RHH cambelt

You are going to love this video (the demonstrator runs a fleet of Mondeos):

It's easy to get into trouble with the crank sensor and its wheel.
I've got my fingers crossed, if I unplug it and spray some contact cleaner in there .... and plug it back on. We will be good to go (if so, I'll put some silicon paste in it with a dental brush to prevent oxidation).

The video shows how the wheel and the tongue relate.

The video shows how the wheel and the tongue relate.
The wheel is keyed into the crank key. I can't see how it could possibly be wrong unless the crank bolt has come undone. Even if the timing belt was loose and jumped a tooth. the sender should still work correctly as the sensor wheel is keyed to the crank :)

the error is literally "signal absent" :)

index.php

Now I read that, it says camshaft-crankshaft synchronisation "NO" as well (which makes sense if there is no crank signal). However that means there is a cam sensor as well as a crank sensor.

FFS .... I just pulled the front wheel off .... found the tools to pull the inner wheel housing out ..... looked at the crank pulley ..... said a few colourful words. Reached in and plugged the damn crank sensor back on .... Would you believe it started instantly with that bloody thing plugged on ?? WTF ?? I distinctly remember wiggling that on until it went "click" and locked down onto its retainer tags. How on earth has it come unplugged? Yes I wiggled and gently pulled at it and its not coming off 🤫 :blackeye: So if it does it again ... I'll be more than confused.

I think I mentioned self-inflicted injury and the sensor. Don't fret, we all do it.

There is fuel there, between the pump and the trapped air at the top of the filter. It gets sucked up. Not for long though.

FFS .... I just pulled the front wheel off .... found the tools to pull the inner wheel housing out ..... looked at the crank pulley ..... said a few colourful words. Reached in and plugged the damn crank sensor back on .... Would you believe it started instantly with that bloody thing plugged on ?? WTF ?? I distinctly remember wiggling that on until it went "click" and locked down onto its retainer tags. How on earth has it come unplugged? Yes I wiggled and gently pulled at it and its not coming off 🤫 :blackeye: So if it does it again ... I'll be more than confused.
Oh i spent hours swearing and cursing on an XM that just didn't want to start only to find that the cranky sensor was unplugged and i was damn sure that thing was plugged in lol

Holly shit that was one tight bolt. No wonder they think you'll break it. I tried with the tension wrench (as described). Not a cracker. So I progressed to a bloody great breakers bar ..... Not a snowmans chance in hell. Even the 3/4" impact rattled for about 5 seconds to move it.

Can anyone say "tight" .... holly crap.

View attachment 233805

I can't imagine there isn't anyone that doesn't hit it with a big rattle gun.... damn that's tight! The massive force required when using a breakers bar will surely be more likely to sheer it off that impacts will.
THIS still had the black rubber crank shaft pulley dustcover in place!
My C5 kept spitting THAT onto the driveway...
Others here have said they have never seen them, or never replace them, if seen...
They must serve a purpose, no?
Mine now collects dust, instead of exclude dust, sitting on my shelf!
Jez