Two new racecars in NZ

Hi Alpinesau,

I wasn't aware of the R5 pumps. Do they have higher volume pumps fitted as standard?

My current pump is standard R8 pump ie. the short gears and yes I am aware of the G pumps higher volume.The G pump gears are 6mm longer and my idea was to exceed this and do the 10mm or 12mm so that it will have plenty volume in hand and as an experiment as well.

Henry, You are correct in all those points and to be honest, I haven't even thought of it. Yes the list will be much longer although the anti-roll bar is standard :headbang:

Regards, Frans.

Looks like the R5 Alpine & R5A Turbo have a similar set-up to the R8, but are bigger. (Refer the details on the Meca-Parts catalogue.) There are 2 or 3 options.
Ignore the photo which is from an R16 engine.

Attachments

• oil pump gears.jpg
    oil pump gears.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
MP0400.jpg

If there is differences in oil pump capacity among the cleon powered R5 models I would think the R5 gt turbo(120bhp) would be the one to check out.

Hi Alpinesau,

I wasn't aware of the R5 pumps. Do they have higher volume pumps fitted as standard?

My current pump is standard R8 pump ie. the short gears and yes I am aware of the G pumps higher volume.The G pump gears are 6mm longer and my idea was to exceed this and do the 10mm or 12mm so that it will have plenty volume in hand and as an experiment as well.

Henry, You are correct in all those points and to be honest, I haven't even thought of it. Yes the list will be much longer although the anti-roll bar is standard :headbang:

Regards, Frans.

Ray.....

Hi All,

Went racing yesterday!!

We raced at the Pukekohe track which should be known to most of you petrol heads. This track had a small change a few years ago. Because of the very long straight, a kink was introduced in the straight to slow cars down. The other times I raced here we raced on the layout that included the kink, but yesterday we raced on the old layout using the long straight. This allowed me to use max top end with my car. With my new settings on the MegaJolt I managed to get the shift lights to come on in top gear down that long straight.

So, I calculated my top speed and it is hard to believe. If it is correct, I am very chuffed. Please check my calcs and say where I went wrong, if I did.

Rear tyre size: Toyo R888 185/65x13
I used 1:1 ratio for top gear.
Diff ratio of 16TS= 3.77:1
Engine rpm =7200.

My circumference worked out to 1793mm, and according to Google calculator at my engine rpm of 7200 it topped out at 205 kmh.

Regards, Frans.

Frans, I haven't checked the calculations but I'd believe it of you and the car!

Best wishes to you and yours for 2019.

Hi All,

Went racing yesterday!!

We raced at the Pukekohe track which should be known to most of you petrol heads. This track had a small change a few years ago. Because of the very long straight, a kink was introduced in the straight to slow cars down. The other times I raced here we raced on the layout that included the kink, but yesterday we raced on the old layout using the long straight. This allowed me to use max top end with my car. With my new settings on the MegaJolt I managed to get the shift lights to come on in top gear down that long straight.

So, I calculated my top speed and it is hard to believe. If it is correct, I am very chuffed. Please check my calcs and say where I went wrong, if I did.

Rear tyre size: Toyo R888 185/65x13
I used 1:1 ratio for top gear.
Diff ratio of 16TS= 3.77:1
Engine rpm =7200.

My circumference worked out to 1793mm, and according to Google calculator at my engine rpm of 7200 it topped out at 205 kmh.

Regards, Frans.

In in a previous post I noted that I did a top speed of 142kmh down the main straight of Sandown, but rev limited at 5000 ( was running in my engine). I am running also a R16 strong box.

According, if I could run at 7200rpm, then my theoretical top speed would be using linear extrapolation: 142/5000 X 7200 = 204.48kmh!

So I believe you are on the money Frans!

Angelo

Why not get a GPS and take out the vagaries of the input data?

Short of that, I would measure the actual circumference of the wheel (mark wheel and road, roll one full turn with the car, mark road, measure) because I suspect that is the most uncertain of all.

Either way, even approaching 200km/h in a R8 is a performance in itself.

I have seen 200km/h in a few cars and it's not always comfortable. I remember well 150km/h in my dad's R12 and that was pretty focusing to put it that way.

Why not get a GPS and take out the vagaries of the input data?

Short of that, I would measure the actual circumference of the wheel (mark wheel and road, roll one full turn with the car, mark road, measure) because I suspect that is the most uncertain of all.

Either way, even approaching 200km/h in a R8 is a performance in itself.

