The 308 GTi 270 - keeping a record here

lowpugV2

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Since this isn't an overly common model I figured I would document my ownership experience and anything I learn along the way. And of course any issues...

To start, I've now had my 2017 pre-facelift 308 GTi 270 for 6 weeks now. Currently sits at 35,000 Kilometres.

I'm still finding out about the thing and learning it's character. Straight off, it's not love at first drive. But it's getting there.

Handling is amazing, the front end is so keyed in and responsive. The chassis tune is too firm for the road though and initial compliance is not soft enough. On the flip side, it feels exciting. It's not unflappable like a German car that then falls apart after 7/10ths. The pug gets better the harder you push it.

Engine is good, again, really too much for the public road to really work hard and enjoy. Has no real sound so there's not much audible fun to be had. The shove from 3000 onwards is impressive though. Will be making some simple mods to improve on the engine sound, but not for power.

For all the reported ergonomic quirks I actually love the driving position, the wheel position and the gearshift, it's all good. Seats are great too.

It's also very practical and is used for 80% of our family driving now.

Issues? Yes.
Currently the right front speakers cut in and out.
Drivers side mirror creaks and groans when folding.
Most concerning is the front left suspension is noisy and crashy over small bumps. I have a feeling there's a bush or maybe strut top failure.
The paint is thin.

There's some warranty left on the car so it'll all get seen to.

Overall though, I look forward to each drive. Plus I'm planning a few basic mods so we'll see where it ends up.

Hi, Ive had a recent GTi270 experience this week that may be of interest. Over the last few weeks Ive had an intermittent engine check light on and off whilst city driving.

My mechanic diagnosed it as a faulty/failing upstream Oxygen sensor. Local Kia/Ford/Pug/Citroen dealer wanted $600.
Obtained one overseas for less than $300 and cleared all the codes to start afresh. Couldnt get one locally as they are on back order.
Turns out its a common part with BMW and made by Bosch. It has a Bosch number on it in the PSA packaging with BMW stamped on the black plastic connector plug.
sensor2.jpg
sensor3.jpg
sensor 1.jpg

Yes, the front sensor is usually a standard Bosch version. The post cat sensor, however, sometimes has a not very common connector and is harder to get. Possibly due to the variance in the length of the loom.

I replaced the front sensor on my DS3 very cheaply in 2020. I bought one (Bosch) from Supercheap for $70. Same part number, same connector, everything as the OEM part fitted. The day I was looking it turned out they were having a 20% off Bosch parts sale :)

Hi, Ive had a recent GTi270 experience this week that may be of interest. Over the last few weeks Ive had an intermittent engine check light on and off whilst city driving.

My mechanic diagnosed it as a faulty/failing upstream Oxygen sensor. Local Kia/Ford/Pug/Citroen dealer wanted $600.
Obtained one overseas for less than $300 and cleared all the codes to start afresh. Couldnt get one locally as they are on back order.
Turns out its a common part with BMW and made by Bosch. It has a Bosch number on it in the PSA packaging with BMW stamped on the black plastic connector plug.
View attachment 208847View attachment 208848View attachment 208849
Good to know, thanks

Love mine too. It's a 2017, MY18, facelift 270. Just done 39.000ks Awesome car indeed and loves to be pushed. A short shifter was my first change. Front rotors are difficult to get but have some 2 piece Forza's on the way (waiting for 4 months now). Tyres were shot due to the roundabouts we have and have changed them last month for some re003's to try. These are pretty noisy and hash but dry weather grip is awesome. I did have a very clear vibration which turned out to be the input shaft and quickly fixed by my mechanics. Other than a stage 1 tune/remap there would not be much more i'd like to do to the car maybe possibly some more noise (from the standard exhaust) as you mention. So following your posts :giggle:

