Those weird old citroens

Not only a stash of Slough wheel envelopers but these part numbers as well. Bob, you must be unique !
Luckily I have a pretty good range of early D manuals...... thanks Roger for filling the gaps.

Also luckily, I've worked in a wide range of engineering fields. Definitely master of none, but a reasonable background in many.

Also luckily, I have a pretty good memory.

Also luckily, I never throw anything away! ..... well maybe I do throw away dead light globes. (But that's all!)

Also, maybe unluckily?, there isn't a part in an early D that I haven't seen, handled, repaired or replaced.

Also unluckily, I'm a messy bugger, so the accumulated stuff is not organised alphabetically.
It's organised chronologically, ie.the longer I've had it, the deeper down it is. I understand stratigraphy, and practise it on any horizontal surface.
17042737923088171009515790918251.jpg

Obviously a man of diverse interests and, I suspect a passion for crystallized ginger in the sweets jar.

The wallet is my phone case, also a few cards (but the accounts are empty) Bunnings powerpass, DL and my treasured antique 5" slide rule.
Usually about $15 in cash.

Yes, always some ginger in the jar!

Just have several accounts with debit cards attached. You quickly know what ordinary shopping or car expenses or house maintenance are. I have done this for years.

Wonderful piece of work Shane, will be very helpful for potential buyers of Citroen's with hydraulics. I have my 1976 CX 2000 break for sale sinds October last year, lots of tyre kickers but no one serious as yet. Had a couple from Hobart but they reckon it is to expensive to buy....and in the meantime I am very reluctant to sell it. She pulls my golf cart very well!
Where are the photos of the Break? Not a buyer just an ogler.

Wonderful piece of work Shane, will be very helpful for potential buyers of Citroen's with hydraulics. I have my 1976 CX 2000 break for sale sinds October last year, lots of tyre kickers but no one serious as yet. Had a couple from Hobart but they reckon it is to expensive to buy....and in the meantime I am very reluctant to sell it. She pulls my golf cart very well!
Where are photos of the Break? Not a buyer just an ogler.

Lets talk brakes ....

All those parts you see.... Looks incredibly complex right? Complex no doubt to design.... look how simple it is in operation. Each time the handbrake is pulled on .... it attempts to ratchet over the mechanism to take up the slack as the brake pads wear.

Grease ... you think "lubricate it so it doesn't stick". If you grease it ... it'll bind up when the grease dries out and attracts dirt/dust. I still couldn't help myself though, so I have coated everything in a fine layer of permatex silver anti-seize. It should dry out and not attract dust/dirt 🤞

20240121_145752.jpg
anyway, I'm sure I have a couple of these around somewhere .... In a safe place no doubt :blackeye: Find your cheapest/crappiest 10mm and grind it down until its to thin to ever be used again.

20240121_145827.jpg

that skinny little nut at the back, that is what locks the bolt down. down tighten the bolt itself or it'll grab the pivot and stop the mechanism rolling over.

20240121_151447.jpg

I might have to start pulling apart one of the parts cars to scavenge some more line seals. Red is helpful as I know this is definately brake fluid. earlier ones have no marking ..... so .... bugger if I can be sure if they are LHM or brake fluid unless they are still fitted to the car.

20240121_151803.jpg

I've been freeing up the pipe nuts and wiggling them down the pipes and coating the back with the silicon grease/paste and lubing up the seals with it. Fingers crossed next time the damn things come apart (in the case of the brakes itself, its only helping assembly as its rated only to about 120degrees so be gone as soon as the brakes are hot).

I've been playing with self-adjusting 1960s front brakes myself today, must be the weather for it.🤔
I though I'd better take a picture before I pulled it to bits, it's been a while since I've had one of these apart.

Resized_20240122_202602.jpeg

I've been playing with self-adjusting 1960s front brakes myself today, must be the weather for it.🤔
I though I'd better take a picture before I pulled it to bits, it's been a while since I've had one of these apart.

View attachment 234867
ford with the auto-adjuster isn't it? i've seen these done in those youtube shows lots of times .... there advice is great. pull both drums on one axle .... but only change one side at a time ..... the other side is your template for re-assembly :ROFLMAO: It only works if the last person there put it together right IMO :clown:

The discs are easy .... Now those drum brakes... i've never needed to mess with them. I'm not sure how I'll get the shoes right on the traction ... if it doesn't pull to the side, I'm guessing that'll be close enough :rolleyes:

Last edited:
ford with the auto-adjuster isn't it? i've seen these done in those youtube shows lots of times .... there advice is great. pull both drums on one axle .... but only change one side at a time ..... the other side is your template for re-assembly :ROFLMAO: It only works if the last person there put it together right IMO :clown:
Yes that's the Mustang, SLS is a bit of a letdown, at least the Pommy stuff is usually TLS on the front wheels.