I have seen 200km/h in a few cars and it's not always comfortable. I remember well 150km/h in my dad's R12 and that was pretty focusing to put it that way.

Agree that a GPS can do it. I'll have to re-program the Megajolt so that I have an output LED come on at 4000 rpm, check the speed on the motorway and then calculate from there what 7200 will give me because I don't know whenever we will run on that track configuration again to it actually achieve that speed. The wheel circumference was done exactly as you suggested. That is where I got my 1793mm from. I am positive about the 7200 because I don't think the MegaJolt will be out at all. It is not like a rev counter that could read a little high or a little low.

In the one heat I easily outran a V6 Ford Telstar. That is with the 2500 V6 engine. TX5? But I think it was a standard engine with only a lightened body. I must admit that it was the first car that outbraked me. I went to talk to the owner afterwards and noted that he had massive Wilwoods on there and he said that they are setting the car up for endurance racing.

That speed was sort of uncomfortable but I weren't allowed to go slower, we were racing.

In this configuration it becomes a big horsepower track. I noticed it because in my Youtube videos you can see me overtake an orange TVR powered by the 3000cc Ford Essex V6 regularly. On Monday it stayed ahead and I couldn't overtake it.

I will still see how the incar cam videos came out and post it here.

Thanks Angelo, Now I AM chuffed with the blue beast!!

Regards, Frans.

Agree that a GPS can do it. I'll have to re-program the Megajolt so that I have an output LED come on at 4000 rpm, check the speed on the motorway and then calculate from there what 7200 will give me because I don't know whenever we will run on that track configuration again to it actually achieve that speed. The wheel circumference was done exactly as you suggested. That is where I got my 1793mm from. I am positive about the 7200 because I don't think the MegaJolt will be out at all. It is not like a rev counter that could read a little high or a little low.

In the one heat I easily outran a V6 Ford Telstar. That is with the 2500 V6 engine. TX5? But I think it was a standard engine with only a lightened body. I must admit that it was the first car that outbraked me. I went to talk to the owner afterwards and noted that he had massive Wilwoods on there and he said that they are setting the car up for endurance racing.

That speed was sort of uncomfortable but I weren't allowed to go slower, we were racing.

In this configuration it becomes a big horsepower track. I noticed it because in my Youtube videos you can see me overtake an orange TVR powered by the 3000cc Ford Essex V6 regularly. On Monday it stayed ahead and I couldn't overtake it.

I will still see how the incar cam videos came out and post it here.

Thanks Angelo, Now I AM chuffed with the blue beast!!

Regards, Frans.

I don't think you are out or if you are not by much. Would be interesting to have it recorded on telemetry/GPS just for giggles.

And posterity!

Absolutely brilliant! As an engineer and driver.

Please expand on " slightly uncomfortable" driving it at over 200 kph. I have had my Alpine kitted R8G rally car flat stick on the Nullarbor. But not that quick. Just how floaty was it ?
Cheers Keith

Hi Keith,

That is a hard to answer question. Driving Miss Daisy will wet her skirt, Evil Knievel would want to do 400Kmh.

Luckily it was a very hot wind still day. So all I can say is my knuckles were whiter at Hampton Downs doing 170 in head-on winds. So in short, it wasn't that loose and I could check my gauges going down the straight.

Regards, Frans.

Thanks for expanding your comments, Frans.
Glad it was a still day.
You got enough power out of hot air to make 205 kph!! You are hereby awarded a Gold Medal for engine building and tuning. Utmost respect.Keith

Absolutely brilliant! As an engineer and driver.

Please expand on " slightly uncomfortable" driving it at over 200 kph. I have had my Alpine kitted R8G rally car flat stick on the Nullarbor. But not that quick. Just how floaty was it ?
Cheers Keith

Some of us remember bags of cement in R8 boots, regarding "floaty".....

Some of us remember bags of cement in R8 boots, regarding "floaty".....

Always carried a heavy toolbox as far forward as possible in the 10S. I think 10s were worse than 8s because air pressure centre was further forward of centre of mass. Cross winds at high speed were never fun. SA in 1970 had no open road limit, but at least top wack was only a bit over 150 kph.

I remember taking my R10 "off the clock" way back in the day, and that was scary. I was definitely wide eyed and white knuckled. It was wandering a fair bit but I think it would have been worse without the Hermes aerofoil under the front. I was on a very long downhill and I guess I would have been doing about 160 kph.

Henry