Tool Talk

If you are in the ballarat area .... head for this place.

heaps and heaps ... endless old tools.View attachment 216142

I scored a big quick release dawn vice for $90

View attachment 216143

and another chainsaw I don't need for $10. It has so much compression I thought it was seized until I held it tight enough to manage to pull the string. It still has the paint on the original bar if you look
I couldn't help myself, I just dribbled some fuel into the carby of that chainsaw. It is really difficult to start without throwing the saw at your face by accident. It needs a decompressor (if this is what the promac 650 is supposed to be like .... that thing is way down on compression). Anyway, a dribble of fuel into its carby, stand on the bloody thing so it stays put for you to pull the string and it started first pull of the string. No doubt it will also need fuel lines.

20230129_142625.jpg

I've got other stuff here to needs to be done, so I definately shouldn't be wasting time tinkering with another toy saw..... :rolleyes:

20230129_143821.jpg

Just look at the inside of this thing. its basically unused. there isn't even wood or oil through it.

20230129_142640.jpg

The carby diaphragm is just crispy. even the fuel line is soft and pliable (never been hot ?).

20230129_143230.jpg

20230129_143225.jpg

oh well, onto fleabay again to find another carby kit.

20230129_142934.jpg

cos nothing in my "leftovers" tin fits.

20230129_210534.jpg

This is just bloody amazing! I can't believe I was lucky enough to get this vice. I've been needing a decent vice for years.

20230129_210628.jpg

I've had this vice for quite a few years. I think I paid $150 for it (which was really cheap at the time ... and still is). However it had no jaws. When I grabbed it I didn't think that was a problem. Have you ever priced jaws for a vice :eek: :eek: :eek: It was going to be well over a $100 for a set of jaws. So obviously I've just used it for years with no jaws in (which is actually often really helpful, as what your trying to hold, gets locked into the cutouts).

20230129_210620.jpg

Its also a 5" vice ... but its HUGE (not to mention incredibly heavy). Now to find somewhere strong enough to mount it..... :unsure:

Those Dawn quick release vices are much heavier than the standard ones! The base on them is huge. I have a 4 1/4 SQ that belonged to my great uncle.

Roger

Once you properly mount the quick release vice, on a solid bench. Mount one of those small vices bolted to a block of wood 2 x 2" and as long as the quick release jaws. Makes it easy to use the quick release to mount the smaller vice to do smaller finer work. I have done this for years and most of the time never use the big vice unless I have a much larger job (heavy pipework for instance) to hold securely.

Ken

Now to find somewhere strong enough to mount it
My last effort with a proper 40mm+ hardwood top came out at $300+ for the damn timber !! and that was only 750 wide x1500 long.

Go for a couple of bits of flat plate about 1/2" thick each end of a bit of 3" or 4" galv pipe cut to the height you want to work at. Bolt it to the concrete floor and you can work all around the vice with no bench to hinder position. Cast about for the steel and it will all come out as cheap as chips.

Bob

the best bet for mounting a bench vice would have to be a welding table! Those things are expensive though .... and you would probably need a forklift to even move a small one around :)

I have my 6" Record vice mounted to a wooden bench. This is a pretty solid wooden bench made from 5" x 2" hardwood which came from a old demolished house. The vice is held down by three coach screws. it has been there for about 38 years.
20230130_094812.jpg

I have 3 welding tables and could do you a cheap deal on one

I have my 6" Record vice mounted to a wooden bench. This is a pretty solid wooden bench made from 5" x 2" hardwood which came from a old demolished house. The vice is held down by three coach screws. it has been there for about 38 years.
View attachment 216191

the weight of a 6" vice is probably enough in itself. Did you add the uprights under it to help hold it up :)

Roger I'll probably be down your way a bit over the next month or so. Sophie is heading down to the monash uni in warnanbool this year. I'll need to catch up with you to buy an id19 motor as well.

View attachment 216191
the weight of a 6" vice is probably enough in itself. Did you add the uprights under it to help hold it up :)
The Vice is mounted over the top of the leg for the bench. There is also a support that goes from the leg to the wall behind the bench which is also a 5" x 2" hardwood

I'm wondering if anyone here knows how common Torx head fixtures are these days. I know some French cars used them (my Peugeot 505 had trans oil filter nubolts with Torx head), but apart from French cars, are they used much ? I just saw a secondhand set fixed into 3/8 drive sockets.

I'm wondering if anyone here knows how common Torx head fixtures are these days. I know some French cars used them (my Peugeot 505 had trans oil filter nubolts with Torx head), but apart from French cars, are they used much ? I just saw a secondhand set fixed into 3/8 drive sockets.
They are also used in power tools. I think they are very common in Europe. If they are at a bargain price I would get them.

i'm finding them everywhere lately. grab any torx tools if you can. Etorx I've only stumbled across a couple of times.

see my previous comment on these little mongrels.... variation branded "IP" is used on the Kangoo van - you can undo them with a standard Torx bit but they wont tighten back in the hole, the "IP" is a tad bigger it seems.

Bob

Torx makes a lot of sense in the factory. It does not cam out, ie the tool doesn't slip off. They can be torqued higher than others. Manufacturers use drive tools with preset torque and get the screws in undamaged.

We are going to more of these and they'll have to be in a standard tool set.

the gearbox fill/level plug in my old land rover is even torx. why not just use a square plug like everywhere else ? ... Torx is excellent, I'd prefer it to most other standards as it doesn't tend to round out.

Because it was put in the first time with an automated preset-torque tool. It makes sense, you don't want it to leak after filling or be damaged when torqued up.

New Cit diesels use a thin headed hex sump plug. They are an invitation to deform - one keeps safe with a 6 point hex socket.

Becoming very common. Both my Renault's and the Subaru have them, and I recently did a cam belt on an Astra, also mostly Torx.
Having first come across Torx on MB head bolts in the 1970s, I was surprised to find quite recently the addition of the label E-Torx. I think this has occurred to differentiate between "male" and "female" versions, which have both been around for years. From what I can make out, the E-Torx socket is female to fit a Torx bolt head, where a Torx socket is a male "Allen key" type to fit a recessed head bolt.
Through necessity, I have ended up with several sets to cover the possibilities. Eg, a 1/4" drive set containing both Torx and E-Torx, a 3/8" drive set E-Torx, a 3/8" drive set Torx keys, and more recently small sets of 1/2" drives in both types for the larger sizes.
I must admit they can take a bit of torque, and I think one reason they are used is they can make a very compact bolt head (compared to a hex head) with better torque and grip than an Allen key.