.

Firestone SZ50 - performance tyre - was reviewed in the 2002 Motor tyre test where it performed in the middle of the field. It certainly has a unique tyre pattern! Better be careful if you commit a crime or you'll have the CSi lads chasing you! OK, so I don't have much to say about this tyre yet...
Links: Tire Rack Review/Test

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2 - performance tyre - is OEM on loads of cars, including Peugeot 206 GTI. Considering Peugeot are very good at speccing decent tyres on their cars, it's surprising that they picked this tyre. I guess it's Peugeot acknowledging that the 206 GTI really isn't a full blown Hot Hatch, hence the switch to Pirelli P7000s on the 206 GTI 180. Generally, this tyre is loud, ont very impressive in the dry, but work well in the wet. It's a cheap tyre and offers decent value for money. The well regarded GS-D3 hasn't been released in this size. The GS-D2 is getting quite old now, I wouldn't recommend them, but perhaps Parry would like to comment as he is running them on his Mi16.

Goodyear REVSPECS - performance tyre - I would tend to recommend these over the F1s. They're a locally made performance tyre and performed well in the last Motor test. They're good value at around $10 cheaper than the FM901s. They're the pick in the Goodyear range, for me.

Hankook Ventus K102 - sorry, don't know much about this tyre. Hankook as a brand tend to rate in the bottom half of tyre tests though. I'm not sure if they're good value for money, as I've never gotten a quote on them.

Kumho Ecsta 712s - ultra high performance tyre - Gets some great reviews in the US, but performed in the lower quarter of the field in the 2002 Motor Tyre Test. I think they're the best bang for your buck tyre though, available for around $120 a tyre. BFYB

Michelin Pilot Preceda - ultra high performance - was reviewed in the most recent Wheels test and performed well (did they win? gee, my memory is failing, I'll have to pull out the article and scan it up for y'all). It's a bit more expensive than FM901, but not overly so, like other Michelin tyres. Tyre tests found it to be the best in the dry, which compromises it's wet weather performance. Overall a very good tyre, and would be a tyre I'll be considering to next.

Michelin Pilot SX-GT - ultra high performance - this tyre is OEM on the Citroen Xsara VTS, but is not available from Michelin anymore. Some information on it is available at Tire Rack.

Pirelli P6000 - high performance - OEM on Peugeot GTi6. This really isn't a performance tyre. It works well, has decent feel and grip, but not enough in this company. It's really a comfort touring tyre, if you assess it as that, it's a decent tyre, but there are other tyres which offer more performance in that category.

Pirelli P7 - high performance tyre - Has performed remarkably well in tyre tests, but I still rate it as a performance touring tyre, similar to the H rated A539. OEM on Peugeot 307 XSE. I'd pick something like Dunlop's LM702 over it, but if you can get a good price on them, then go for it.

Sumitomo HTRZ II - ultra high performance - Sumi-who? I can you say. I keep seeing Dunlop associated with this company, so my conculsion is they are partners or the same company, not too sure. (edit: found out they're in parnternship with Goodyear...who own Dunlop). What I do know is this is a great value for money tyre. They have great feel, are quiet and wear well. They feel very similar to the FM901s, which for me, confirms the association with Dunlop. They're made in Japan, too, so apparently that accounts for something. Overall a good tyre, a highly recommended for those who running a bit low on funds, or even if you're not!
Links: Tire Rack Test/Review

Toyo Proxes T1-S - ultra high performance - Tend to rate in the middle of the field in tyre tests. Are OEM on TVRs, so that's a kudo, perhaps? It's getting a bit old now though.

Toyo Trampio TPG - ultra high performance - Rated middle of the field in the last Wheels tyre test. I'll have to scan that article for y'all.

Yokohama A539 - performance tyre - gets really mixed reviews. In this size, we're talking about the Z rated tyre, and not the H rated tyre which does very well against it's competition. In the Z rated tyre many enthusiasts are very unhappy with the tyre, with comments saying that they have a soft sidewall and are very vague around it's limits. My personal experience with them is that they are unbearably loud, and are vague, lacking feel. They certainly didn't inspire confidence, which was disappointing as the A509s and A510s were well regarded. I ran A520s on my last car and liked them too, so Yoko have a fan club, it's just they don't seem justified with the A539. However, users on 206.gti seem to like them.

Yokohama AVS ES100 - ultra high performance tyre - This appears to be a much better tyre from Yokohama. They're priced at the same level as FM091 and are getting better comments, although the soft sidewall comment is going around still. One of the NZ lads on here has an Mi16 with these and is happy with them, doing some hill climbs, as I recall. I think they're a viable alternative to FM901.
Links: Tire Rack Test/Review

I'll throw together a list of the touring tyres soon. I think that's it, but feel free to contribute and add to this thread. :)

Cheers, Lincoln

Last edited:
You are a freak lincoln!

I got 205''s falken azenis st115 on my 306. Personally im not a big fan and i use to have michelin certis's :disappr: .

