Victorian Fuel pricing trends Versus Queensland or other states.

Ul at the shell servo just over Westgate bridge on the left (outbound) in Melbourne Rd. was in the $1.50+ (don't recall the exact price - not that interested to be ripped :))

State and Federal Energy Ministers meeting today to discuss energy security and national stockpiling of fuel.

Fuel tax and GST must be falling rapidly, just my cynical response... a "real" political crisis...

International Brent Crude still falling, how far will it go and will our prices at the pump continue down, haven't had to fill either car, not travelling too much lately - saving money.

Brent Crude as at 31/03/2020 $22.50 Down9.8% on the day Down 67% on last year

Hope the pump price in your locality is still going down....down.

Regards

Ken

135.? around Boorundara, 117.? in Richmond

Haven't been driving much since they sent us home from work.
Prices don't appear to be much different than a few weeks ago.
Standard ULP hovering just below $1.20/ltr, usually about 1.17

Turns out when they flood the market with crude the prices go down....who would have guessed ? !

The Sydney fuel price curve is still on the downward cycle at the moment - cheap enough to fill up without even checking !

Cheers

Justin

Cheap fuel aplenty when we're all told to stay at home! Such irony...

Saw 91 at 1.13 odd this morning on my way to get groceries.

I listened to Donald Trump this morning explaining his approach to the whole Russia/Saudi confrontation, he feels that would be an easy one to settle in the interests of all oil producing nations and thinks there will be a mutual settlement as he explained you can't even charter a tanker at this time as they are all parked everywhere around the world filled with a glut of over production. alexanders great Cotango or whatever one likes to call cartel activity storing oil to sell at a better profit level some time in the future to "stabilize world pricing levels" But with their Russia /Saudi inability to negotiate suitable production level cuts to raise prices. The bottom line is much better for American motorists (and world motorists) in the short term with prices bottoming out in the pump pricing, soon might be a $1 an American gallon, now that offhand remark might really set the cat among the cartel pigeons as those prices haven't been seen for years.

So as Trump says yes it is hitting oil producers hard in what he understands to be a "difficult" market, but if the American motorist get relief at the pump at least they are benefitting.. Practically he was saying that would be an easy thing to fix.

Might spark another International slump in crude, so Russia and China who have secured huge future contracts from Venezuala, Brazil and Emerging African States might have to cough up for contracts at a higher price, than the present cheap market.

Lots of speculation and speculators but with shares on a downward dive and oil heading down further, something has to give and will happen as Trump seems to be foreshadowing. Maybe our Government could be in a better position now to buy up cheap oil if it decided it needed a return to the conservative position of maintaining a strategic reserve over the coming years.

Some interesting things being played out at an International level and of course the American Strategic Reserve is being replenished with cheap oil while it is cheap!! But just enough to make sure its own vulnerable shale producers can survive in a difficult market and of course Trump can use Tarrif to control that pain if he chooses.

Hope our ACCC makes sure Australian motorists get their share of relief at the pump. rather than excuses why prices have to rise as the world market price falls, and Covid restrictions mean less ordinary motorist travel, hence why in Britain some fuel retailers are closing down petrol sales points. We may see this here as well.

If the pump price eventually goes down, maybe us motorists might by a 200 litre bulk deal or two..soak up some of the bargains..

Ken

Hope our ACCC makes sure Australian motorists get their share of relief at the pump. rather than excuses why prices have to rise as the world market price falls, and Covid restrictions mean less ordinary motorist travel, hence why in Britain some fuel retailers are closing down petrol sales points. We may see this here as well.
Ken

Sorry, I would believe the Easter Bunny before believing the ACCC will do anything on fuel pricing.
But since we've been forced to work from home I've been using bugger-all petrol anyway so it doesn't matter how cheap it is.
The lawn mower has been burning more fuel than the cars lately (no, not really but it seems like it).

Well in watching the Brent Price, seems Trump has worked some magic on the self destruction war between Russia and the Saudi Prince, and there seems to be an uneasy truce if not agreement to stop pumping cheap oil into an over saturated crude oil market seems the strategy is to keep the better shale producers alive (just) in the USA so that they can play a vital role in super charging the American Economy after the Covid-19 crisis is over and the danger of a World Wide Economic Recession fades left or right stage.. The Brent hit an all time low $22.50 a Barrel at the end of March and with Trump carrot and stick negotiation it is now moving slowly upwards and is now.

