Two new racecars in NZ

I once had a oil filled industrial pressure gauge as oil pressure gauge in a Pug 106. Worked fine but after a while the silicone oil seemed to become contaminated by engine oil.
An internal leak I guess.

Could something similar be the cause here?

Last edited:
Hi All,

Hi ReidarUF, I know the gauges you are talking about. We have used it in the industry and they are actually filled with Glyserine. The Bourdon tube, that is driving the needle, and the casing of the gauge is totally sealed from one another so you must have had a leaking Bourdon tube. Maybe it was over pressured before you got it. I have not seen oil on the floor or in the gauge so I don't think it is a similar cause.

About 4 - 5 weeks ago Johan and myself went to Taupo for a play day. All went well and we enjoyed the day a lot. The spectators had a good show because during the last 2 races we chose to be in the same starting grid. I went ahead and he chased me all the way. Right up my tail, then on the last run he went ahead and I chased him all the way again. I would give my left ear for a video of that. I think sometimes when there is no pressure the enjoyment is so much more.

When I got home I unpacked the car and when I went out to bring the race car in I heard this bad rumbling thrust bearing. I have 2 spares here and decided to change it this week. On Wednesday I started the car to turn it around and the noise was gone, so I went for a drive thinking that it may need to be hot to make the noise. Nothing as quiet as a bed lamp. I started to doubt myself but thought I might redo some wrapping on the exhaust that has come loose. Did that but could not get over the thrust bearing so I decided to pull the engine in any case just to have a look. There we have it, spinning it by hand made a rumble. Glad I did do it!

Now I have the oil gauges in as well and I have bled the mechanical gauge again and it is much better. Maybe I didn't bleed enough oil out, who knows.

With all this issues going on at our home track, I am having my own race this coming weekend at Taupo again with some new guys I've never met. Don't know what they are racing, might be Skylines and Evos, but I am going to enjoy myself. I will make an effort to get some incar footage.

Regards, Frans.

Hi Frans,
Good on you for finding a way to continue with your passion, and good to see Johan is out there doing it too.
Thanks to both of you for keeping the Renault flag flying.

Henry

A short video of me and Johan at the playday mentioned in my previous post. Strange how much it looks like crawling all the way but not if you are in the car at the time! As Johan said to me that incar footage of F1 looks reasonably slow as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhmMlY1vXPw&t=378s

Frans.

Enjoyed your footage Frans. Yes it looks like a nice cruise. :wink2:
Cockpit looks awesome
Thanks for posting and keep them coming

Frans,
Video a smart bit of fun, can remember running Jannie van Rooyan's R8/807 at Swaartkops and Kyalami on practice days, running new motors in. Great time. You guys had good fun.

Thanks for posting,
Ray

Hi All,

As mentioned in my "moan and groan" post I went racing again at Taupo this weekend. This was the making up race as I'm not going to do the original "Icebreaker".

This was a Club race and not a whole lot of different categories. I have never spent so much time behind the wheel as I did this weekend. Normally we would have qualifying and a scratch race on the Saturday and 2 handicap races on the Sunday. This weekend we had qualifying and 4 dual car sprints on Saturday on the National track. Very twisty 2.2km and 1min 25sec per lap. Then on Sunday we had qualifying, scratch race and 2 handicap races on the International track, 3.4km and 2min per lap. I didn't do the last handicap race because I was out of tyres, fuel and brakes by that time.

The competition was another surprise. It ranged from me to an Aussie Falcon, with Subaru's, Skylines, Altezzas, one Altezza had a V8
in, two 5l Mercs, a whole gaggle of Toyota Sprinters, Honda Civics and Integras, Mazda RX7 etc. I was a little outclassed here because of all the modern stuff. All of them 16 valves and better. Even the V8s had 16 valves :).

I still have the oil pressure problem and it looks to me like the oil is overheating. On the short track I had no issues on Saturday. On the long track I had no issues with qualifying, the scratch race and soon after that the handicap race and then it dropped away to dangerous low levels.

Overall the weekend was great fun and the competition came from a MX5, Celica, Sprinters and a Falcon XR6.

I have 3 videos to edit and will post the links when that is done.

Regards, Frans.

Hi All,

The videos have been uploaded to YouTube.

