Sand casting unobtainium parts at home.

Geez, you young fellas and your modern gizmatrology, I bet you both have a satnav too. ;) Personally I prefer to stay ol'skool. There are patterns galore here at the 'facility' and here's a small selection, but I can't show the really cool stuff yet. As long as my hands continue to function to a point where I can administer my soup without spillage, I'll be happy.

IMG_4778.JPG

Geez, you young fellas and your modern gizmatrology, I bet you both have a satnav too. ;) Personally I prefer to stay ol'skool. There are patterns galore here at the 'facility' and here's a small selection, but I can't show the really cool stuff yet. As long as my hands continue to function to a point where I can administer my soup without spillage, I'll be happy.

View attachment 207409
Thanks for the compliment Graham, I'm probably north of age.

Maybe, a CNC router is $20K+. A 3D printer is $1K or less. Also, a router can only make half a pattern, whereas the 3D printer will make the complete the part.
That is correct Peter the CNC router only makes half of the pattern. The sand is poured into the pattern box to make half the mould. The mould has locating lugs so the two halves can be placed together accurately.

Quite inpressive results.

I have also been playing with this idea. A real rabbit hole.

The pic is of one of my first attempts at an inlet manifold. Old fashioned wooden pattern. The core box were simply a split PVC pipe.

Attachments

• 21E2EA6E-4C95-46E0-B51C-3DB52FDDB95A.jpeg
    21E2EA6E-4C95-46E0-B51C-3DB52FDDB95A.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 117
I too like the idea of old school wooden patterns but after the table saw took one of my finger tips I have turned to CAD and 3D printing.
A month sick leave and needing distraction from the acking finger was the perfect situation for learning Fusion 360.

In meantime the prize of electricity have been skyrocketing so my electric glass fusing kiln have been laid off. I’m slowely building a more suitable waste oil forge.

Attachments

• D0688FD5-9100-4EF2-B9F4-A26DF4ED1735.jpeg
    D0688FD5-9100-4EF2-B9F4-A26DF4ED1735.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 109
I'm with you there. I use gas which isn't that expensive but I have aspirations of getting involved in iron casting and for that I will need to convert to diesel/gas. It's on the do list here too.

Oil powered furnace

I'll park this here for now, it looks like a good starting point for an oil powered furnace. Youtube is full of them but this one looks simple and doable.

View attachment 207409
Good work, but that Prius must be in a really poor state lol

For a future project when I get an oil powered furnace ready I've been thinking I might convert all my scrap iron into one of these..:unsure:

1658200322338.png

Best of luck with the hardening process. You'll need an awful lot of hoof trimmings and a really large bucket of whale oil to cool it down from pale straw! ;)

Or I could just use Ferro silicone as an alloy and let it gracefully work harden. I doubt I'll be making too many rowlocks or horse shoes, tis just for more backyard fun. :jig:

Throw some ball/roller bearing cases in with some mild steel, along with a few old files.