Tool Talk

Almost bought a flame thrower at a garage sale about 4 years ago. Might’ve been just the thing for de-weeding.
I have an lpg torch here ... hopelessly slow if you have any sort of quantity of ground to cover. 5 seconds per weed/strand of grass will take you all of eternity

SWMBO has been using hot water for weeds with good effect for years - left over water in the urn etc. This site has a good comparison table...
they don't seem to like left over turps from brush cleaning either....
Bob

Last edited:
I've found that household bleach gives most weeds a bit of a hurry up. But long term use might upset the PH balance of the soil I'm guessing.

that's interesting.... I'll have to google that one. I hate poisons, but can't find a usable altnerative.
I have been using ammonium sulfamate ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_sulfamate ) for weed killing. I found glyphosate was causing regular spitting and lip-licking to rid my mouth of the taste. Not a good thing if caused by a known carcinogenic.

Ammonium sulfamate (sulphamate) is easily mixed with water. I add a dash of penetrant to lower the surface tension of the water. This allows the salts to be absorbed into the cells of the weeds more effectively.
It works faster on some weeds than on others. Blackberry reacts very quickly. Thistles too. Some broadleafs are slower. Results are sometimes not as obvious as with glyphosate but the sulphamate has advantages.
It will not rise up and drift in hot sunny weather after application. Small accidental drift will not have the deep systemic effect that just a touch of glyphosate has. Nearby plants will not be accidentally killed as easily. It does not make me want to spit while using it..

It is an aggressive salt that will cause rusting/corrosion. Metal spray wands and nozzles will need a clean wash after use.
I buy it in 25kg bags. It is more expensive than glyphosate and not as effective on some things, but I am sure it is better for my health.

I have read a description of its action. The plant takes it in as if it was a sulphate but instead of feeding the plant it blocks the nutrient pathway.
It is not a very scientific explanation but it seems to be kind of what happens.
The ammonium sulfamate breaks down and provides nitrogen to the soil, so it decomposes without any long-lasting residual effect.

Ammonium Sulphamate looks like a good tip for we greenies. Shall investigate.

In a similar vein: If one has a stump which is too hard or inconveniently situated to pull out and which is continuing to grow/sucker a good trick is to drill miltiple holes and put in MgSO4 ( Epsom salts ) crystals. THese kill it pretty reliably and it can then be left to rot in peace or be pulled out later.

CAn do a similar trick with Glyphosate ( we use this one for exterminating Sycamores and Cestrum in SHerbrooke ) BUT a) Glyphosate nasty for user and probably environment and b) Glyphosate works best if tree still metabolising, so it is best to leave a good few branches/leaves ( with attendant risk of seeding if at wrong time of year) for it to work best

Learn something new almost every day on this forum :)

ANdrew

I want one of those high pressure hot water weed killers that @bob linked. I have been known to walk around the back yard with a kettle of hot water and I like the idea of not adding any chemicals.

I want one of those high pressure hot water weed killers that @bob linked. I have been known to walk around the back yard with a kettle of hot water and I like the idea of not adding any chemicals.

I don't think they exist on the domestic market do they? They would be very expensive commercial type setups.

yard.jpg

think weed control ... a couple of hundred sqm of pavers, gravel, gardens .... and acerage. A kettle of boiling water does work.... we'd need a commercial setup though :) The only way I've found that is possible is glyphosate. I'd be wearing a painters respirator to spray it, no matter how "safe" it is deemed.

I did spot a domestic model listed on amazon as out of stock. 🙄
@DoubleChevron, you should try test patches to compare Ammonium Sulphamate and MgSO4 Epsom salt crystals as suggested above. These options are less toxic than glyphosate.
I only use glyphosate in special circumstances with a sponge applicator bottle (provided by Yarra Ranges Shire for the purpose). It looks like one of those liquid shoe polish bottles. Very convenient for slipping in my pocket to dab on sycamores in the national park. 😉

Had you thought about the army disposals?
I can see two advantages here.
1- 30 seconds, job done.
2- You will still be known as that nutty old guy at the end of the of the street.
Win, win.🤷‍♂️

About the hot water weed sprayer bob linked to;
Hot water must use quite a few resources heating the volume of water and using so much water.

If a regulated supply of water was fed through a heating coil at the correct rate a steady jet of steam could be created. At an expansion of about 50:1 steam would have a self generated jet effect which would speed up saturation of the weed. The heat of steam would be higher than any liquid water.

Double Chevron and Greenpeace probably have the basics in their sheds.
A suitable size old gas cylinder big enough for the quantity of water plus quite a bit of air space that can hold some pressure, a regulator some piping and a wound coil of copper tube, a propane cylinder, and a pressure relief valve to fit in there somewhere near the heating coil.

Then it would require some testing for best tank pressure, water flow, heat of flame, and the control system.

@Andrew Epsom salts will be easier to handle than the sulfamate. Less intense on the skin for one.

@ shibuichi I too would like to manage weed problems without dumping chemicals everywhere. It is not easy finding a method for larger areas.

