Victorian Fuel pricing trends Versus Queensland or other states.

Brisbane jumped around 20 cents in the last couple of days.
With Easter about a month away don't expect any relief in the near future.

Brisbane jumped around 20 cents in the last couple of days.
With Easter about a month away don't expect any relief in the near future.

Not true - just follow the cycle and you'll see it come down again. Use the tech ! It's really not that hard.

At the moment Brisbane and Melbourne cycles pretty much match up.

Motormouth 200218.jpg

Cheers

Justin

Common sub 130 for E10/95 which is 30+ savings
30 off at any other time for any other fuel would have massive traffic disruptions.
Odd!

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Checking the checkers. worth a look.

Not true - just follow the cycle and you'll see it come down again. Use the tech ! It's really not that hard.

At the moment Brisbane and Melbourne cycles pretty much match up.

View attachment 103794

Cheers

Justin

Thanks Justin, but I have noted in the past that a closer check of the levels between products, is mostly where the profit manipulation devils dance! :evil:

ULP or 91 RON is fast becoming a redundant benchmark as it only represents a very small portion of actual sales - useful for some industry sources to quote as a benchmark when it is not these days. Not the fuel that most motorists use. :) it will be useful for members to observe this oil industry induced cycle, will it be short in duration and then have a massive kick up in prices before the Easter break? or be an excuse for a long climb and very slow reduction after Easter, both have been done in the past.

Good to have consumer eyes looking out for this.:headbang:

Informed motorists can be just as good as "informed sources" as consumers closely watch the prices IMHO!

Thanks for contributing to the observations.

Ken:)

Melbourne petrol price cycles just heading back up again now - hope everyone has filled up !

Cheers

Justin

Someone was asking about the whereabouts of Kenfuego. Surely THIS topic will bring him out of hiding? :)

Ian.

It's Easter, (and school holidays in QLD) of course the petrol prices are going to go up.
I'll say about, 20cents/ltr compared to 2 weeks ago.

Just a few observations of the "controlled/contrived" market.

Came back from Tasmania, where fuel prices are always higher than the mainland according to my daughter, but in reality on the last two trips with the Megane Diesel, there wasn't that much difference. Shell still seemed the push leader for higher diesel prices and due to my daughter saving up shopper dockets the Caltex/Safeway in Launceston outlet was even lower than my Melbourne Diesel Price paid. Mind you Melbourne prices have been artificially high and one has to watch closely the way prices are handled between the various blends on offer.

I still fill up the Laguna and Fuego on 98 RON, so keep an eye out for the 98 Ron pricing and fill up every now and again when it is more reasonably priced. I have found it is best to avoid 95 RON as this is often rip off priced as it is the most popular fill for some and the margin between ulp and 95 that used to be 5 cents can get up to 25 or more cents:eek: when the servos can slip in the excuse to lift profits at the expense of motorists!:blackeye:

While Nagaman's favourite brand does have some lower pricing, it also jumps margins between outlets, and you do need to check your fuel price carefully to get the most out of their pricing as I have found outlets in the same country area have a few cents difference even though only a kilometre or two from each other, O.k. I accept that different loads of fuel might be differently priced! but then motorists have to be smart AND observant and buy where their dollar goes furthest!

Recently I had to do a business trip and fuel in Melbourne was very high, United locally had Diesel at 121 cents a litre while most others were 139 plus cents a litre and Shell 144.9 cents a litre. I took a punt and headed country hoping those prices might be cheaper.

At Wallan I HAD to buy fuel, so opted for a Shell fill of diesel that cost me $70 for the tank full (@ 1.399 a litre cost on the docket )(last filled in Tassie!) and even had a very pleasant attendant fill the tank, good gosh kerbside service ! :D and the Megane seemed to like their fuel fill! O.K. it wasn't as cheap as my Local United outlet, but competitive with the most others in Melbourne and I needed it! Might have got to Kilmore, but then all those outlets were dearer again with Shell in the 144 range -now how can shell sell at less in Wallan when Kilmore is further away from the Melbourne source. I guess you would have to ask the ACCC and Shell.:rolleyes:

For some reason I choose not to use United Diesel if I can avoid it, just a personal thing as most motorists have a preference, some other cheaper brands I do use, but again comes down to observation of performance in use I guess. I do use their 98 Ron petrol on occasions with no perceptible downsides. Just my preference and I have no commercial association with any brands at this time.

On the return journey I bought an APCO fill at $1.289 and a whole $27 to fill the tank and of course that was much cheaper than most brands when I got back to Melbourne. Might be tempted to try United Diesel if it remains at 121 plus cents a litre.:D and the others in the 144 range.:)

Hopefuly all of our froggers are observant and put their fuel dollar where it benefits them the most as that is the only way we can adjust/pressure pricing changes, as I can't see politicians bothering to help us by pressuring the market to keep fuel prices low.:blackeye:

I kind of feel for those using LPG as the difference is great with some shell outlets at 84 cents and prices at other brands in the 60 cents range. so it would pay to be observant and take advantage for those that are price conscious.

Regards Ken.

I did take a few photographs of pricing on the recent trip, interesting but not definitive..

Filled up the Golf i had for a few weeks with United diesel @ 124c/l while others were @ 139.9 & shell even higher. Didn't notice any difference in performance.
What is the difference in diesel fuel? A friend drives an X5 and needed a new fuel pump (i think he means a new injection pump) that costs over $30k or $22k 'wholesale'. Apparently they had that problem with their diesel X5 in the US and BMW did the job under warranty there. In Australia BMW blames bad diesel fuel and wont cover the replacement :confused:
Anyhow, his insurance covered it eventually because he a faultless receipt tail proving his fuel sources.

Ehhhh? I know beemers are supposed to be highfalutin and all, but wow.

High milage BMW X5 V8 petrol engines have a habit of having the timing chain skates collapse. This results in timing chains derailing and valve gridlock with pistons : the full catastrophe.

Sensible owners notice the warning signs by the start up noise.

My (recently deceased) friend had this happen, within a week of hearing the noise, and the rebuild with BMW oem parts by a non dealer was quoted at $38k.

He found a used engine for $7k - and had the skates replaced before installation. :wink2:

A mate’s BMW V8 had a water cooled alternator failure with the coolant going up the loom shorting the instruments.
Much expense. Ok if you’re loaded or running a profitable business.

When I went to school , coolant, was a liquid, and wasn't capable of "going up the (wiring) loom" :D

It was a water cooled alternator instead of a noisy fan method......I guess it’s something not commonly known about.
The pressurised system forced the coolant out through the instrument cluster.

The C4P is now indicating that over the last 9,000kms the average speed was 65 and consumption 5.2......down from 5.3 after the last alpine/Errinundra trip too....and all on United’s E10/95.