Xm - head gasket job

Well done. Possibly the ignition switch at fault if there as total power loss. An old gotya is having too much on the keyring and having it swing over a bump so it turns the car off.

Other than the Xantia, the XM is of course the final incarnation of a common pressure source for brakes, steering and suspension. C5/C6 use DOT4 brakes and although the LDS is shared by steering and suspension systems, they each have their own pump. It was a shame the Varipower rack was LHD only, as that would have made it a better car. It therefore represents a technical endpoint, but is certainly a better car to drive, particularly in 24 Valve form, than many of the earlier models.

Thank you so much for the photos...For some reason, I thought yours was a 24 valve version..It's the same as mine!

Gee, that blue one is a "cracker" I really like that..great colour, nice trim colour..just beautiful.

Feel free to post up any photos that you take..I never tire of looking at an XM!

yes motorgnome,
the blue one is a bit of a cracker - or more accurately with a little more tlc can be,
it needed some work.
we were looking for parts for the green car after head gasket diagnosis.
came across an ad. think it was in citroen car club of vic.
"xm for free to a good home, get it out of our hair etc and so forth."
we did.
passed it on to a mate who loves his citroens and had a hankering for an xm for a long time.
it had been neglected. and is a little scuffed.
but its on the road again.
the later models are very resolved.

it is definitely different to drive than the green one with its prv engine.
the steering is lighter and more effortless.
and the engine - whole other ball game.

xmasC.jpgxmasD.jpgxmasA.jpg

Wow.. That light coloured interior trim looks fantastic.. Much nicer than black.

The old PRV is a bit of a "nugget" really.. Just a plodder I reckon, though I have never driven any XM, including mine!

Mine is a September 90 model, that was last registered in 1998.. It only has 125k on it, but sitting around for 20 years has done it no favours. It is Gris Bassalt (grey mettalic) with black trim.
I've dragged it out of a fellow club members shed & set about getting it running & back on the road.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using aussiefrogs mobile app

^ i like that gunmetal colour motorgnome. really suits the xm. if its been in a shed since that late 90s i'm imagining the interior and dashboard is not in bad shape? i prefer the dark interiors that most cars seem to have, goes with the the black headliner. the other car in our trio is a 92 series 1, burgundy and by all accounts was a special order interior of connelly leather with a light rather than dark headliner. its the car that got us all into getting hold of one. after i drove it i caved into the idea of having a citroen after 30+ years of resisting them (too much of an architects cliche).

I'm fairly sure the grey car motorgnome acquired had been acquired by the clubmember several years ago from a longer-term owner in north west Sydney. I believe it had sat in that person's garage unregistered for some years and had been repainted.

The wheels are from a later model and they arrived in our market with the 1996 PRV XM and then the ES9 24 Valve cars. The first of the XM2s, which is what wonkipop's is, had the Speedline rims that I think were used on the early PRV/ZPJ4 24Valve. There must have been a batch of them for 1994/5 as there are several here with the cloth trim that must have been production buddies.

Ooohhhh!!!...David, you got that so right!.
That's all the information I have, that some guy in Pennant Hills owned it.

I thought it had been resprayed.. The paint is too good, though I'm yet to clean it properly.. The series 2 front end, new side mouldings, NOS wheels from the latter model etc.. Something wasn't right.. I have so many questions.

Do you know any more about it? Why was it laid up, when it was only 7 years on the road?? When I went to start it, it had a bent inlet valve (4 actually).. Was this the reason it was laid up? Why was it painted? Written off & repaired?
The service book is another mystery.. In 1998 it had 91k on it.. The registration expired in December 1998...but it had a service in 2003 at Continental motors & it had 125k on it.. Did the previous owner drive it unregistered for that period of time, clocking up 34k?..

If anyone knows anything about it, I'm keen to know.

You probably know this car too David... I bought this from the club member as well, to use for parts.. It's a UK import with cloth interior. Rusty sills & "A" pillar + very tired mechanically.

The rear wheels are off the "good car", as the ones on the parts car wouldn't hold air.

1536239906290.jpg

I've seen a few of them over the years, but, I don't know that import. UK market cars were specified differently to ours with different badging, trim levels and many more engine/gearbox options. Only the V6 versions were officially imported here for most of the model run, with possibly a few oddballs at the very start.

There are also private imports that seem to come out of the woodwork every so often and they include early 24 Valve, 2.1TD, 2.5TD and a various petrol 4s. Said clubmember may also have a wagon to move along.

I'm fairly sure at least one of the early 24 Valves was lost to an engine fire and probably another was dismantled. The engine from the fire car ended up in a Volvo 264 project - It's detailed on one of a local Volvo forum. A few of the petrol 4s have likely been scrapped or may still exist in a 'retired' state. The local survival rate is likely fairly good given the age and the earliest cars being almost 30.

You probably know this car too David... I bought this from the club member as well, to use for parts.. It's a UK import with cloth interior. Rusty sills & "A" pillar + very tired mechanically.

The rear wheels are off the "good car", as the ones on the parts car wouldn't hold air.

View attachment 109025

I think that's the car that George T brought to Aus in the early 2000s. It has a funny substitute switch for the suspension settings?

Yes, I reckon you are right Craig.. There is a Shannons display card left inside the car from a show at one time, & it lists the Owner as George Thu...... You know the rest. It has a "yellow" compliance plate fitted in 2001... So there is nothing wrong with your memory!

Yes, "Said Club member" does have that Series 2 wagon & would like to shift it, but alas, I have no more room & it would require quite a bit to bring it back...Both the sills are rusty & the car has been "picked at", with various parts missing..But still doable. Dark green with black leather trim, sunroof & 2.5 TD 5 speed.... Nice spec.

Yes, "Said Club member" does have that Series 2 wagon & would like to shift it, but alas, I have no more room & it would require quite a bit to bring it back...Both the sills are rusty & the car has been "picked at", with various parts missing..But still doable. Dark green with black leather trim, sunroof & 2.5 TD 5 speed.... Nice spec.

Also previously belonged to G T.

the ignition problem with the green xm seems to be related to the key.
we've been running with the spare key for the last week and the problem has gone away.
it seems these keys have transponders in them and the big key with the lock blipper might have a faulty transponder which is intermittently dropping out causing the christmas tree light up and the ignition drop out.