RX4 Scenic exceeded expectations @ 300k

Nice to see another RX4 still running strong. Here is my 2001 Scenic RX4 Privilege petrol, about to tick over to 330,000 and still running like new and in fantastic condition. Has been a fantastic car over the 14 years my family has owned it and I have become very attached to it. Parents bought it home when I was 6 with 80,000km and I am still happy driving it as 20. Is yours still on its original gearbox? What work have you had done to it?
I have them in 2 colours, green and purple / blue.

3 are privilege leather and twin sunroofs, and others are cloth seats and single sunroof.
One has a blown gearbox, another has the dead motor, besides that mechanically the rest could do 100k+ more

I am actually onto our second one, and it was still pulling like a train at 180k. They love to rev like most Renaults.

The first still has some life in it, but I wasn't up for doing the clutch in it, and 5th gear I had stopped using by the noise it made when engaged.
I knew I just needed to tighten that bolt up, as it wasn't grinding (yet).

The last night the daily with over 300k slipped out of 5th going uphill, so I know what I'm doing this weekend :D

tis the season it seems.

So no love for the Koleos? Owners seem to like them, but yea not much Renault left in them except the interior.
The late Koleos front end is a bit 'Asia centric' in styling, but I guess that makes sense.
Our family has a first gen pre-facelift 2011 Renault Privilege, purchased in 2016 with 49,000km to take the RX4‘s spot as the “main” car. The Koleos now has 233,000km on it and not a single part replaced! By far the most reliable car we’ve ever owned. The original CVT has held up well and it is a great long distance cruiser, overall very impressed. And personally I think the first pre-facelift Koleos looks better than all it’s successors. 😉

Attachments

• IMG_3843.jpeg
    IMG_3843.jpeg
    974 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3842.jpeg
    IMG_3842.jpeg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 31
I have them in 2 colours, green and purple / blue.

3 are privilege leather and twin sunroofs, and others are cloth seats and single sunroof.
One has a blown gearbox, another has the dead motor, besides that mechanically the rest could do 100k+ more

I am actually onto our second one, and it was still pulling like a train at 180k. They love to rev like most Renaults.

The first still has some life in it, but I wasn't up for doing the clutch in it, and 5th gear I had stopped using by the noise it made when engaged.
I knew I just needed to tighten that bolt up, as it wasn't grinding (yet).

The last night the daily with over 300k slipped out of 5th going uphill, so I know what I'm doing this weekend :D

tis the season it seems.
Ours is the Privilege Verve with twin electric sunroofs, leather, climate control etc. One thing I’ve never been quite able to understand is I’ve never seen another RX4 with the same leather interior as ours, particularly the headrests which all the others seem to have a slit in the middle. I know it came this way from the dealer when new and was never reupholstered. Pictures on the left are my seats while the one on the right is every other RX4 I’ve seen.

As for 5th gear, do you apply loctite to the gear? I applied loctite as 287,000km when it came loose, 43,000km later at 330,000km it is holding up just fine. Also got some brand new gear shifter bushings recently and the gearbox feels like new, old bushes were so worn it took a good 4-5 attempts to engage 5th.

Attachments

• B1D2758C-6247-4E45-9005-06B82757E19Acompressed.jpeg
    B1D2758C-6247-4E45-9005-06B82757E19Acompressed.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 6C3FDD41-A3CE-449E-B27B-B533F333B0A4compressed.jpeg
    6C3FDD41-A3CE-449E-B27B-B533F333B0A4compressed.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 38
  • F7BCC65D-3B9A-4704-945B-CEED145BF292compressed.jpeg
    F7BCC65D-3B9A-4704-945B-CEED145BF292compressed.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3844.jpeg
    IMG_3844.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 38
So no love for the Koleos? Owners seem to like them, but yea not much Renault left in them except the interior.
The late Koleos front end is a bit 'Asia centric' in styling, but I guess that makes sense.

I'm not sure the Kia Rondo isn't anywhere close to the height of an RX4 which essentially is a jacked std scenic (ugly duckling if you are used to how a normal scenic looks).

I think it looks like a wombat, or the closest thing to a red dwarf star-bug.
Koleos is a) not a Renault, and b) an SUV pile of shite.

Seats on 2 of my cars like yours, both single sunroof. The options on these cars seems to be all over the place.

My daily driver with 2 sunroofs are split like the picture on the right.

Re 5th,
I've applied loctite to one of my cars. The daily has started slipping out of 5th under load.
It seems to drop out when backing off from load, but I haven't tempted fate and kept it out of 5th since the other day.

Yea my shifter bushes are screwed, but don't have a problem selecting any gears yet.
I also noticed the clutch thrust bearing is noisy too.

