Two 505 GTIs for sale . . .

Ingolf

Fellow Frogger
I recently got good advice from this forum after the auto transmission in my 1988 505 GTI suddenly stopped working. The consensus seemed to settle on the splines in the torque converter having sheared. Thanks again to everyone.

After letting things settle for a few weeks I've decided to put the old girl up for sale as is. She's in excellent nick (see photos) with just under 300,000 km, near new Dunlop SP Sport Touring tyres, nine months Rego remaining, timing belt replaced about 10,000 km ago, new alternator about 20,000 km ago. Aside from the auto transmission issue, the only problem I'm aware of is the air conditioning compressor which failed shortly before the auto transmission.

I also have a white 1984 505 GTI which has been sitting covered in the shed for the last six years after 15 years of happy motoring. In 2015 oil turned up in the water and I decided to buy the 1988 505 GTI rather than getting it fixed up. No photos at the moment but can do some when things get to the pointy end.

I live way out in the country in Queensland which can make it a bit tricky to find parts and help. Also, I clearly don't make the grade as a true aussiefrogs enthusiast! So, seems to me the most sensible answer is to find a deserving home for these two vehicles.

No idea about price so open to suggestions. It would be ideal if both went to one buyer but let's see how it unfolds.

Ingolf

Attachments

• IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0487.jpg
    IMG_0487.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_0489.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0490.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 245
If only I had or could get a car trailer, a week off work and guaranteed forgiveness from my wife then I would happily take these off your hands! The blue one looks great, even immobile. Sadly I'm in Sydney and have none of the above. Good luck with the sale, sad that you have to let them go. Great cars.

If only I had or could get a car trailer, a week off work and guaranteed forgiveness from my wife then I would happily take these off your hands! The blue one looks great, even immobile. Sadly I'm in Sydney and have none of the above. Good luck with the sale, sad that you have to let them go. Great cars.
Hey, really sorry to be so slow in replying (I forgot to take the box to notify me of replies!).

A mate's a trucker so in the relatively unlikely event that he's got space on a load heading to Sydney you want me to get in contact if I've still got the two?

Which area do you live in, Ingolf ?
Beano, again, sorry to be so slow in replying.

I live between Miles and Wandoan in Queensland . . . it's about 370 km from Brisbane, more or less NW.

The (implied lack of) forgiveness from Lowpug's wife may prevent any sale...:rolleyes::oops::cool:

Hey, really sorry to be so slow in replying (I forgot to take the box to notify me of replies!).

A mate's a trucker so in the relatively unlikely event that he's got space on a load heading to Sydney you want me to get in contact if I've still got the two?
It wouldn't hurt, who knows! The white GTi, is it manual or auto?

Those three speed autos were almost indestructible if given the correct oil. They regularly went to the wreckers (often simply as economic writeoffs) at around 400,000 Ks with the original gearbox still working fine. And it was a beautifully balanced car with that box in it....a real pleasure to drive...even slowly. I can't emphasize that enough. You felt that "this is how suspension, handling and gearchanges should be". Only drawback was the low ratio in top gear, giving you high (ish) revs on the highway....but this could be corrected with a lower ratio diff....as I did.

Those three speed autos were almost indestructible if given the correct oil. They regularly went to the wreckers (often simply as economic writeoffs) at around 400,000 Ks with the original gearbox still working fine. And it was a beautifully balanced car with that box in it....a real pleasure to drive...even slowly. I can't emphasize that enough. You felt that "this is how suspension, handling and gearchanges should be". Only drawback was the low ratio in top gear, giving you high (ish) revs on the highway....but this could be corrected with a lower ratio diff....as I did.
Indeed and I'm sure you're right that a lower ratio diff would have made all the difference. They've always seemed beautifully balanced to me as well.

I've driven a couple of the 3 speed autos, they do indeed work well as a package. My loose plan, that may or may never happen is to low boost turbo a 505 auto. I think that'd be the ultimate touring car.

I'll share my lack of knowledge here, the 3 speed in the white car, would that swap into the blue car?

So....a 3-speed auto from the white 1984 505 GTI, which is a series 1.

Going into a 1988 505 GTI.

I'm guessing that is a series 2 ?

Can Graham Wallis or someone knowledgeable please comment ?

So....a 3-speed auto from the white 1984 505 GTI, which is a series 1.

Going into a 1988 505 GTI.

I'm guessing that is a series 2 ?

Can Graham Wallis or someone knowledgeable please comment ?
Looking at the pics the blue car most definitely a series 2.

Yes, I think you're right, peuter, or at least that's what someone with real experience told me. As I understood him, the three speed box is longer than the four-speed and hence the torque tube needs to be shorter. I got the impression it's not an insuperable problem to put a three speed box into a Series 2.

Hi everyone,

Just to clarify, I'm not looking to make much money out of selling these two. What would be nice is to think of them going to a good home with someone who can treat them right.:)

How much is kind of secondary and given where I live, I'm happy to take account of transport costs in working out the right deal.

So don't hesitate to get in touch with thoughts or suggestions, either here or by calling 0400 138 599.

Ingolf

Beano,
Thanks for welcoming me back.
You mentioned correcting the high revs on the highway being corrected by a lower ratio diff ?
By "lower" ratio you would mean a lower number of teeth in the crown wheel, giving a higher ratio/speed ?
Cast your mind back to your cycling days.:D

Erm, yes. It all depends on whether we are talking mathematically or mechanically, doesn't it ?

Mathematically, 1 : 3.7 is a lower ratio than 1 : 4.11, isn't it ?

Perhaps I should have said "a high ratio on the highway", when referring to the original diff ?

I plead poor math skills....I got to uni (only just) on the strength of being best in my class at French, but flunked grade 12 maths,,,badly. It's a family weakness...my mother was the same.