The Dual Car Sprints on Saturday I have one and it might get a bit boring because not much going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbuVIB3VVbc&index=4&list=UUO4yhzd-dEGVN9bBNFmzrPg

The Scratch Race on Sunday wasn't that bad to watch. I'm glad to have passed a few 16 valvers and I was hassled the whole race by the black Toyota Sprinter. He caught me with my pants down on the last lap, second last corner, but the Renault power helped me to get my place back. Also after the race take note that the oil pressure is still normal and high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV6_6nvzWSM&index=3&list=UUO4yhzd-dEGVN9bBNFmzrPg

The Handicap race has a few shots as at 6:11 into the video I had a good save. Towards the end I caught up with the Falcon and kept him honest for a while until the green Civic spoiled it a bit on the last lap. Now notice the oil pressure drop away. Heat? the two races was within about 10 minutes from one another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DauS_4FfgeM&feature=youtu.be

I have these 3 videos from 7 times out on the track. So I am not good at multi-tasking. Please give your thoughts again on the oil pressure issue.

Regards, Frans.

Last edited:
Gee frans,your car is quick! And well driven.after watching the videos i am now in two minds about whether to sprint the r8 or the alfa 75 next month.thanks mate:wink2::confused:

Frans, the car looks really well set up so you can absolutely get the most out it.

Potenz, drive the car that is easy to drive fast. You will be less likely to make a mistake, have more time to concentrate on race-craft. Frans makes it look easy but it is really hard work to keep on it lap after lap like that.

I believe the problem with the oil pressure is more likely related to the duration of the races not just the temp it reaches. Maybe look at a larger cooler to increase the volume of oil in the system without going to a dry sump. The issue of aeration over a long distance could be a factor. An OBERG filter can also be a way of reducing aeration. They are not too expensive, easy to install and service. :2cents:

Gee frans,your car is quick! And well driven.after watching the videos i am now in two minds about whether to sprint the r8 or the alfa 75 next month.thanks mate:wink2::confused:

It is very difficult to compare one's race car with others on track because all of the others have been modified to some extent. Some more and some less. All have been lightened, just about all has performance chips in (so easy), all have upgraded brakes because standard brakes don't cut the mustard and so I can go on and on. Even the XR6 has Brembo brakes on. The dangerous ones that can surprise you are the ones where a certain make was raced overseas and the speed parts are freely available to buy and bolt on. normally those parts are race proven as well which makes it easier.

Bustamif......thanks for your insight. I can learn a lot from you with your experience. Never even heard of an OBERG filter and now that I've looked at it, it looks good. One thing I should mention is that the Scratch race where the pressure remains constant was actually longer than the Handicap race where the oil pressure dropped. The time during the SC was long and because we were so far behind the SC laps were done flatout to catch up. So I would like to say that the duration is not an issue??? Open to comments. The one thing I will concentrate on now is the position of the oil cooler. At the moment it is sitting on the crossmember above the gearbox. An ideal place for me but I have no scoops or ducting to direct air to it. Who knows if it gets any at all. At least it increases the volume.

So, always something to look at.

Regards, Frans.

Agree on moving the oil cooler as the most cost effective to try first. Just do a quick temporary set up to test then make it pretty and more permanent if it makes any improvement.

Frans,
It's my unqualified opinion that Johan's car seems a lot looser on the road than yours, therefore I believe that he is working a bit harder than you to achieve the same lap times. Maybe its his shocks, or tyres! Have you noticed this. To both of you, keep up the good work, it;s great to see.

Henry

A short video of me and Johan at the playday mentioned in my previous post. Strange how much it looks like crawling all the way but not if you are in the car at the time! As Johan said to me that incar footage of F1 looks reasonably slow as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhmMlY1vXPw&t=378s

Frans.

Thanks Frans, now everybody knows I drive like a Doos. (Doos=Box)
I was blaming my car to be slower but now I see it is the driver!!

After reading Henry's comments I had a closer look at the video of the two cars as seen from Frans car. Frans car seems stiffer in the front and has a little understeer. Johan's looks to be softer in the front which is why the rear end wants to overtake the front on turn in when braking. The rear shocks on Johan's also seem to lack rebound control, making it a little twitchy. Great footage to watch, thanks guys!

Last edited:
Apart from checking the rear shocks/dampers on Johan's car, maybe take a close look at the mounts and links on the front sway bar. That's assuming it has a front bar, if it does'nt have one, that would explain the handling behaviour.

Sorry to hijack your tread Frans. I suspect my front sway bar is thicker than Frans's It is 23mm and comes of a v6 Capri. Me thinks the mountings is uggely but sturdy. Rear shocks could be a problem, I don't even know what's the make.