Tool Talk

Mr Fordman,
We read about the races with interest, but a review of your "Eastern States" road trip would also be interesting, if you have the time. It's a drive I won't ever repeat in the other direction.
Yes, fully intend to do that, been a bit busy since return. It was a great trip and I guess quite a few would be interested in the logistics and general "adventure". It will happen soon. Thanks.

this would have to be a pretty good buy for anyone after a usable chainsaw..... way better than new chinese junk!

Shindies are well made. They come from a factory in a small town in the mountains near Hiroshima, and are nearly all Japanese components. The exception usually is a US carburettor. Unused, that is a bargain. A shame it's in Victoria or I'd get it.

The same Japanese company also manufactures its designs in China, under the brand Echo. The retail price is correspondingly lower. They were once separate brands, but have merged.

this would have to be a pretty good buy for anyone after a usable chainsaw..... way better than new chinese junk!

I wouldn't say un-used. but it looks to be the original bar with paint still on it ..... so lightly used is my guess :)

Well that didn't look dodgy at all .... I met the women selling the chainsaw at the supermarket in town to pick it up .... on the busiest day of the year (no carparks anywhere). Her barely carrying the big saw didn't look even slightly untoward upto to the front of the supermarket. Me carrrying it through the completely full carpark.... er, not everyone stared at me looking slightly freaked out :ROFLMAO:

20231223_115719.jpg

Here is some perspective. Lots of compression, I hope its got a decompressor button on it somewhere. I'll have a good look later. the "lots" of compression was all I wanted to see. There is two bars there, one looks to be about 16", the one on it is either 20" or 22" (depending on how you measure them). 20" usable seems right to me.

And for the suprise of the century .... No spark :) Who would have guessed ....

20231223_150904.jpg

super easy to work on... a few screws to remove the covers ... and the coil is staring you in the face. I did try unplugging the switch... and moving the terminal down to the bottom of the HT lead (so verify no breaks in the lead). There is resistance there, which probably should mean spark? I wonder if there is a set of points that need cleaning under that flywheel .... hmmmmm....

Attachments

• 20231223_152211.jpg
    20231223_152211.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20231223_152155.jpg
    20231223_152155.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20231223_152201.jpg
    20231223_152201.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 36
gee's .... maybe I'm better off not getting that saw working .... looks like a beast of a thing

it might be safer as a wall ornament ... :eek:

20231226_181815.jpg

my sister inlaw just gave me this for christmas. Somehow my brother inlaw purchased this by accident earlier this year and they wouldn't let him return it. I can only assume he thought it was a compressor ?? I guess I'll get a battery converter so I can plug an ozito battery onto it and see how good the vacuum is it can draw down.

I guess the only market for something like this would be machinary workers, it allows them to vacuum down machinary onsite (eg: tractors) where there is no power available

I also manged to grab these today.

ratchet_spanners.jpeg

I've never owned any ratchet spanners before, so when I spotted sydney tools had these for $69 ( down from $220 ) I figured it was time to try a set. Fingers crossed they aren't junk! They have very good range of sizes, not skipping over 12, 15, 16 and 18mm like most sets do.

They look like a set I had a while ago. You tightened on one side and turned them over to loosen. Unfortunately the mechanisms broke if the torque was too high. I changed them for a set that had an external ratchet that worked on cogs which are much more successful. You reverse them by flipping the ratchet over.

They look like a set I had a while ago. You tightened on one side and turned them over to loosen. Unfortunately the mechanisms broke if the torque was too high. I changed them for a set that had an external ratchet that worked on cogs which are much more successful. You reverse them by flipping the ratchet over.
I didn't think you were supposed to do the final tightening/initial loosening with a ratchet spanner?

Has anyone here tried one of the vevor ultrasonic cleaners? I'm thinking about getting a 15litre one. It should be big enough to fit DS brake calipers and carbies into 🤔

BTW: repco are 25% off today. and it doesn't exclude oils and chemicals like it often does. you won't find loctite/permatix products cheaper than that ... 515/aenorobic sealant is always worth grabbing :)

Now this is interesting, that cheap coil turned up today.

20231229_112748.jpg

I found when I mounted the coil, it lined up perfectly to the holes and screwed on .... however the gap to the flywheel was 5mm+ (not 0.35mm).... Ummm.....

20231229_112940.jpg

20231229_112748.jpg

I opened up the mounting holes so I could set the gap. and we have lots of spark (Yay) .... but no fire. Infact no sign of firing, even removing the spark plug and dribbling fuel down there gets nothing.... I'd expect something, even if its just a backfire ... hmmmmmm

So I marked where the coil is sitting with a white paint texta ... The coil may have shifted the timing. Why no signs of something though ?

20231229_113120.jpg

Then refitted the original coil. Hmm... out, but surely we still get backfires or something. The spark is good.

20231229_113706.jpg

So I marked with a black texta where the dead coil sits....

20231229_114313.jpg

This is where the new coil needs to be located. Do I need to trim the bits of the coil in black away? I'm thinking this space between the two coil pickups is the equivalent of a points gap, so it probably doesn't matter.

20231229_120247.jpg

Anyway, this pretty close. Its a good strong spark (I guess its possible it doesn't spark under compression, this can't be tested though). Stil no sign at all of firing. No backfires, nothing.

I'm thinking I'm looking in the wrong spot, we have spark, petrol for sure (if I dribble it into the sparkplug hole) and crazy amounts of compression.

Is it possible the reeds are stuck open so we are just blowing the fuel mixture straight back out the carby and exhaust when I'm pulling the string ?

seeya
Shane L.