The 308 GTi 270 - keeping a record here

Happy to give you my OEM one if you'd like to be able to experiment and have a backup ? I'm in Sydney so can get it to you cheaply/ quickly
Thanks, that is generous. I will take you up on that for sure. There's no great rush though, I'll message you to arrange.

....snip....
Drivers side mirror creaks and groans when folding.
....snip.....

There's some warranty left on the car so it'll all get seen to.

...snip....
Thanks for the tip here.

I've just had both external mirrors replaced on our 308 under warranty. Like you say - a known issue. No more creaky mirrors when they fold now !

Cheers

Justin

Well, I'm now down to 1 frog in the fleet. My much loved 306 XSi went to a new home on Sunday. A really nice young guy buying his first car so I hope it treats him well. Just left with the 270 now. It's obviously a very different car and very much a contemporary version of a GTi... I can't say I won't miss the 306 though.

Took the 306 for a short goodbye drive on Saturday through some national park roads and it really highlights what a great chassis the 306 has. Soft and compliant but with control. The way it compresses through bends and the back end pivots you around. So much fun. Oh well, onwards and upwards.

The new owner may pop up "on here" so make him welcome!

Has anyone else had their red Peugeot sport calipers turn slightly pink and not stay glossy red? The red paint on mine seems to be oxidizing? I don't use wheel cleaner but I have used a diluted all purpose cleaner on the tyres to get rid of the slime the tyre shop applied.

Has anyone else had their red Peugeot sport calipers turn slightly pink and not stay glossy red? The red paint on mine seems to be oxidizing? I don't use wheel cleaner but I have used a diluted all purpose cleaner on the tyres to get rid of the slime the tyre shop applied.
Similar brake setup on our 208 GTI 30th and yes the red PS calipers do seem to be changing colour in the same way you describe

Nope, mine are still bright factory red though I am getting some darker marks on them. Have yours been repainted ?

Nope, mine are still bright factory red though I am getting some darker marks on them. Have yours been repainted ?
I don't think so, the white Peugeot sport lettering is there.

First biggish road trip in the car. Sydney to Tilba , staying in the area for a week with the family. Car packed full! But it takes a surprising amount, really impressed.

Quite happy with the car, easy to spend 4-5 hours in one stint in the car. No worries at all. I was concerned the car would be too firm all loaded up with kids and a maxed out boot. But it was fine. The only thing was noise on coarse chip roads. But I'll forgive the lack of insulation for the light weight...

Speaking of which, you can notice the extra weight of a full load. Not quite as punchy in the mid range, needed more throttle than usual on the bigger hills.

The cruise control works well and the sharp steering is great for avoiding pot holes at speed. The Audi A4 would have hit half of them with the dull front end.

Overall, very impressed in its touring ability considering it's a fairly focussed hit hatch.

Still enjoying the car on these faster flowing roads... The road noise is a bit too much to be comfortable and you have to watch for pot holes like an eagle. Having this is a bit limiting for exploring too, the dirt roads are not friendly to 19's and 35 profile tyres.

Really, really confirmed my belief that the 270 should have slighter smaller front brakes and 18" wheels.

The steering is fantastic though, loving how natural the speed of the rack feels.

I would love to have another 270 to experiment with. Build in another inch of suspension travel, smaller wheels etc. Get back a bit of Rallye heritage...

PXL_20221116_064131900~2_copy_1896x1173.jpg

Hi all, just bought a silver FL 270 and hoping to share experiences and sneak a few questions in too. Car has 35k on it and seems relatively stock apart from a Maxton lip kit and a res delete. Has a couple of warranty issues that need sorting out:

- drivers mirror noise on folding
- gearstick boot stitching loose/undone at top
- clutch vibration on take off, or when clutch only pressed in neutral, drives fine otherwise
- unable to do system update via usb/myPeugot app, tried everything. Map updated ok using same method though
- trim above driver door loose
- cruise control gets stuck in paused mode and won’t accept input until car is switched off and started again
- does the FL have a quieter exhaust with no pops and crackles? Even with the res delete I don’t hear any

Now the positives … absolutely love driving this thing, just did a south coast 700km loop today on all the good roads and it was fantastic. I have owned a few Audi RS, Renault RS and currently also have a well sorted BMW M2, glad to have scratched the Peugeot itch :)

Congrats.