Love mine too. It's a 2017, MY18, facelift 270. Just done 39.000ks Awesome car indeed and loves to be pushed. A short shifter was my first change. Front rotors are difficult to get but have some 2 piece Forza's on the way (waiting for 4 months now). Tyres were shot due to the roundabouts we have and have changed them last month for some re003's to try. These are pretty noisy and hash but dry weather grip is awesome. I did have a very clear vibration which turned out to be the input shaft and quickly fixed by my mechanics. Other than a stage 1 tune/remap there would not be much more i'd like to do to the car maybe possibly some more noise (from the standard exhaust) as you mention. So following your posts :giggle:
Great to hear. I had a bit of a drive on the weekend through some quiet twisty roads that also had an 80 limit so you could actually test the car a little on the tighter sections. Flipping Eck! Even on the pirelli p-zeros that are fitted to the car ( not my choice) the handling is amazing. Unlike VAG cars that tend to be great up to a point, this gets better the harder you push. The chassis really rewards you for your efforts! Was very enjoyable and even on the bumpy sections it was easy to hold a line.... So my earlier statement about being too firm might be misguided.

I'm not planning any power increase, but maybe a remap to have the sport mode throttle map always on without the fake noise. I'm planning to delete the centre muffler and I'm ordering a slightly updated +15% clutch from Sachs. I've had a couple of slips under full boost. I'll order a short shift too.

I'm also still looking at a set of 18" wheels that will fit over the brakes and a set of sticky Michelin ps 4s.

So turns out my front left shock absorber is knocking and basically not functioning. Strut top is looking less than happy too. So, factory struts lasting less than 40,000 Kay's... Peugeot has changed! For what it's worth they are KYB stamped.

Question is, replace with OEM again or go for an alternative? Sachs lists an OEM substitute but it's not specific to the GTi, just the 308 with 1.6t.

Bilsteins B6 is a 3-4 month wait though...

I'm also still looking at a set of 18" wheels that will fit over the brakes and a set of sticky Michelin ps 4s.
I’ve fitted 18” Speedy Carbine wheels but needed to custom machine spacers

Attachments

• 20B01B4B-0E51-48F2-A4D1-75B79B6807B1.jpeg
    20B01B4B-0E51-48F2-A4D1-75B79B6807B1.jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 119
New factory shocks installed. Actually happily surprised by their unit price. Still KYB units. Hopefully they last. The car is transformed though. Much more fluid handling and the ride is composed. When I initially drove the car before buying I put the harshness down to the 19" wheels... Lesson learned but thankfully it wasn't too crazy to repair. And glad they are not magride or other electronic dampers $$.

How much were the Forza rotors compared to genuine? What pads did you go for?

Just ordered Brypar full floating for $2400(discs and hats) as I was getting a shudder in the Forza ones

How much were the Forza rotors compared to genuine? What pads did you go for?
The whole set (discs and hats) came in just a bit above 1500 delivered and pads are Brembo ceramic. Not sure exactly how much oe rotors were but I believe these would come in around 2000 IF they were available. Importing them would add a lot in shipping, gst and duties.

.....snip......
Drivers side mirror creaks and groans when folding.
....snip......

There's some warranty left on the car so it'll all get seen to.

Overall though, I look forward to each drive. Plus I'm planning a few basic mods so we'll see where it ends up.
I have the same creaky mirror on a 2018 Allure - still under warranty. Did you end up getting this replaced under warranty ?

Cheers

Justin

I have the same creaky mirror on a 2018 Allure - still under warranty. Did you end up getting this replaced under warranty ?

Cheers

Justin
Short version - no. I plan to pull it apart and see what I can do myself. They did say it is a warranty repair. That and the cutting out audio system are known failures apparently.

Interesting story about the warranty. The pre-purchase confirmation of the extended factory warranty seems to have vanished once I booked in a warranty service. Peugeot Australia now have no record of this and deny ever having that conversation with me - even though they had made a note of the warranty repair request and sent me to North Shore Peugeot for the repairs. So I'm bugging them with phone calls every week until I sort it out.

