Sand casting unobtainium parts at home.

I blew the frost off New England this morning and did another couple of castings. This is the exhaust deflector from a few posts back. As advised I made the bottom plane flat, just to make it easy. When I get time I'll reshape the necessary areas to add a bit of french style and linish it to a fine polish. Like Michelangelo who when asked how he made David said, "I just started with a block of marble and removed all the bits that weren't David", I'll do the same to reach the final shape and form. Then I'll add the logo by acid etching.

View attachment 223192View attachment 223193View attachment 223194
I'd say that is pretty much what the Robri ones looked like at the start! it's very much a hand-finished item and far from perfectly symmetrical when you look closely. Charming really. I presume they were made well before WW2. Yours will be just fine.

We had water from the sky last week - always odd after Perth's summer. Ice forming on the ground? Wow. I saw that in Perth once in about 1995 I'd say.

I blew the frost off New England this morning and did another couple of castings. This is the exhaust deflector from a few posts back. As advised I made the bottom plane flat, just to make it easy. When I get time I'll reshape the necessary areas to add a bit of french style and linish it to a fine polish. Like Michelangelo who when asked how he made David said, "I just started with a block of marble and removed all the bits that weren't David", I'll do the same to reach the final shape and form. Then I'll add the logo by acid etching.

You can see the result of this philosophy in the Academia . JUst before you get to David there are a couple of half carved statues he did in which you can see the body emerging from the stone.

In many ways they are more beautiful and interesting than the finished product

Would probably still get banned in Florida though

Andrew

Ha! Even google can't spell, what a blight. I googled the "history of Robri' and got pictures of robberies

Last edited:
You can see the result of this philosophy in the Academia . JUst before you get to David there are a couple of half carved statues he did in which you can see the body emerging from the stone.

In many ways they are more beautiful and interesting than the finished product

Would probably still get banned in Florida though

Andrew
And a fair few other parts of the prudish and fanatical USA. Totally agree re the part-carved statues. He was quite good with the hammer and chisel.

That should look pretty good on the Fregate when it's finished. Now for some spats.. :geek:

IMG_6561.JPG

Looks good! I found a facebook post covering casting of the allmost the same item:

Nice one. I hadn't thought of incorporating the runners as a permanent part of the finished item. He also poured it upside down.

If you have a close look you will notice he had a freeze on the edge of the part. This is a common problem on thin walled castings.

351786888_250516590927172_4646321033335798603_n.jpg

Robri

Deep acid etching for the home hack..

I reckon its about 0.2mm deep. Not the greatest effort but worth a shot. I painted the lettering on with nail polish and built a small plasticine dam into which I poured neat hydrochloric acid.

IMG_6641.JPG
IMG_6723.JPG
IMG_6640.JPG

Last edited:
Another day - another job done. I needed a clamping plate for a car rear window and to make it easy I decided to not make a closed sand mould but instead made an open air mould in greensand like this.
IMG_6734.JPG

An impression was pushed into a level pad of green sand and the alloy was simply poured in. It's impossible to accurately gauge the depth and meniscus so I overpoured the alloy with the intention of trimming to final size.
IMG_6741.JPG

Trimming to size isn't such a big deal when you have one of these bad boys in your arsenal. :tongue:
IMG_3575.JPG

Anyway "that's a rap" as they say in the movie business.

Where's the French content I hear you cry? Well I'm pretty sure there's a couple of old Renault intake manifolds in there somewhere.

IMG_6745.JPG

I challenge you Graham. Intake airbox for two DCOE's...:LOL:
Can I just say at this point that all sand casting is a challenge and you never know how it will go until you have a crack. I'd consider your challenge but I don't seem to have any Twin DCOEs :unsure:

Can I just say at this point that all sand casting is a challenge and you never know how it will go until you have a crack. I'd consider your challenge but I don't seem to have any Twin DCOEs :unsure:
I can supply a pair, if you promise not to use them in the casting process. ;)

By the way great outcome on the clamping plate, love your work Graham (y) (y)