RX4 Scenic exceeded expectations @ 300k

Mine is starting to show signs of its age. Its about the same age and kms as yours.
I've replaced the coils (with known good ones, green for black) which is the only major failure (touch wood)

Original gearbox yes, burns a little oil, similar kms to yours. Really needs a new ancillary belt.

Since you are so attached, let me know if you ever need any parts as I do have a few spares vehicles.
There were only 500 sold in Australia, all petrol.

Our rx4 was same as rx4BUGGY,s bought in 2004 ex demo with 1200km on it,loved it,towed van with it drove to WA in 2005 and back,QLD a couple of times.gave it to daughter in law in2013 with 110,000km on it still running like a train with no faults.dumb driver didn’t give way and tboned it,write off,bugger.kept the wreck took a few bits off (engine,headlights etc) had rest carted away when moved house,still miss it as faultless car…jim

Our rx4 was same as rx4BUGGY,s bought in 2004 ex demo with 1200km on it,loved it,towed van with it drove to WA in 2005 and back,QLD a couple of times.gave it to daughter in law in2013 with 110,000km on it still running like a train with no faults.dumb driver didn’t give way and tboned it,write off,bugger.kept the wreck took a few bits off (engine,headlights etc) had rest carted away when moved house,still miss it as faultless car…jim
IMG_4811.jpeg

yup, dumb driver not giving way hit this one at 85k, privilege version, came spare with another.
Too good to wreck, not written off I drove it home to TAS as well. Drove like a new car. It was waiting for my daily driver to die which hasn't happened yet.

Haha,I bought one the same colour as yours from local Mitsubishi dealer as traded, buggered gearbox lady was told by workshop, paid $1100,crawl under car coz gshift felt out of whack,bent gshift selector rod,bend back up drove home perfectly.that was ten years ago,so I had it about two years and wife says seeing we gave my blue one to dil maybe I should give mine to future son in law coz his old Corolla was nearly buggered.so what would I drive ?you can have his Corolla coz I was only travelling 10km a day ???.yes dear yes dear,future sil (no longer)had car until 2years ago doing garden maintenance etc well over 300k,upgraded to diesel berlingo and drove rx4 to Pickapart,it needed driveshafts but otherwise still going strong..jim

Reactions: COL
living in Kilsyth would be a problem for me :D
When I lived in Ringwood I spent way too much time there. But I got the first R21 from there - running driving but no keys as it was an abandoned car picked up by a council. Also bought two Pug 504s out of the yard that were too good to wreck and made some money fixing them up and selling them.

Those yards wont sell cars out of the yard anymore because of annoying VicRoads rules...

So i have noticed.

What is the story with Scenic a burnt valves?
Was a mention somewhere on the forum.
I mentioned a couple of times.

one of my scenics before it got to me was reported as a blown motor.
#1 coil was destroyed.

IMG_4813.jpeg

The Valeo (green ones) have been failing (2/4) and the DENSO (black ones) Ive been replacing them with. But as you'll see I will be 1 short eventually

View attachment 232527
The Valeo (green ones) have been failing (2/4) and the DENSO (black ones) Ive been replacing them with. But as you'll see I will be 1 short eventually
Not seen one fail on cars ive had yet... Had two Meganes and a scenic all at around 100K on original coils, one scenic at 160 im sure were original and the donor Megane i got had 220 and had OEM coils that had to be original.

Mine were all made in Germany by Beru.

afaik DENSO coils should outlast the car. There were class actions and recalls. Not accounting for the burned one. There are also some brown topped ones

Beru dont have a top at all, just the resin sealer.

I did once get a set of el cheapo eBay coils, and they were fine too... Coil either work or they dont - these are not highly stressed race engines!

Beru dont have a top at all, just the resin sealer.

I did once get a set of el cheapo eBay coils, and they were fine too... Coil either work or they dont - these are not highly stressed race engines!
I think it largely effects Scenics but they are meg based

I think it largely effects Scenics but they are meg based
Same engine though. Its mostly down I suspect to whatever supply contract was in place for the engine plant at the time..

Nice to see another RX4 still running strong. Here is my 2001 Scenic RX4 Privilege petrol, about to tick over to 330,000 and still running like new and in fantastic condition. Has been a fantastic car over the 14 years my family has owned it and I have become very attached to it. Parents bought it home when I was 6 with 80,000km and I am still happy driving it as 20. Is yours still on its original gearbox? What work have you had done to it?
It doesn't matter how much you pay, there is just nothing on the market to match the design of the Scenic. Nothing. Here is our family fleet. I know these aren't RX4s but they are still proper Scenics, 2005-2006 models.
A Sensibility of Scenics Feb 2019 sml.jpg

Mine is starting to show signs of its age. Its about the same age and kms as yours.
I've replaced the coils (with known good ones, green for black) which is the only major failure (touch wood)

Original gearbox yes, burns a little oil, similar kms to yours. Really needs a new ancillary belt.

Since you are so attached, let me know if you ever need any parts as I do have a few spares vehicles.
There were only 500 sold in Australia, all petrol.
Great to get more sources for spare parts, I haven’t needed any in a while but when I do it’s always a big hassle. Mine is on the 2nd gearbox, engine all original, even the same coils. Original gearbox failed due to implosion of 5th gear, 2nd one the 5th gear came loose and I caught it just in time to save the gearbox. (Attached is a picture of the 5th gear cover open, had to buy a new 5th gear cog and loctite it in place)

Mine is also burning a little oil, about 1L every 8000-10,000km on 10w-40, but compression is still great at 170ish PSI across all cylinders (less than 2% difference). However I suspect that the small amount of oil that is burnt is coming from the valve stem seals, as the exhaust lets out a bit of smoke after going down a long hill. I plan on adding some Liquimoly mos2 to try and remedy this. Engine still runs like new though, super smooth and no stutters.
It doesn't matter how much you pay, there is just nothing on the market to match the design of the Scenic. Nothing. Here is our family fleet. I know these aren't RX4s but they are still proper Scenics, 2005-2006 models.
My favourite “Standard” Scenic of them all! My family had one of these in gold back when we lived in Singapore from 2005-2010, very fond memories of travelling through Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand in it. Was a very rare car in Singapore at the time especially in its colour. Since we came back to Australia we have owned our fantastic Scenic RX4. Picture is of me cleaning it the day my parents bought it back home in 2010, I remember instantly falling in love with it as a kid because of how unique it was. Still love it to this day nearly 14 years later. Other pictures are of our golden Scenic in Singapore.

Attachments

• IMG_3841.jpeg
    IMG_3841.jpeg
    988.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3840.jpeg
    IMG_3840.jpeg
    848.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3839.jpeg
    IMG_3839.jpeg
    741.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3838.jpeg
    IMG_3838.jpeg
    926.1 KB · Views: 41
It doesn't matter how much you pay, there is just nothing on the market to match the design of the Scenic. Nothing. Here is our family fleet. I know these aren't RX4s but they are still proper Scenics, 2005-2006 models. View attachment 232569
Kia Rondo is about as close as we saw in the local market. But it wasn’t another fecking suv, so Kia killed it. Sad to see Renault putting the scenic and espace badges on putrid bloated SUV shite boxes now :(

It doesn't matter how much you pay, there is just nothing on the market to match the design of the Scenic. Nothing. Here is our family fleet. I know these aren't RX4s but they are still proper Scenics, 2005-2006 models. View attachment 232569
This was mine. Late model Grand Scenic. I only had it for a short time and didn’t even get a chance to use it. I bought it with a dead transmission and a whole lot of neglect… I fixed it up with the help of an other one I bought for parts. It got from the donor a transmission and leather seats. I brought all the services up to date including the timing belt and brake etc, and sold it for a few grand in profit. Another one saved.

IMG_3037.jpeg

Kia Rondo is about as close as we saw in the local market. But it wasn’t another fecking suv, so Kia killed it. Sad to see Renault putting the scenic and espace badges on putrid bloated SUV shite boxes now :(
So no love for the Koleos? Owners seem to like them, but yea not much Renault left in them except the interior.
The late Koleos front end is a bit 'Asia centric' in styling, but I guess that makes sense.

I'm not sure the Kia Rondo isn't anywhere close to the height of an RX4 which essentially is a jacked std scenic (ugly duckling if you are used to how a normal scenic looks).

I think it looks like a wombat, or the closest thing to a red dwarf star-bug.