I replaced the front shocks with the help of my mechanic at my cost. FYI - Factory replacement struts are $180 a pair and no different to the standard 1.6 THP - I would have thought the GTi variants were 'special' but not according to the part numbers.

Mine is going in for a service on Tuesday. It was going to have been the first time I didn't make a warranty claim - but I'm thinking now I might just mention the creaky mirror as it can't be good long term. I have it in writing my warranty is until Nov '23.

Cheers

Justin

Hi all, i think this is my first post here though for some reason i already had an account, must’ve registered ages ago and forgot.

Anyway i have a 2016 GTi 270, had it for 3 years and coming up for 75,000km, can say it has been utterly faultless, no problems whatsoever other than a couple of times the hifi or touchscreen locked up, i can’t remember which and a battery disconnect fixed it anyway.

i do over 500km a week in it and yes there are some mods i feel are must-do’s

Short-shifter - the standard shift i thought was terrible and not appropriate for a car with a sporty character, i bought an adjustable one (3-position) from Pug1Off, fairly easy to fit and simple to adjust, i went straight for the shortest shift position and drove the car for several months like that, made a huge difference but over time (and with a shoulder injury) realised the effort was too high, it still wasn’t a nice shift so dropped it back to the middle position which is still like 20% shorter than standard and realised this is the sweet spot, much better than standard but not too stiff and clunky.

Rear muffler delete - Yes the car is too quiet! Can’t hear it at all so had the muffler removed and two hotdogs put in, they still come out at the factory points in the rear bar so you would never know. Anyway that pretty much nailed it, the car is just loud enough that you can actually hear it over the fake noise in Sport mode, but not loud enough to be obnoxious. It sounds good and of course with the factory resonator untouched there’s no drone.

Forza front rotors - Greg from Brakes Direct said i nabbed the last set of these so no idea how easy they are to get now, they are lighter than the stock rotors (good), however they do seem to be wearing faster than i would have hoped so maybe they are a little soft, i don’t hammer the brakes everywhere but do give them the occasional good go to keep them clean and reduce glazing, this is using the stock pads too so looks like i’ll have to keep an eye on them

Tyres - i’ve been through one set and decided not to cheap out on replacements so got some PS4S, however i’m not a big fan of the rubber band stretched look of the factory 235s and also thought a little more sidewall wouldn’t hurt for better ride so went up to 245/35s - can recommend this, for a start they look much better on the car, ride is improved a bit (just takes the edge off bumps without negatively affecting handling as far as i can tell) and there’s no rubbing at all. The car is short-geared so it doesn’t effect acceleration as far as i can tell and if anything makes the over-reading speedo a touch more accurate.

Gear knob - This would have to be the most un-ergonomic gear knob in existence, unfortunately due to the way it attaches to the stick i doubt you could replace it with anything generic, it would have to be made specifically. Oh well…

Intake - The stock intake path from the filter is quite ridiculous if you trace it, i mean the turbo and MAF sensor are right there at the front of the engine just begging for a short piece of pipe and cone filter, i saw someone else tried my idea of adapting the TCR cars intake but i guess they found out the hard way that the TCR cars engines are mounted a lot further back so the intake doesn’t fit well on the road cars and needs a fair bit of bastardisation. There are some kits available but for a fraction of the price i bought a piece of silicon hose, a K&N filter and with a bit of repositioning of some engine bay parts i have a really nice setup that is generally unobtrusive until you get on boost a bit and you can hear the turbo and blowoff on gearchanges :)

One question i have, does anyone’s cold-start cycle occasionally seem really aggressive? Like it seems when the outside temp is in a certain range when i start the car it will run in a really aggressive mode for the first minute or so where it’s popping and banging until it gets a bit of heat in and then settles back to a normal idle?

Before anyone asks, yes it did this even before i made any changes to the intake or exhaust. I’m almost wondering if the previous owner put a tune in it, because i find it hard to believe it would be set to do this from the factory…..