Sand casting unobtainium parts at home.

1658581761527.png

Hi Graham
Have a look at this and google for other information. We were well behind," a couple of centuries", really some other countries that had steel making technology well before it was done in the "developed countries". I was astonished to find out about this, and in a country that I had never heard of ??.

"Ancient Ferrous Metallurgy Sites of Burkina Faso​

This property is composed of five elements located in different provinces of the country. It includes about fifteen standing, natural-draught furnaces, several other furnace structures, mines and traces of dwellings. Douroula, which dates back to the 8th century BCE, is the oldest evidence of the development of iron production found in Burkina Faso."
https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1602
Jaahn
Hi.

Impressive.

When we look at how a blast furnace works, it is easy to understand the processes involved - in retrospect.

What I find amazing is how someone originally thought of the idea: let’s build a round cylindrical chimney out of masonry, find some reddish looking rocks, also some coal and convert it to coke, and some limestone, cart it all to the same location. Then we will light a fire in the chimney thing and toss the other things down the top. We will then wait a while and have a smoko, and then we will prod around the bottom of the chimney thing and see what runs out.

I can understand how glass could have been observed in the natural world with glass forming at the bottom of fires on a sand base, but where in nature does the beginnings of a blast furnace come from?

Cheers.

............I can understand how glass could have been observed in the natural world with glass forming at the bottom of fires on a sand base, but where in nature does the beginnings of a blast furnace come from?

Cheers.
Perhaps it's origins are from the simple practice of fanning or blowing on a fire to increase it's intensity?

Perhaps it's origins are from the simple practice of fanning or blowing on a fire to increase it's intensity?
Hi.

Yes I can understand that aspect, but where did the idea come to combine the fuel, ore and flux, and know to heat it to very high temperatures?

Cheers.

Yes Whippet it is truely amazing how some ideas got up and going in the past. I suppose I should say, on reflection, that I said steel making but actually it was iron making. To make steel is another separate step forward in technology.

There were always clever people who had some inate feeling for how things work. They looked at some mistakes and odd outcomes and just thought we could try that again and throw this stuff in and see what it will do. It was an art not a science. And if the product was valuable for making weapons or trading then it was worth a bit of effort. Hmmm:eek:

I have a book about Isaac Newton that is interesting. He came from a family sheep farm in middle England in 1643. Neither of his parents could read or write. He was shit at running the farm after his father died because he was a 'dreamer' and his mother sent him off to a rural school at 10 where he stayed with an apothecary and helped to pay his board. Then by chance he got to college later which was really just a training college for clergymen. But it had a library and that was a revelation. Sure he had to teach himself latin and then greek and ?? but the brain kept ticking and the ideas kept coming. He tinkered in a lot of areas and was regarded as odd and mad. A long story of social isolation and hiding his ideas, being quite obviously 'on the spectrum' as we would say now.:oops:

Eventually later on he was prevailed upon to write some ideas down for proper discussion. He hated discussion as people always disagreed and argued. One obvious problem was the lack of words to describe these technical things so he had to make them up. Like gravitate as an example. But when he produced the first one on the laws of motion they were spot on and recognisable today. He was knighted when he died and had progressed knowledge a couple of leaps forward. :cool: His last 'job' was keeper of the Royal mint, as he was an honest man !
Jaahn

Last edited:
So M. Fregate, here's a possible casting project for you ...

Thank you for being so diligent there David S. I am pedaling hard to flick this repair over to whoever has the hands to catch it but one way or the other we will get it sorted. At the present moment I am unable to do any casting but if it can wait a while we'll get it sorted somehow. We Renault people are like that.

Vintage piston making for the home hack.

Of course it is well within the realm of possibility that a home-hack sand caster can find ways to make pistons, I know this because I worked it out a while back. This was all about the exercise rather than the end result and no particular alloy was used, just some leftovers from the bin. If I were to ever have the need to get serious about making a piston I would make some changes to the process, but it is eminently doable at home.

Follow the steps kids, it's easy.

IMG_2505.JPG
IMG_2509.JPG

1659063215113.jpeg

IMG_2534.JPG
IMG_2541.JPG
IMG_2538.JPG
IMG_2582.JPG
IMG_4956.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2529.JPG
    IMG_2529.JPG
    436.6 KB · Views: 76
Vintage piston making for the home hack.

Of course it is well within the realm of possibility that a home-hack sand caster can find ways to make pistons, I know this because I worked it out a while back. This was all about the exercise rather than the end result and no particular alloy was used, just some leftovers from the bin. If I were to ever have the need to get serious about making a piston I would make some changes to the process, but it is eminently doable at home.

Follow the steps kids, it's easy.

View attachment 208158View attachment 208159

View attachment 208169
View attachment 208160View attachment 208161View attachment 208165View attachment 208166View attachment 208167
There are several definitions of "easy". Good you've taken such good photos. Please put my name down for the book when it is released. :)

Graham I set you a challenge. You need a big one ! :cool: Get into this sort of vintage replication of desirable cars !
I will put my money down for one. What a fun way to waste some time ;)
Jaahn
1659597638683.png
1659597814265.png

Oh yeah you are full of good ideas for which I thank you. I think you might be getting me mixed up with someone who has genuine skill and better facilities than I.

I think the above is the same guy who copied a customers Bugatti type 35 and has been building cars ever since. He certainly does a nice job and I wonder if he even covers his costs, but good on him for having a go, someone has to do it.

This is however not the first time a similar suggestion has been put before me. I could sight another certain well meaning Aussiefrog member who presented me with a nine page business case outlining why it would be a good idea for me to build a car from scratch, the trouble is I am not a mechanic nor an engineer and although I am probably crazy enough to attempt such a thing I really should stay in my own lane and continue tinkering for a while longer.

However, it's probably not beneath me to have a go at something way off into the future when I learn a bit more about metal fabrication etc. In fact I do have a pipe dream of my own..to build a Vanderbilt racer. Someday perhaps.

Untitleda.png

Graham here is more study to do. And some practical work to start on ;) start on the easy stuff first !
PA300646_How-to-Make-a-Frame-Rail_900.jpg
1659615229732.png
PA290572_1_Unearthing-an-aluminum-wheel_900.jpg
PA290516_1_Foundry-aluminum-pour_900.jpg
PA300612_Nicola-Romeo-1909-Aircraft-Engine_900.jpg

Here are a few more interesting search sites on the subject :rolleyes:
Pur Sang in Paraná, Entre Rios, Argentina
Cheers jaahn:cool:

Last edited: