Wiper motor gear

notafroggyman

Tadpole
My wiper motor has been making a bit of a noise for a while and I had been meaning to look at it. My hand has now been forced as the wipers gave up on me a couple of days ago. I pulled the wiper motor assembly apart and there is a white plastic gear inside the housing and its teeth are stripper stopping the motor from engaging the linkages to the wiper arms.

1. Does anyone know if the plastic gear can be sourced as a single part or do I need to get a whole assembly?

2. Is the same part (motor assembly) used on other vehicles like the xtrail? I have tried try the wreckers and availability is not great.

It's for a h45 2011 priveledge petrol.

Pic of existing motor assembly attached for reference

Try to add an external link if you are not allowed to post pictures.

Blindly, I would suggest you have a look into compatibility with a Toyota Camry/Prius wiper motor gear/assembly. Those are the strongest I have seen, they literally rock the car on high speed and seem to be indestructible.

Surprised you can't find a Koleos wiper motor.
Have you tried David Cavanagh on this forum?
There are usually a number of sellers on Ebay or Gumtree selling Koleos parts.
They may not have the wiper motor advertised but if you ask they're likely to have one.
There aren't as many Koleos's around as there are X-trails but there should be at least a few in Melbourne.

Here is the link. Part number is zd1636a on the motor https://i.postimg.cc/DwzqG98K/20200926-123841.jpg unfortunately I forgot to get a pic of the gear itself when I had it all opened up :rolleyes:

I have seen a couple second hand ones around. One was $650 🙈 and the other $450 🙉. This seems pretty crazy. I have seen plenty of replacement gears that suit other makes but not one for a renault these are under $50 with the exception of the one I saw for a rolls Royce which was $200 just for the gear- probably cheap for a Rolls part :rolllaugh:

I will reach out to David, I appreciate the suggestion

For a quarter of that kind of money I can machine you a new gear from a better plastic (or steel) if you post yours to WA but try Dave, he's probably the best to ask what fits. I would be surprised if the gear wasn't some generic gear you can buy off the shelf. Just for curiosity, does it have straight teeth? Because if it does, then all you need is to find out the pitch and the number of teeth and you can try to find it here:

https://www.smallparts.com.au/store/subcategories/gears/?v=5083

Here is the link. Part number is zd1636a on the motor https://i.postimg.cc/DwzqG98K/20200926-123841.jpg unfortunately I forgot to get a pic of the gear itself when I had it all opened up :rolleyes:

I have seen a couple second hand ones around. One was $650 🙈 and the other $450 🙉. This seems pretty crazy. I have seen plenty of replacement gears that suit other makes but not one for a renault these are under $50 with the exception of the one I saw for a rolls Royce which was $200 just for the gear- probably cheap for a Rolls part :rolllaugh:

I will reach out to David, I appreciate the suggestion

What they're advertised for and what they'll take are often miles apart.
Offer them $100 and they'll probably take it.
Given the seller probably paid a couple of hundred for the whole car they are unlikely to knock back a reasonable offer.
While there aren't many Koleos's around in the wreckers yards, there aren't a lot of buyers either.
If David can't help, try APC. They're usually parting-out Renaults and their prices aren't usually too bad (although they do have some high prices sometimes). They also sell new parts.

Thanks for everybody's recommendation but we don't have any. The biggest selling item on Koleo's and sell very quickly, we sell them for $330 and are literally hot cakes.
We haven't found any alternative gears.

Thanks for everybody's recommendation but we don't have any. The biggest selling item on Koleo's and sell very quickly, we sell them for $330 and are literally hot cakes.
We haven't found any alternative gears.
So two things go wrong with the Koleos? I seem to recall door locks. Not much else it seems?

hi all apologies for the silence, it all happened while we were away for a couple of days and things have been a bit crazy since then. I did manage to get one for a reasnoble price, got it fitted over the weekend (took a few attempts to get it aligned) and within about 5 days and just 2 days of short commuting in the wet, less than 30 mins of operation, it's just done exactly the same thing 🤬!!!! When I pulled the original apart the motor housing was full of water and lots of rust. The wipers with the original motor were really noisy in the lead up to the failure. I wasn't ever really sure where the noise was coming from, I suspect the bearings in the motor housing were full of rust but they still ran generally unobstructed. the new one was a lot cleaner internally but still had a bit of rust inside

Before fiting the now motor I made sure all the linkages were all lubed up and the mechanism were all running free. I could move the whole mechanism freely, without the wipers attached, so it all seemed good. The new motor had a slight noise but no where near as bad as the original. the only other factor I can think about is the wiper blades themselves but surely they cant be that grippy on a wet windscreen.....

