Renault Fregate..

I couldn't make out if they were your arms or not. I'll have to take a better look and note of them next time I see you.

Probably, because his knuckles definately don't drag on the ground when he walks.

Yeah righto you two, being as astute as I know you both are you would have noticed that the camera was a wide angle type which has made my slender arms appear more manly than they really are. Y'áll would have also noticed my giant hands, no-one but no-one has hands bigger than mine..

...sent from my still sickbed

Hmm, riveting stuff yes I know.

My good friend and fellow Fregate owner Philippe from Toulon France has correctly pointed out that according to the 1958 Fregate owners manual the gear shift had finally been repositioned on the RHD cars to the left hand side of the steering column by 1958. My car is a 1956.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1958.jpg
    1958.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 591
  • 1958a.jpg
    1958a.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:
Here's another Aussie Fregate from about 1953 with the right handed gearshift like mine.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0105.jpg
    DSC_0105.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 568
I'm glad no one has used the adjective "correctly" for the repositioned gear lever. What's wrong with the RHS, apart from not being able to sell the cars to everyone of course?

I'm glad no one has used the adjective "correctly" for the repositioned gear lever. What's wrong with the RHS, apart from not being able to sell the cars to everyone of course?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the right handed gear shift especially for a naturally gifted driver like yours truly.:jiggy:

‘cept his is probably adjusted properly :party:

...I'll deal with you later.:)

The early Standard Vanguard also had a RH column shift on a RHD car, then there was also the Riley Pathfinder with a RH floor shift on the RHD versions. Renault was probably trying to cater to a niche market of upgraders.......

Gee, you must have some pretty coarse grit paper up there....

Great photo. Thanks.

Cheers

Won't buff out, you but could just spray over the top. May be cover the glass bits first though.

No not a parts car. It wouldn't be a problem for you to restore G.

I've been trying to upload these images for weeks, a fully blinged Domaine.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 29817205725_97834b4bec_o.jpg
    29817205725_97834b4bec_o.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 471
  • 29817197175_975e4f9496_o.jpg
    29817197175_975e4f9496_o.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
I like the bling. I miss the lack of chrome on modern cars. Saw a black late model Merc with quite a bit of chrome on it the other day. Not sure if they were extras or factory but it certainly looked great.

Bonjour Ricky,

Do you know how many road-going Fregates there are in France, In Australia we have only 3.

Savez-vous combien il y a de frégates routiers en France? En Australie, nous n’en avons que 3.

I've been trying to upload these images for weeks, a fully blinged Domaine.

That's nice and thanks! Did you note the two extra rear lamps, one white and one yellow. Reversing and fog warning lamps respectively I wonder?

G'day JW, yes I noticed.

These cars were delivered with the bare necessities which is why this car stands out, being fully blinged and all.

I would point out that there is a Domaine in Victoria awaiting restoration if anyone is game enough..:deal:

Last edited:
G'day JW, yes I noticed.

These cars were delivered with the bare necessities which is why this car stands out, being fully blinged and all.

I would point out that there is a Domaine in Victoria awaiting restoration if anyone is game enough..:deal:

I wish someone would do exactly that - the Renault service car I presume? Lovely red on the car shown by Ricky. One of the Fregates in WA is regularly spoken of by its owner in terms of "must restore it..." or words to that effect. It's a "gonna" car. Others would know better but I think there are 2-3 lurking here, none actually mobile to my knowledge.

Cheers