The Scenic RX4 is also technically an SUV/MPV. I personally don’t see any problem with SUV’s if you have a use for them. My father uses his 2011 Koleos for windsurfing and the 4wd is really capable of tackling steep slippery slopes, and it fits all of his equipment on the roof and inside. Our Scenic RX4 was also great for this reason as it has 4wd and lots of space.

The problem is people buying 2wd SUV’s with absolutely no need for them. Even my elderly neighbours drive a Ute and need stepstools to get in and out, absolutely ridiculous. They have never used the Ute tray since they bought it.

Yea my shifter bushes are screwed, but don't have a problem selecting any gears yet.
I also noticed the clutch thrust bearing is noisy too
Very easy to replace, mine took me about 1.5 hours and they only cost just over $20 on eBay. Worth the effort as my gearbox feels near new afterwards. Here are the links:

The Scenic RX4 is also technically an SUV/MPV. I personally don’t see any problem with SUV’s if you have a use for them. My father uses his 2011 Koleos for windsurfing and the 4wd is really capable of tackling steep slippery slopes, and it fits all of his equipment on the roof and inside. Our Scenic RX4 was also great for this reason as it has 4wd and lots of space.

The problem is people buying 2wd SUV’s with absolutely no need for them. Even my elderly neighbours drive a Ute and need stepstools to get in and out, absolutely ridiculous. They have never used the Ute tray since they bought it.
Yep, that's it in a nutshell. :)

Very easy to replace, mine took me about 1.5 hours and they only cost just over $20 on eBay. Worth the effort as my gearbox feels near new afterwards. Here are the links:

30800kms now :D

agreed they grip like the praverbial in the wet, gravel or paddock bashing in the mud. not low geared enough to be a crawler, but I also appreciate the height that misses many small Tasmanian critters

Having a look to see what is going on after abstaining from the Froggery for a fair while I'm delighted to see that some of the erstwhile contributors of bigoted rubbish still moaning about their pet peeves as regular as clockwork, but now more abusively. Taking Haakon to task over his pathetic ramblings is a waste of time, his opinion is correct and no amount of argument or logic will get him to change. The Koleos was designed in France by Renault to be built in the Renault owned Samsung factory in Korea based on a platform shared with Nissan, at the time a junior partner of Renault, who used the same platform to build the X-Trail on. I have been very happy with my Koleos for the last 15 years and can definitely say without any fear of contradiction by someone who has never owned one it was not, is not and never will be a piece of shite. :)

I have been very happy with my Koleos for the last 15 years and can definitely say without any fear of contradiction by someone who has never owned one it was not, is not and never will be a piece of shite. :)

Thanks Kim, by this reasoning many Koleos owners will have their expectations exceeded!

I haven't owned a Koleos but I have owned a couple of 2000 ish Korean built cars. 199x something Charade, and the 2001 v6 Sonata.
While unrefined, what sealed the fate of my Sonata was having to remove the right suspension to change the alternator. F** that.
the car had over 400k in the end, also exceeded my expectations, with minor things like wheel bearings needed more changes than I'd have liked. I changed both rears twice from 180k

That boat was so basic they had deleted the airbags from that model, I think by Australian law the last year of cars that was possible because of grandfathering legislation on existing models. It had little to no under body noise deadening but it wouldn't die.

A friend of mine down here retired one that hit a roo and had totalled its radiator. He still uses that as a paddock bomb, and just ignores the temperature and its still going.

Thanks Kim, by this reasoning many Koleos owners will have their expectations exceeded!

I haven't owned a Koleos but I have owned a couple of 2000 ish Korean built cars. 199x something Charade, and the 2001 v6 Sonata.
While unrefined, what sealed the fate of my Sonata was having to remove the right suspension to change the alternator. F** that.
the car had over 400k in the end, also exceeded my expectations, with minor things like wheel bearings needed more changes than I'd have liked. I changed both rears twice from 180k

That boat was so basic they had deleted the airbags from that model, I think by Australian law the last year of cars that was possible because of grandfathering legislation on existing models. It had little to no under body noise deadening but it wouldn't die.

A friend of mine down here retired one that hit a roo and had totalled its radiator. He still uses that as a paddock bomb, and just ignores the temperature and its still going.
Nowt wrong with Korean cars. My gran bought one of the very very first gen Excel back in 1988 - the one that was a rebodied Mits Colt. She paid $7K for in brand new in bog basic spec with only AC added. Didnt even come with a radio! Bloody thing went for decades.

The last car I bought for my parents is a first gen i30 - 2 litre auto wagon. Bloody amazing thing - built for the euro market so it actually handles and has been completely bulletproof.

But the Koleos is a soulless cynical exercise in marketing to drones - like all SUVs...

I want to buy one, having sold ours 9 years ago, but I'm not allowed.
There are also wine bottle holders above the rear wheel arches, in line with the back seats. Incredible car. Just the insane automatic transmission drove me up the wall with its constant refusal to use 4th gear under about 80 km/h.