I have taken lots of images from the original motor. I have included measurements also showing the burred out section. I'm happy to try any gear that meets the measurements but dont like my chances. The only think I'm not sure of is the angle on the gears.

I did reach out to Valeo (OEM) and they said the part will be part of thier range from early next year.

Plus tail gate catches. We can't keep up with those either.
Oh and rear diffs and driveshafts on the 4wd models
thanks Dave, this is really interesting to hear. We have already done the rear boot catch a while back. Here's hoping the drive shaft and diff hold up!! Truth be told we dont really use the 4WD other than rare occasions.

Rub a cut potato over the windshield ~ that will keep things nice & slick clean when raining until you get something made. JG.
Wish I had seen this before I installed the new one. I will give the potato a crack. I suspect the new gear is now also burred as the wipers go vertical and then start the return downward swipe and stall about 5 cm from the upmost position.....

I can't see where the burr is?
good point, I got too focused on the measurements. The burr can be seen best in this image the burr itself is directly facing the camera in that shot. the edge is no longer flat but concave meaning the grub screw cannot engage the gear.

You can see where the gear has been chewed up a bit and some bits of white plastic 'dust' stuck to the old lubricant in this image let me know if you want me to grab a better image.

For a quarter of that kind of money I can machine you a new gear from a better plastic (or steel) if you post yours to WA but try Dave, he's probably the best to ask what fits. I would be surprised if the gear wasn't some generic gear you can buy off the shelf. Just for curiosity, does it have straight teeth? Because if it does, then all you need is to find out the pitch and the number of teeth and you can try to find it here:

https://www.smallparts.com.au/store/subcategories/gears/?v=5083
thanks for the suggestion. I tried small parts and they didn't have anything that would match the size, they mentioned they don't really cater for automotive applications. They didn;t know of any other potential suppliers either.

Small parts don't cater explicitly for automotive applications, but gears are gears, don't matter where they go. You'll just need to find a gear in their listings that matches yours. Ideally you would know the diametral pitch, number of teeth and angle of pressure and cut, but for a few bucks I would just measure the outer diameter and count the number of teeth.

That looks like a run of the mill wiper mechanism gear. How many teeth and what is the overall diameter (over the teeth)?

Not easy to see where the burr is, but I think I understand. Sounds like advanced wear, not the result of a catastrophe. Who knows? Maybe the material is crap, maybe there was something that resisted motion too much, whatever. I maintain you should look into adapting a mechanism form a better car like the Corolla I suggested above, else get a brand new one (the one you got was s/h, potentially replaced for the same reason and already worn down, just not as much as yours).

Most expensive solution, I can machine a gear like that from a better material subject to being able to find the right cutting tool (or mickeymousing one).

Just for further info, is there any label on the gear suggesting what it is made of? This would be molded on, and could read for instance ABS or some such. You'll need to wash it clean to find it. This is just to assess what would be a better material.

Good to know this is a weak spot, I have a Koleos and could be facing the same problem in the future. My approach would be as suggested above.

Last edited:
Had the LHS tailgate catch fail a few months ago and decided to have a go at repairing the part that had failed - a small nylon attachment that was no longer engaging and opening the lock. I drilled a fine hole through the plastic part and into the metal below and screwed in a small grub screw. It seems to have worked and cost very little to repair. It did take some precision and quite a lot of patience.

The internals are similar to an English Ambidex fishing reel circa 1950"s. At the Ordnance Factory at Bendigo, we apprentices machined up brass blanks that then went to a tradesman , who used a gear cutting hob to machine the teeth as spare parts for the fishing reels. In the end they could just about produce any replacement parts for the reel. Government wasn't aware of that little cottage industry, of course, and the floor bosses turned a blind eye. The brass gear would be much more durable than the modern nylon.

https://www.vintagetackle.net/JWYoung/Ambidex.htm If you look at the internals on that link you will see what I mean

Good project for someone with access to a well equipped toolroom, I'd say.

Ken

Last edited: