The 308 GTi 270 - keeping a record here

One question i have, does anyone’s cold-start cycle occasionally seem really aggressive? Like it seems when the outside temp is in a certain range when i start the car it will run in a really aggressive mode for the first minute or so where it’s popping and banging until it gets a bit of heat in and then settles back to a normal idle?
Yes, this is standard. The conditions are basically: cold engine and outside air temp above 15 deg.

If it's colder than that then it's as quite as a mouse.

ok well that’s pretty hilarious, especially with a louder exhaust in a multi-storey car park :LOL:

And you’ll wake the neighbours first thing in the morning…

ok well that’s pretty hilarious, especially with a louder exhaust in a multi-storey car park :LOL:

And you’ll wake the neighbours first thing in the morning…
Thanks for posting, exactly the owner experience I was after. And yes, my car will start in a aggressive cold start with pops and bangs but at random times. If you get the chance could you post a pic of your exhaust set up? I'd assumed replacing the center muffler would be better but I like the hot dog idea.

"One question i have, does anyone’s cold-start cycle occasionally seem really aggressive? Like it seems when the outside temp is in a certain range when i start the car it will run in a really aggressive mode for the first minute or so where it’s popping and banging until it gets a bit of heat in and then settles back to a normal idle?"

Yes my 2017 270 does this also sometimes. It is supposed to in order to heat the Cat converter up sooner (Im fairly sure).

There is some good 308GTi info on the UK Peugeot Forums here if you have have hours to trawl through the Urea tank issues posts... https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/308-2014-2021.122/

@Sci "One question i have, does anyone’s cold-start cycle occasionally seem really aggressive? Like it seems when the outside temp is in a certain range when i start the car it will run in a really aggressive mode for the first minute or so where it’s popping and banging until it gets a bit of heat in and then settles back to a normal idle?" Yeah, mine does a very agressive cold start too and my mechanics told me it's nothing to worry about, moisture level gone up so more pops and bangs.

Thanks for posting, exactly the owner experience I was after. And yes, my car will start in a aggressive cold start with pops and bangs but at random times. If you get the chance could you post a pic of your exhaust set up? I'd assumed replacing the center muffler would be better but I like the hot dog idea.
This is looking from the back RHS, exhaust splits into two above the rear axle and theres one of these hotdogs each side, theyre not very big and theres loads of room once the huge stock muffler is gone.

IMG_0739.jpg

This is looking from the back RHS, exhaust splits into two above the rear axle and theres one of these hotdogs each side, theyre not very big and theres loads of room once the huge stock muffler is gone.

View attachment 209740
Thanks, gives me an idea of what to get done.

Short version - no. I plan to pull it apart and see what I can do myself. They did say it is a warranty repair. That and the cutting out audio system are known failures apparently.

Interesting story about the warranty. The pre-purchase confirmation of the extended factory warranty seems to have vanished once I booked in a warranty service. Peugeot Australia now have no record of this and deny ever having that conversation with me - even though they had made a note of the warranty repair request and sent me to North Shore Peugeot for the repairs. So I'm bugging them with phone calls every week until I sort it out.

I replaced the front shocks with the help of my mechanic at my cost. FYI - Factory replacement struts are $180 a pair and no different to the standard 1.6 THP - I would have thought the GTi variants were 'special' but not according to the part numbers.
Hmm, back in the 505 days there was a wide range of struts to suit every different spring rate fitted to the various 505 models. And they were proper Peugeot made "wet legs". My 404 has its original 56 years old front struts, gave them a refresh with guides, seals and foot valves (obtainable from Der Franzose) 5 years ago.

Hmm, back in the 505 days there was a wide range of struts to suit every different spring rate fitted to the various 505 models. And they were proper Peugeot made "wet legs". My 404 has its original 56 years old front struts, gave them a refresh with guides, seals and foot valves (obtainable from Der Franzose) 5 years ago.
Hi Graham, crazy isn't it? Even my 306 shocks were absolutely fine at 270 thousand plus Kay's. Also disappointed that it seems to be a generic universal strut for all 1.6 308's. I had assumed the top tier performance model would have unique specs. At least they were cheap. My mechanic was telling me how many $900 BMW electronic dampers he's had to replace.

My 205 has original Peugeot made struts working perfectly after 30 years and I've given it a really hard time setting up gravel rallies.

DAB radio... Realised today the car doesn't have DAB radio? I'd just assumed, but is that the case for pre facelift cars? Mines MY17. Also, anyone know if the updated infotainment can be retrofitted to the series 1 GTi's?

I'm looking at a few DAB+ units but all need to be purchased from the UK for the big brand names.

The later (Smeg?) unit can be fitted but its not plug and play, you need to hack it to work with all the features. THeres a big thread on this on one of the UK forums

Yes, Magpie Autos in the UK is the mob everyone over there uses.

Unfortunately they are not cheap, but everyone seems to like the service they provide.

Note: neither edition of the T9 GTi came with a DAB radio, AFAIK.

Hmm, hacking and coding etc... Sounds difficult. I'll spend on the exhaust instead.

Speaking of spending, the pug1off P1 short shifter should be the right thing to get the shift quality up to standard, correct?

Yes, Magpie Autos in the UK is the mob everyone over there uses.

Unfortunately they are not cheap, but everyone seems to like the service they provide.

Note: neither edition of the T9 GTi came with a DAB radio, AFAIK.

Actually, just looked into this. The pound is quite weak at the moment so it's not outrageous. If it's plug and play. Thanks for the link

Hmm, hacking and coding etc... Sounds difficult. I'll spend on the exhaust instead.

Speaking of spending, the pug1off P1 short shifter should be the right thing to get the shift quality up to standard, correct?

FWIW - have the 4H short shift in our 208GTI 30th which uses same linkage as your 308.

Its definitely an improvement on the stock but if you're up for a bit of modding seems you can achieve some outcome with stock linkage following this -

FWIW - have the 4H short shift in our 208GTI 30th which uses same linkage as your 308.

Its definitely an improvement on the stock but if you're up for a bit of modding seems you can achieve some outcome with stock linkage following this -
Excellent info. That looks interesting, might ask my mechanic what he thinks. To me it looks a touch close to the casting edge, would be worried about cracking. Definitely will look into though.

Excellent info. That looks interesting, might ask my mechanic what he thinks. To me it looks a touch close to the casting edge, would be worried about cracking. Definitely will look into though.

Happy to give you my OEM one if you'd like to be able to experiment and have a backup ? I'm in Sydney so can get it to you cheaply/ quickly