09/04/2020 $32.30 Up 1.4% on the day Down 55% on last year so probably the lowest that our Retail at the pump prices SHOULD go and heavy pressure here on the retailers at Easter is a traditional upward sellers market to push pricings BUT with the Bans on no essential travelling, it is lower prices and sell, sell, sell, in the hope that some motorists will risk travelling, even though breaking the rules and heading to holiday spots is strictly frowned upon and may attract huge fines, and cost lives of those vulnerable.

I did some essential food shopping at COSTCO and at the same time filled my tank and a 20 litre container as I figure the price could rise, though away from Costco prices were shall I say repressed, but not down to the Costco pricing - I would have filled a 20 litre Ron 90 container, but it is already full..

So I am a fuel hoarder, now and ready for the lowering of restriction on travel if and when that comes as I am fairly certain (on past performance) prices will head upwards very smartly.

anyway this was the pump price for comparison with hopefully better pricing "somewhere" for a lucky Frogger.

Diesel was 108.7 cents a litre, 98 was (sorry REN) 111.7 cents a litre and 91 RON (Ulp) was 86.7 cents a litre .

On the Bathroom rolls and so forth and most food, seems it is mostly back to normal with quite large packs (1 to a member) of the TP, plenty of Rice, Flour and Pasta, plenty of Grog and plenty of space between shoppers.

What is worrying was the number of family sedans lined up back into the street (late afternoon) which might indicate many are thinking of beating the Stay at Home Ban and travelling this Easter Weekend. I'm told that Police are anticipating some will do this and most of the usual Easter Holiday destinations are putting up the Not Welcome signs and police are poised with infringement books and Daniel Andrews needs the revenue... that he does to be fair say he hopes that no fines are issued due to people doing the right thing and STAYING HOME - lots of electronic signs out with STAY HOME on them..

Hopefully good compliance will mean that the statistical curve downwards will allow earlier relaxation during the next few weeks.

Stay Safe

Ken

Ken,

My local Costco has 98 premium for 99.7c/L

The deal Trump brokered between Saudi and Russia is to bring a cut of 9.7 million barrels a day. But there are 160 million barrels stored in tankers because of over production and lowered demand. So lower fuel prices should be on offer for some time. Trump has ordered that America buy as much cheap oil as possible for their strategic reserve. Sanctions affected Iranian oil has traded for as low as $5 a barrel.

Russell I have noticed that following on from the Trump intervention the Brent crude price that had dropped to an all time low (For Brent)
31/03/2020 $22.50 Down9.8% on the day Down 67% on last year
then crept up again to high of
09/04/2020 $32.30 Up 1.4% on the day Down 55% on last year

It is now drifting down again probably for the reasons you point out. If the lockdowns and reduced travel are not addressed soon in a sales uptick the curve may be dramatic and swift as the bottom drops out of the market

Ken

Did a small drive today as Victoria relaxes its lockdown.

It's a while since I needed any fuel, but today for comparison Diesel at Costco Epping (we could legally drive there today) was 97.7 cents per litre so I topped up the Megane, didn't take much and I do have a 20 litre of more expensive fuel.....:cry: from earlier.:rolleyes:

Anyway 98 RON was 98.7 cents a litre and 91 RON ULP was 80.7 cents a litre

I should get 20 litres of 98 for the Laguna and mower fuel mixer...

Anyway on the way back we were quite satisfied with the Costo pricing as Shell (Vitol) at Bundoora had ULP 91 at 119.9 cents a litre Diesel at 122.9 cents a litre and LPG at 65 cents a litre Lord knows what their 98 RON is and BP at Kingsbury appeared to be similar in pricing.

When I last checked Brent crude was : 12/05/2020 $29.90 Down 3.6% on the day Down 58% on the year so it has changed a bit since.28/04/2020 $19.70 Down 8.3% on the day Down 74% on the year

Hope you did considerably better than I did in your neck of the woods...

Ken

Just a minor update COSTCO price yesterday was DIESEL 101.7 cents a litre same as the 91 ULP Price. 98 RON was 116.7 cents a litre - Brent price had shot up last week but has settled down again, still 38% below last years prices. International markets must be stabilizing around those price levels.

Hope you bought at Lower prices in your neck of the woods.

Ken