I've just had both mirrors replaced on my 308 under warranty as they were noisy - known issue.

Cheers

Justin

Hi all, just bought a silver FL 270 and hoping to share experiences and sneak a few questions in too. Car has 35k on it and seems relatively stock apart from a Maxton lip kit and a res delete. Has a couple of warranty issues that need sorting out:

- drivers mirror noise on folding
- gearstick boot stitching loose/undone at top
- clutch vibration on take off, or when clutch only pressed in neutral, drives fine otherwise
- unable to do system update via usb/myPeugot app, tried everything. Map updated ok using same method though
- trim above driver door loose
- cruise control gets stuck in paused mode and won’t accept input until car is switched off and started again
- does the FL have a quieter exhaust with no pops and crackles? Even with the res delete I don’t hear any

Now the positives … absolutely love driving this thing, just did a south coast 700km loop today on all the good roads and it was fantastic. I have owned a few Audi RS, Renault RS and currently also have a well sorted BMW M2, glad to have scratched the Peugeot itch :)
Welcome and congratulations!

They are brilliant cars, with a few minor annoying characteristics.

In relation to your clutch, there may be a dual mass flywheel issue too. But overall I think the clutch is a weak spot. Mine starts slipping in 2nd and 3rd when on full boost at 5500rpm. I get a fairly alarming flare of revs to the redline when it happens. It's either clutch slip or some weird overboost protection or something. Gotta figure it out. I have noticed a little shudder in heavy stop start traffic too.

Your driver's door trim possibly has broken clips. I've read that it's impossible to take the door trim off without breaking some so maybe they were not replaced. Very cheap to buy new clips though.

I also had an intermittent stereo and sometimes the right speakers would crackle. Thanks to a tip from here the solution was to clean the connections in the boot amplifier.

Otherwise, as you say, Great to drive. I recently did 2000ish Kay's in a week around the south coast NSW. Was absolutely brilliant. Just not ideal for dirt roads and noisy on coarse ship surfaces.

Update on the 270. Single mass flywheel installed with a new clutch from pug1off. Apart from the crazy shipping costs it's been a great upgrade. The clutch has a slightly heavier action but I prefer it and hopefully will sort any slippage. The old friction surface was toast so the previous owner must have been a slipper...

Also installed a P1 short shifter, so far so good but need to change it to the the middle position as it's too stiff going into first.

Another little tweak my mechanic did was to wedge some old timing belt into the gaps in the lower engine mount to stiffen it up. Great upgrade! There's some actual vibration and the car feels more alive. Probably not what the masses want but I like to feel something from the engine!

Next is a new set of Michelin tyres and do some track based driver training.

Exciting day, getting some new boots:

Attachments

• Compress_20231123_104034_4878.jpg
    Compress_20231123_104034_4878.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 46
And fitted, will review how it feels once I have a few Kay's onboard.

Compress_20231123_133847_7504.jpg

Good choice. Just put PS5's on the front of my 308 also, the PS4's were pretty much worn out after just over 20,000km. Rears still have some life left though.

Good choice. Just put PS5's on the front of my 308 also, the PS4's were pretty much worn out after just over 20,000km. Rears still have some life left though.
Yeah, the pirellis that came off were past the wear markers on the front and 4mm left on the rear! But I've also gone down from the factory 19's to a set of bespoke koya 18" wheels. Driving this morning in the rain they definitely feel more keyed into the road surface and much less unintentional wheel spin.

Weirdly, our Audi A4 wagon has ps4s on. Just did Rego and all tyres are equally worn and still have 3mm to the wear markers after 50,000 Kay's.