Well .... if anyone hates themselves.... and loves frustration. Pull the top off of one of those early DS 4spd gearboxes ( from '63 -> 66). I've just spend 1 hour having very indepth discussions with it 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 I must say, if you thinking of using loctite 515, it sure does tastes disgusting ... and you'll certainly wipe it all off. Those brass selection shims on the front selector. Yeah that only way to retrieve them is to turn the gearbox upside down .... and shake the shit out of it.

If you are indeed very stupid.... and have pulled the top off. I tried gluing the selector shims on with thick grease. This will reduce but not stop the number of times you have to turn it upside donw. eventually you will work out you need to lift the front of the gearbox up and prop it high so the reverse idler gear stays at the back of the shaft. After plenty of swearing, you'll figure out you need ot engage a gear to get some separation between the reverse idler selector and the rear most selector fork. Then you can wiggle all four selectors down into place. you can't tell if you have them all ... the only way I can see I have it right is all the gears are present and can be selected.

What a bastard of a thing. there is no other way to describe it. Photos ... you think I'm pulling that 😡😡😡🤬🤬🤬 of a thing back off to take photos .... Not on your life!

Not as bad as you think Shane! I have done it many times. Have you tried rebuilding the selector barrel yet? Lots of little balls to try your patience! Yes, grease on the selector pads is essential and so is keeping everything horizontal on the bench to stop gears sliding around. The sliding rods to engage the adjacent gear hub always amused me!

Not as bad as you think Shane! I have done it many times. Have you tried rebuilding the selector barrel yet? Lots of little balls to try your patience! Yes, grease on the selector pads is essential and so is keeping everything horizontal on the bench to stop gears sliding around. The sliding rods to engage the adjacent gear hub always amused me!
Yes, once you have done one .... and realised what is involved. I couldn't imagine how you would do it on the car.... you would be almost certain to drop the brass shims .... you would have no way to extract them (obviously a magnet will not work).

This so much fun ... So I pulled the motor out of this blue car a few years ago and found the broken crankshaft.... Then a couple of years ago I pulled the motor from a parts car to check it (worn out junk). Then last year I pulled this motor from the parts car from geelong (looks to be in excellent health). One would assume with three lots of "everything" .... er, .... "somewhere" ... it would be a breeze to put back together. Guess how long I've spent searching for the pipework between the two brake calipers .... the brake cable between the two calipers .... the gearbox mount ( found painted up ready to fit after I gave in and went and pulled one from another parts car).... There's at least another two there somewhere.

20240128_170954.jpg

Anyway, this is supposed to have locking tabs that bend up and prevent the bolts from coming loose.

20240128_170929.jpg

None of the cars had these bent over ... because they must be single use and break the first time anyone removes them. Well they mustn't come loose. I think I'll put some medium strength loctite on these bolts just incase.

20240128_170913.jpg

Now the brake calipers .... easy right?? Imagine my suprise when I found the top two bolts of the passenger side caliper run in and out fine, but will not tighten at all because the threads are gone .... sigh ....

20240128_170859.jpg

These bolts should be safety wired. I'm guessing they have been loose and stripped the threads out from vibrating around. They have a LOT of thread depth so being stripped is quite weird. So I grabbed a tap and tapped them out to M10 x 1.25 (previously M9 x 1.25). Now a smart person would have checked there bolt collection first ....... Guess who has LOTS of M10 x 1.5 bolts... but next to no M10 x 1.25 bolts :blackeye:

20240128_170944.jpg

We do this because its fun right :dance: :blackeye:

The next person that pulls this car apart is either going to love me for smothering everything with silver anti-seize of copper anti-seize (where its not aluminium) ..... Or hate me because everything they touch makes them silver/copper coloured :ROFLMAO:

seeya
Shane L.

20240204_144320.jpg

Its too hot to do anything in the shed, but the motor is at least bolted in. When I pulled the car apart, I threw away all the chinesium bolts and tech screws as it was coming part.

20240204_144157.jpg

There was tubs of bolts everywhere and I was wasting a lot of time searching for fasteners. There is 3 ID19s worth of fasteners here. The small pile of bolts is ... The M5 x 0.8 bolts that have been removed from them (sigh ...). The big pile of bolts is junk. AF/who knows that was removed. This is after I discarded all the broken, rounded, stripped and obviously "wrong" fasteners when I pulled the cars apart. 🤔

20240204_144131.jpg

if only all cars has this space to swing the engine in/out ... imagine how easy lift would be.

20240204_144246.jpg

I did find these where I cleaned the gearbox down ..... Gee's I hope they weren't camshaft shims that needed to be installed between the motor and bell housing :blackeye:

Last edited: