Sand casting unobtainium parts at home.

I don't think it's carved, resin more like it. The table is carves circa 1995 when I had better eyesight and more energy.

yonks ago.JPG

Lost foam casting for home hacks..

Nailed it first go, As predicted the surface was dirty from the melted foam and a few small squiggly marks that look like cracks but are just 1/2mm deep. It was incredibly easy, I just added a coupla bits of foam for a sprue and riser, buried the whole thing in greensand and poured in the metal. There is a huge scope for tinkering with lost foam casting, after all that's how they cast engine blocks these days.

Capture.JPG
Captures.JPG

While I was at it I made a cupla blanks for a spacer I need, easy as.

Captured.JPG
Captureg.JPG

Footnote: I used plain old building insulation for the foamwork.

Captureb.JPG

Last edited:
More from the home hack sand caster..

I had a hit rate of 100% today which included the lost foam items. I sand cast 2 hollow shells for a secret mission but forgot to photograph the sodium silicate sand core I made for them, oh well I'm sure you can picture what it would look like.

Footnote: The astute members of the audience would have noticed my deliberate mistake 'sprew' is actually spelt 'sprue' but you new that right :rolleyes:

Capturede.JPG
Capturej.JPG
Capturek.JPG
Capturen.JPG
Capturev.JPG

You are a clever Dick :headbanger":worship::worship:

I've been tinkering with home sand casting for 2 or 3 years now and seem to be getting the hang of at last, my failure rate has gone from about 95% down to 5% or so. Sand casting can be so much fun I am surprised everyone else isn't doing it too. Sand casting can be time consuming though because a pattern has to be made to reflect the finished article and depending on the shape of the item the sand mould itself might need to be made in several pieces to get around undercuts and odd corners etc. Hollow parts will need a core box of some fashion to make the internal sand mould and for a one-off item it can be difficult to justify the time it takes to make a complete cast part.

I have a solution, if you have a close look at the pattern in the first image below you will see that it is made from a coffee cup, a piece of cardboard tube, some cork and a couple of sand biscuits all glued and taped together to form the shape of the required part but is also hollow so is used as a core box at the same time. Making a piecemeal pattern like this is really fast but there will be a bit more fettling after the casting is done to remove marks and make it look pretty. I did say it was fun..:jig:

a.JPG
b.JPG
c.JPG
d.JPG
e.JPG
f.JPG
g.JPG

Maybe you should invest in a 3D printer? They make pattern making easy.

I've been tinkering with home sand casting for 2 or 3 years now and seem to be getting the hang of at last, my failure rate has gone from about 95% down to 5% or so. Sand casting can be so much fun I am surprised everyone else isn't doing it too. Sand casting can be time consuming though because a pattern has to be made to reflect the finished article and depending on the shape of the item the sand mould itself might need to be made in several pieces to get around undercuts and odd corners etc. Hollow parts will need a core box of some fashion to make the internal sand mould and for a one-off item it can be difficult to justify the time it takes to make a complete cast part.

I have a solution, if you have a close look at the pattern in the first image below you will see that it is made from a coffee cup, a piece of cardboard tube, some cork and a couple of sand biscuits all glued and taped together to form the shape of the required part but is also hollow so is used as a core box at the same time. Making a piecemeal pattern like this is really fast but there will be a bit more fettling after the casting is done to remove marks and make it look pretty. I did say it was fun..:jig:

View attachment 207377 View attachment 207378 View attachment 207379 View attachment 207380 View attachment 207381View attachment 207382View attachment 207383
Excellent work, young fella!

You never cease to amaze me with your talents! Well done my friend.

Thanks PeterT. I have been under pressure by a few to get setup for 3D printing but I can bang out a proper timber pattern quicker than a printer could do it but lately I have been making disposable patterns for one offs.

Thanks PeterT. I have been under pressure by a few to get setup for 3D printing but I can bang out a proper timber pattern quicker than a printer could do it but lately I have been making disposable patterns for one offs.
Seeing as Graham is a master craftsman with wood maybe a CNC router would be the way to go.

At present I work in a foundry that makes ferrous castings, the parts that make up the pattern are made on the CNC router.

Seeing as Graham is a master craftsman with wood maybe a CNC router would be the way to go.

At present I work in a foundry that makes ferrous castings, the parts that make up the pattern are made on the CNC router.
Maybe, a CNC router is $20K+. A 3D printer is $1K or less. Also, a router can only make half a pattern, whereas the 3D printer will make the complete the part.