Tool Talk

a devious fault....

G'day,

a few years ago I picked up a pack of 10 x 2" #2 Philips hex drivers, Trojan brand, that went into 'stock'. Diving into the box a few days ago and damn things wont enter any driving socket here, the calipers tell me that they measure 6.4mm, all good.... :confused:

hexbit.jpg

then it dawned on me, check out the socket end. Whatever they have used to finish the end chamfer has been so blunt that it has rolled a small portion of the chamfer over onto the hex section, just enough to put the extreme end oversize.

Luckily, the end is not hardened, a few strokes with a sharp file and it's fixed - I wonder how many of these guys went into the bin..... damn poor quality control....

Trojan, just another brand name living on it's past glories.... :disappr:

cheers,
Bob

Correct, it was constructed by the Greeks, as a 'present' for the Trojans, thus the saying "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts"...

The Iliad also gave us working like a Trojan, which this mob have ignored.

Nostalgia..the innocent good old days, if you are not too old to remember..

Good to hear that yours worked hard

A

Yeh, I do have a very clear recollection of one of the kids finding a dropped packet of rubbers and then the fun filling them with water at the Central School/ Camp Hill playground taps, amazing how much water they held in those long balloons before they burst. Just boys being boys of course...

The whisper among the "in the know" kids was that the local barber was the place to buy Trojans, as most Bendigo Chemists were of a certain religion that didn't approve of such things..

Then along came the pill … and in between it was pot luck and no AIDS fears in those days , the lucky generation..

I guess your generation was just liberated...

Ken:D

But why woukl you convert one? Surely anyone who uses this sort of machinery already has 3 phases.

Hobbyist in suburbia may not not have 3 phase. Last time I asked some years ago was told 3 phase was $1000 job.

I've had three phases for 50 odd years. Perhaps you can give your stuff to me.

I don't remember paying extra - the sparky just told them the load requirement. Three phase connections are common around here,. Out the twelve houses in the immediate locality, five use the three phases (two old, three newish). One more has a connection only to his service pole..

I don't remember paying extra - the sparky just told them the load requirement. Three phase connections are common around here,. Out the twelve houses in the immediate locality, five use the three phases (two old, three newish). One more has a connection only to his service pole..

Have you got the load requirement ?
Ie multiple Heat banks, big cookers or air-conditioning . Not much in domestic premises usually needs three phase these days except large air conditioning plants.

I bought my place turn key from a developer. The extra for 3 phase was retro fit. There would be very few around here with 3 phase except my next door neighbour, but he has huge house, ducted air-con, pool and a sauna. I bought the cheapest house in the street:roflmao:. This is the third house I have owned, none had 3 phase, neither did my parents home.

I bought my place turn key from a developer. The extra for 3 phase was retro fit. There would be very few around here with 3 phase except my next door neighbour, but he has huge house, ducted air-con, pool and a sauna. I bought the cheapest house in the street:roflmao:

We need three phase to run a 19Kw air conditioner

The supply authority charged us for the two extra cables into the switchboard from the street and the 3 phase fuse box.

The electricians charged us for the upgrade cost to 3 phase main switch.

All up the extra setup fee was around $200. (aircon sub-circuit wiring was on top of that.)

However need to have the load requirement (with our Electricity supplier anyway)

75 percent of modern houses in our area are single phase supply.

Baring a few 1940s and 1950s house with two phase supply :eek:

Last edited:
We need three phase to run a 19Kw air conditioner

The supply authority charged us for the two extra cables into the switchboard from the street and the 3 phase fuse box.

The electricians charged us for the upgrade cost to 3 phase main switch.

All up the extra setup fee was around $200. (aircon sub-circuit wiring was on top of that.)

However need to have the load requirement (with our Electricity supplier anyway)

75 percent of modern houses in our area are single phase supply.

Baring a few 1940s and 1950s house with two phase supply :eek:

I run 12/14 kw airconditioning (memory fade). We got away with a single phase because we used Daikin. WE were told it was the only single phase aircon of that rating available at the time. My reason for choosing was noise, or lack thereof with Daikin. We live in small block development so did what I could to avoid neighbourhood issues.

I didn't have a choice we have-add on cooling for a gas brivis ducted furnace.

Have to say the system works well and is economical on gas and electricity. Especially with the Solar system exporting. :wink2: