Tool Talk

I don't mislay car tools, as I count them back.

What disappears, sometimes for years and even forever, are hammers, chisels, screwdrivers, garden implements - anything needed for household stuff. My ability to make these vanish is supernatural.
Now we know your superhero power.

I don't lose tools either, but I have a habit of leaving them in a car or near a bike I've been working on, "just until" I get back to finish the job.
In the meantime I'll need the tools elsewhere and then can't remember where I last had them.🤦‍♂️

I fixed that problem, now I have 20 of everything.👍👍

I don't lose tools either, but I have a habit of leaving them in a car or near a bike I've been working on, "just until" I get back to finish the job.
In the meantime I'll need the tools elsewhere and then can't remember where I last had them.🤦‍♂️

does that really fix it ..... I reckon it wouldn't be long before I needed 25 of everything ................

I can see there being a problem when car/bike #21 is added to the collection :D

here's an ancient Aussie ready for service...

Advance.JPG

after much messin' about it's back on the bench - all heavy Aussie hardwood, could end up valuable, the bench, that is, when the hardwood harvesting bans come into force next year...

Lathe is probably late 40's, damn near as old as me but not quite as worn...
this one is an early model, but has the micrometer dial refinements of the later version, numbered"AK217"

Bob

here's an ancient Aussie ready for service...

View attachment 232700

after much messin' about it's back on the bench - all heavy Aussie hardwood, could end up valuable, the bench, that is, when the hardwood harvesting bans come into force next year...

Lathe is probably late 40's, damn near as old as me but not quite as worn...
this one is an early model, but has the micrometer dial refinements of the later version, numbered"AK217"

Bob
that is awesome .... did you get any chucks or tooling with it ?

3 & 4 jaw, face-plate, set of change-gears, Jacobs for the tail-stock, odds 'n sods.... :) Selection of cutting bits, mostly a tad small for this model but certainly usable. Good piece of kit :)
Old electric motor was knackered, new ones from our friends in China are a good price. Probably too good, I sent back the first motor to Conon !
Bob

you don't have to be nuts.... but it helps.

I just agreed to buy an old italian saw that doesn't run for $50.... apparently working, then wouldn't re-start the following day. A quick google check shows coils cause problems and are hard to find.

om1.jpg

om2.jpg

I figure for $50 its worth a try. Who knows, it may just need fuel lines like the other saws here did. if it works I'll chase up a big bar for it at some point.

Its probably going to be to big and heavy to use .... but hey, we need toys right ?

Attachments

• om4.jpg
    om4.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 31
  • om3.jpg
    om3.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 27
Is that a 20 inch bar on it now? Should handle a 25 inch, maybe even 30, but 25 ought to be enough for you. I bought a 36 inch bar and chain for my Stihl 076 but so far the 25 inch has done everything I have needed.

Is it set up for 3/8" or .404" chain pitch? You need to ensure bar, chain and sprocket are all the same pitch.

Roger

Is that a 20 inch bar on it now? Should handle a 25 inch, maybe even 30, but 25 ought to be enough for you. I bought a 36 inch bar and chain for my Stihl 076 but so far the 25 inch has done everything I have needed.

Is it set up for 3/8" or .404" chain pitch? You need to ensure bar, chain and sprocket are all the same pitch.

Roger
yeah, we'll see if it works first. it doesn't look like its done a million hours work in the piccies. so we'll see. for $50 its worth the risk. You can't buy much in the way of 80cc saws for that sort of money :) google seems to think they were sold with 16 -> 32" bars. I reckon it would need to be a very soft american wood to run a 32" bar on. the fb advert says its a 15" bar on it. but it won't be, I don't think 15" is even a size available.

Just to be a smartarse, I counted the links in the chain photo, 70 links. This seems to be standard for a 20" bar, but I guess it depends on the manufacturer.

Just to be a smartarse, I counted the links in the chain photo, 70 links. This seems to be standard for a 20" bar, but I guess it depends on the manufacturer.
Man your keen :ROFLMAO: .... I was just going to run a ruler over it tomorrow after I pick it up .... Will it go straight onto the junk pile is the question. All I want is compression when I pull the string, anything else can be fixed without to much expense :)

Good thinking!

However, my understanding is for a 20 inch bar and 3/8 chain 72 drive links is usual, and for .404 chain it is 66 or 68.

Roger

Mr Fordman,
We read about the races with interest, but a review of your "Eastern States" road trip would also be interesting, if you have the time. It's a drive I won't ever repeat in the other direction.