RX4 Scenic exceeded expectations @ 300k

vivid

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
5th gear still running strong, still pulls like. train, and has been trouble free motoring.

first major issue happened today (1000km later) where a coil pack died, but that was quickly fixed guessing it was #4

Only a couple of minor issues.
It has become extremely noisy recently, like is groaning. I think its likely the pulley making all the noise.

passenger side window likes to work its way down, particularly on warm days and rough roads (or dead coils)

oh and the fuel and distance estimation part of the trip computer has never worked.

My daughter's first car is a mk1 Megane convertible we are preparing for roadworthy. Many shared parts betwern cars since the RX4 is a 'megane' scenic
so its been handy for many broken plastic bits, not all.

However I did notice on hers there is no trip computer functionality built in, or a button on the end of her stalk to toggle the function.

Has anyone had a play with swapping these things out or is it all in the ECU unit?

IMG_4040.jpeg
IMG_1441.jpeg

Trip computer is likely in the instrument cluster. Id be willing to bet another cluster from a model that has it would work with the right button equipped stalk - it would be just pulling data from canbus.

Maybe you would need CLIP (ive got one btw if you dont already ;) ) to enable it.

Thanks Haakon I’ll give it a go,

Yea I’ve needed a CLIP for a while.

that makes life easier! You didn't buy that $500 diesel meg last month did you?

I didn’t see it, but you won’t catch me buying a diesel ;)

Well, maybe a new Trafic for travelling if I ever get my land in Victoria through planning and sold…

I did buy an $800 marketplace megane last year with a busted timing belt and bent valves. I made a few grand on that putting another head on it and catching up its servicing and selling it :) The new owner had it back here yesterday as he convinced me to service it for him - his wife racked up 10K kms in it between here and Launceston in about 7 months.

I did buy an $800 marketplace megane last year with a busted timing belt and bent valves. I made a few grand on that putting another head on it and catching up its servicing and selling it :) The new owner had it back here yesterday as he convinced me to service it for him - his wife racked up 10K kms in it between here and Launceston in about 7 months.
Ah I saw that myself and was tempted. good deal.

so I decided to try out a $20 chinese ODBII scanner.
Basically if it can read the codes, reset the codes, read serial numbers etc.

So it communicates, and connects..
Almost every sensor on the car looks disabled.
when I try to look up any 'car numbers' it gives me a useful string in each, "OBDII"
So its effectively useless afaik.

I have a dongle also which I've tried before on the LagunaII using the torque app, but not on the RX4 Scenic.
I'll report back with my results on that. I have a spare ECU working in the car with bent valves.

As I understand it the ECU has been 'dumbed down' from a standard Scenic but I'm not sure if that is actually the case.

Coincidentally a week after I posted this the car has developed a sloppy top left ball joint (by the feel of the wheel's play) which is going to chew my new fronts in no time, so I'd better get onto that now!

so I decided to try out a $20 chinese ODBII scanner.
Basically if it can read the codes, reset the codes, read serial numbers etc.

So it communicates, and connects..
Almost every sensor on the car looks disabled.
when I try to look up any 'car numbers' it gives me a useful string in each, "OBDII"
So its effectively useless afaik.

I have a dongle also which I've tried before on the LagunaII using the torque app, but not on the RX4 Scenic.
I'll report back with my results on that. I have a spare ECU working in the car with bent valves.

As I understand it the ECU has been 'dumbed down' from a standard Scenic but I'm not sure if that is actually the case.

Coincidentally a week after I posted this the car has developed a sloppy top left ball joint (by the feel of the wheel's play) which is going to chew my new fronts in no time, so I'd better get onto that now!
Come and borrow the CLIP ;)

Top of the strut is a ball bearing plate thingy, they dont generally go sloppy. But the rubber plate mount can.

Awesome thanks, don't even need to try around here 🤣

tbh I haven't even looked, just grabbed the wheel and compared. drivers side has play.

I'm heading to Sydney on Friday so maybe next week I'll have time. If you're inclined come visit, Ill buy you a beer 🍺

The Renault Scenic .
My wife loves the Renault Scenic.
I find them practical and they are user friendly, good on trips and well designed.
My eldest daughter has two young children, she herself has been a drama many times.
I gave her our Scenic and she has become very independent, less needy.

Renault think of everything?

The Renault Scenic .
My wife loves the Renault Scenic.
I find them practical and they are user friendly, good on trips and well designed.
My eldest daughter has two young children, she herself has been a drama many times.
I gave her our Scenic and she has become very independent, less needy.

Renault think of everything?
yea a wine bottle fits perfectly in the glove box.

coincidentally wine bottles fit snug in the front doors. not to mention 2 bottles in the tray under the drivers seat, and if you dont have the CD stacker 2 more bottles in the tray under the passenger seat.
2 floor compartments in the back (perfect for a couple of bottles) and a stretchy net for baguettes, cheese and more wine.

The french think of everything!

🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

oh and makeup mirrors on both drivers and passengers with courtesy lightts is a nice touch. For when the traffic stops and you just have to do your lippy.

And like all modern french cars, safety locks over 15kph so you aren't car jacked.

Nice to see another RX4 still running strong. Here is my 2001 Scenic RX4 Privilege petrol, about to tick over to 330,000 and still running like new and in fantastic condition. Has been a fantastic car over the 14 years my family has owned it and I have become very attached to it. Parents bought it home when I was 6 with 80,000km and I am still happy driving it as 20. Is yours still on its original gearbox? What work have you had done to it?

Attachments

• IMG_3817.jpeg
    IMG_3817.jpeg
    833.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3820.jpeg
    IMG_3820.jpeg
    935.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3821.jpeg
    IMG_3821.jpeg
    756.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3823.jpeg
    IMG_3823.jpeg