I did spot a domestic model listed on amazon as out of stock. 🙄
@DoubleChevron, you should try test patches to compare Ammonium Sulphamate and MgSO4 Epsom salt crystals as suggested above. These options are less toxic than glyphosate.
I only use glyphosate in special circumstances with a sponge applicator bottle (provided by Yarra Ranges Shire for the purpose). It looks like one of those liquid shoe polish bottles. Very convenient for slipping in my pocket to dab on sycamores in the national park. 😉
There is a group of crazed hairy old men and one or two women who meet every Tuesday morning ( weather permitting ) to destroy Sycos, Cestrum , Hemlock etc in the National Park if you are interested

It is a good activity and I‘ve learned lots. They are good blokes and very knowledgeable, some seriously so

They are a subsection of Friends of Sherbrooke. PM me if interested

Best WIshes

Andrew

There is a group of crazed hairy old men and one or two women who meet every Tuesday morning ( weather permitting ) to destroy Sycos, Cestrum , Hemlock etc in the National Park if you are interested

It is a good activity and I‘ve learned lots. They are good blokes and very knowledgeable, some seriously so

They are a subsection of Friends of Sherbrooke. PM me if interested

Best WIshes

Andrew
🤔 I have a scheduling conflict but I’ll keep your invitation in mind. It’s been a long time since I last went out with Vivien and the Friends.

Ammonium Sulphamate looks like a good tip for we greenies. Shall investigate.

In a similar vein: If one has a stump which is too hard or inconveniently situated to pull out and which is continuing to grow/sucker a good trick is to drill miltiple holes and put in MgSO4 ( Epsom salts ) crystals. THese kill it pretty reliably and it can then be left to rot in peace or be pulled out later.

CAn do a similar trick with Glyphosate ( we use this one for exterminating Sycamores and Cestrum in SHerbrooke ) BUT a) Glyphosate nasty for user and probably environment and b) Glyphosate works best if tree still metabolising, so it is best to leave a good few branches/leaves ( with attendant risk of seeding if at wrong time of year) for it to work best

Learn something new almost every day on this forum :)

ANdrew
On further reading another overlapping value of Ammonium Sulphamate is as a compost enhancer/accelerator, which could certainly be useful up here

Andrew

Its not about capacity.... I need far less for allergies. Its the ability to cover your eyes as well with a full mask. I sprayed about 20litres of weed killer yesterday too... so I'm thinking something that protects the eyes and lungs is good too :)
With weed killer, some of this is about the spray dispersion set-up as well.

In a past life, I used to work for a commercial pest control company (not as an operator) and the idea was to ensure larger drops with no atomisation which can drift and can get into your lungs as you say.
Atomisation in this setting is usually considered as wasted product as well as a loss of control over dispersion and everything that entails - unwanted overspray etc. Operators can sometimes get a bit nerdy about this.

But these guys were spraying insecticides all day every day in public areas where you also have to consider the average punter passing by. Of course, the fact that owners of restaurants & hotels favoured the use of odourless insecticides didn't actually help the safety issue because there was no 'odorous warning' for said average punter.

They were also very conscious of toxicity issues because some chemicals have cumulative effects. I remember we had to move one guy for about six months to a different job because he tested too high for whatever we were using at our fumigation depot at the time. There were strict OH&S regulations & testing for all this as might be expected in an industrial setting.

For the average home gamer like me, I just follow the instructions but that air fed mask idea looks good if it has the appropriate filter canisters.

I just noticed the ALDI catalogue this weeks has one of those small hand held "pruner" chainsaws if anyone is still after them :)

Also have a portable air compressor that can run on 12v or 240v but I think it has a cigarette lighter plug rather battery clamps.

I just noticed the ALDI catalogue this weeks has one of those small hand held "pruner" chainsaws if anyone is still after them :)
I have the larger Aldi pole chainsaw but my balance while working overhead is a bit wonky. The chainsaw works really well, so I guess that small pruner chainsaw might be easier to use. Also for anyone wanting a small countertop induction cooking top, Aldi has their Ambiano brand induction cooktop on sale for $49 with a three year warranty. I have had an earlier version in use for longer than that as I wait to source a permanent larger induction cooktop that will nicely fit the existing cut out where the old electric Westinghouse cooktop used to reside and more importantly is approved by the real boss of the kitchen. ;) !

The portable countertop version has been excellent and took quite a bit of pressure off her need to make an immediate decision, as initially she wanted a gas top cooker, but that seems a doomed process given the attitude of a state government to gas appliance use. The small induction cooktop would be fine for use in a holiday home or even in the workshop for some....(y) boils and cooks quickly and Aldi has a good range of reasonable price induction base cooking vessels. Worth having a look at.

Ken

Also have a portable air compressor that can run on 12v or 240v but I think it has a cigarette lighter plug rather battery clamps.
I purchased one of the ozito pxc battery compressors .... its brilliant. I use it consantly. You just set the pressure and walk away and it stops itself. It doesn't seem to get red hot and can inflate a very flat'ish car tyre without burning out. Generally every couple of weeks I just walk around the cars in the house and top up everything. No wires, no dragging air lines ... no moving everything within reach of the compressor etc... You can take it anywhere with you and blow tyres of cars in paddocks etc....

Is that Bunnings or Supercheap? I know I’ve seen the Ozito brand, just not sure where.

Is that Bunnings or Supercheap? I know I’ve seen the Ozito brand, just not sure where.
once you have the batteries ... these tools are like drugs.... there so many skins you can buy

check this out .... they now have a compressor (rather than inflater) as well :eek: .... 36volts so two batteries

Reactions: bob