What do you reccommend for my next try choice DR.Tyres?

i'm wanting to spend no more that $200 a tyre and something that will last me a while in the 195 range

Well Falken Azenis ST115s are considered one of the worst tyres on the market. Sorry, dude. But they basically give them away free with rice wheels. I have seen worse tyres though, but Azenis are probably the worst known brand "performance" tyre on the market. I say that as I don't think Nankang or Sava are that well known to non tyre freaks.

Shop around, and you should be able to get every tyre, except the Michelin Pilot Precedas at under $200 a tyre. If you were in Sydney I'd refer you to my tyre guy, but you're not, so sorry!

As for your requirement for a long lasting tyre, I would classify long lasting as 40,000 to 50,000kms. Performance tyres tend to last up to 40,000kms. If you don't want a tyre that last 50,000s (or longer) then I would point you towards preformance tyres. If you do, wait for the next part of this thread which details the touring tyres.

Just to clarify, the ST115s aren't the "worst", I got them mixed up with the with the ZE502. I still don't have a high opinion of Falken though, purely subjective comments though. I'll prove it with some articles soon.

Does the 205 do better in these with the 15" than with the 14s? 195/55R15 is the S3 tyre size right? I'm just wondering if the handling would be much better?

two-oh-philic said:
Does the 205 do better in these with the 15" than with the 14s? 195/55R15 is the S3 tyre size right? I'm just wondering if the handling would be much better?

Yes, I believe the S3 runs this size. I've edited the original post to include the cars I know of that run this size. However, I do not know if the 14s or 15s handle better on the 205. If the suspension hasn't changed between S2 and S3, I would think it was more of a cosmetic change, not unlike the 206 GTI going to 16s.

two-oh-philic said:

IMO they are pretty similar on equivelant quality tyres....

15" definately have more grip......but tend to be a little less forgiving on the limit ie snappy
14"s tend to be a lil more progressive and let go with more warning :D

I guess the 15"s would likely have a higher cornering speed.......but if so, it certainly didn't feel like too much to me.

GTI124,

Put me down as another re711 user.....an excellent tyre for the money, shame they replaced them.....

So seeing as i have a series 1 MI16 i got the 14's. i was thinking of going to a larger wheel size in the future..

Any ideas, was thinking of 16's or 17's. But i'll see what happens.. won't be for a while i guess, need to get the cash... if i don't i'll either stick with the 14's or get some 15's not sure.. I guess it will be the decision i make when i come to it..

But what tyres are good for the 14" wheels on the series 1, i know we were saying last night it's becoming hard to find V rated tyres in the tyre size..

I agree, 205/50/15 have too much side wall flex on a 6" rim. I ran Michelin MXV3A in that size on my last Mi16, but had 15 x 6.75 Peugeot Motorsport rims. They were absolutely fantastic. I'd stay with the 195/55/15 Michelins on a 6" rim. If the cost scares you, go out to Milperra Tyres and buy some with 80% tread for approx. $120 each.

pugrambo said:
sava
now i have heard of them
what can you tell us about them ?

AFAIK, they're rubbish :) I can look into it though. Nankang is at least owned by Yokohama.

GRAHAM WALLIS said:
The S3 205 GTI was fitted with 185 by 55 by 15.

OK, thanks Graham, I'll edit the original post. Thought I saw a S3 at Pauls garage with 195/55 Potenza GIIIs. :confused:

Mitch Mi16 said:
But what tyres are good for the 14" wheels on the series 1, i know we were saying last night it's becoming hard to find V rated tyres in the tyre size..

I'd like to keep this thread to this particular size, if we can. I would think that if the S2 ran 15s, that would be a good size to run. Not sure how the Mi16 would be on bigger rims, if you did go larger, I'd only go to 16. I'll have a look at 14s and post in a new thread.

Guys, I have been running SP115's (195) for 2 years now. Put it this way, I had no problem keeping up with an Mi16 with Azenis RS on some very twisty roads and on the track these were allowing me to clock times not too shy of JR's 205Mi.

They are 200% better than the Dunlop W10's I had on before. I admit these are not the most grippy tyre when cold, but heating they increase exponentially. My last set lasted 28,000kms with several full-on drive days, though the current set will be lucky to last 20,000 with the track days I am now doing.

I am going to try something different next, but IMHO the bad wrap thay have been given is not justified.

I've never experienced the Falkens, so just passing on what I've heard. The more comments we here from experience on French cars the better choice we have on future purchases. Are Falkens good value? How much are they per tyre?

Rapidex_R2_velika.gif

here is a sava tyre

sava tyres

Lincoln

bloody hell!!!

when i asked the original question of" what tyres should i get" i had no idea id get this much of a response!!!

thanks!

So who is your tyre guy??

or should i just go to tempe tyres and be done with it?

on your advice im looking at:

potenzas,

dunlop fm901

or maybe the budget option- kumho ecstas.

do you think thats reasonable (the final decision is gonna come down to the amount of funds i have available on the day) ??

I don't know if you can still buy the 185 by 55 but that's what was fitted originally, Michelin (MXV I think).

Graham Wallis

My tyre guy is Brendan at Don Cornell tyres in Bexley, on 9502 4666. He knows who I am if you want to mention me.

He doesn't stock Kumho, for those go to the Kumho website and call the nearest dealer or one with the *s next to them.