Wheel Balancing Centreless Rims

Ah, so that explains the extra bracing that someone in the deep past welded onto that spot on my car. Apparently Max Mckay insisted that this be done to 23's when they went in for a service. If the owner didn't want to they were told to find another garage.

Shane would be referring to the arm mounts. With age, and, cars that have been driven with flat or low sphere pressure the tube mounts can develop cracks. Engine out to remedy. . .

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Not familiar with chequered flag beads but as a rough guide 2 oz motorbike tyres, 3oz cars, 4oz 4wd and so on up to 12 oz for heavy transport trucks. No point putting more in a tyre but a little more wouldn't hurt as any excess spreads evenly around the inside circumference. I wouldn't put any less in though. If you have a buckled wheel or a hard old bulging tyre,no amount of balancing weight will stop the shakes! If installing through the valve stem only 1mm beads will go through. If they are put in the tyre directly anything goes. Astra has 1mm beads but everything else I have seen is too big to pass the valve stem. Other brands may have 1mm too but I haven't struck them yet. David

Apparently Bob Jane Tyres Prospect (SA) can balance D series rims

An old thread I know. However this centreless balancing was an issue for me until yesterday and I would like to provide some updated information. Took my 306 to CC Tyres in Penrith for new tyres (went with Toyo Proxes), balance and alignment. They (happily) did centreless balancing for $15 per wheel with the new tyres, and the car has been transformed! They were helpful throughout and despite having to travel from Dural, it was well worth the trip.

Hi all,

don't forget us early guys with the single centre hex key bolt on ID/DS up to 1965.

I don't think most of these suppliers could do these also, due to the centre bolt? Can anyone advise? If anyone knows of a shop that could do this in Melbourne please post.

I went to Eastland Tyres (Ringwood) on recommendation (about a year ago, tyres from Longstone) but they could not / did not balance my wheels after fitting. I was disappointed.

Cheers Leconte

Leconte,
Mate isn't it strange that they didn't inform/quote you for this before they took your dollars ?????

Delarue Corner DANDENONG road and darling rd east Malvern have the machines to do this

Bit of a nightmare finding places that will balance centreless rims (for the Xantia). I added to a blog but its on the Pug site.

I can only speak for Melbourne (inner north). Please add other locations/states etc as appropriate:

At Bob Jane Preston ask for Laurie to do the job (they were really persistent with my job and I attended twice to get it right)

Haven't used this JaxQuickfit Essendon provider but apparently they do the gig

Hi folks, might have to delete Spinning Wheel tyres at Waterloo, they are now Jax. I just called re tyres for the 2cv and checked. A shame. The guy said old apparatus is gone. Chris M

Small update. Malvern Tyre and Service on the corner of Dandenong Rd and Darling Rd are still doing centreless wheels.

Talking with the owner, they are one of only 2 places left in Vic that have the machine. Seems they are well know for it and have been trusted with Bugatti's among other exotica

i have a set of wide rims fitted to my Peugeot 404 .i had a machine shop remove about 50 mm of the center ,so i could get them balanced anywhere ,then replaced the removed section with a square hole in it [to hold the captive nut that locates the hub cap ]so it is removeable ,,been running it for over 12mths with the caps on ,seems fine no rattling etc at all