REGISTRATION PROBLEM

27of85

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
HI all I have a 1995 Renault Laguna that i have been fixing up to put on club plates.
The problem i have is the VIN number is different to the Compliance plate number.
The number on vic roads records is the compliance plate number. The vehicle tester has
refused to put the compliance plate number on the form in place of the vin number.
Is the two plates some dumb Renault effort or a dealer stuff-up. More importantly how do i fix the problem
I look forward to some body hopefully being able to shed some light on this conundrum.

If it is going on club plates it is technically an unregistered vehicle. Why does it have to have the same chassis number as the vehicle previously known to VicRoads? Why not just give VicRoads the VIN?

Roger

HI all I have a 1995 Renault Laguna that i have been fixing up to put on club plates.
The problem i have is the VIN number is different to the Compliance plate number.
The number on vic roads records is the compliance plate number. The vehicle tester has
refused to put the compliance plate number on the form in place of the vin number.
Is the two plates some dumb Renault effort or a dealer stuff-up. More importantly how do i fix the problem
I look forward to some body hopefully being able to shed some light on this conundrum.
I had the same problem with a 306 I bought a year ago. It was almost due for rego and the tester found the discrepancy between the compliance plate and the VIN and refused to register it. Went to rego and they wouldn't even consider registering it, even though it had been through NSW rego with the previous owner for 12 or more years. But I eventually got onto someone helpful at rego, I made a bit of a fuss, and he gave me the 'phone number that put me through to the right people at Peugeot who dealt with this problem.
I had to take it to the Pug dealer who took photos and looked at the 306 and sent it off to Peugeot and 10 days later I had to go back to the dealer and they fitted the correct compliance plate (that agreed with the VIN), problem solved.
After the first hassle everyone was very helpful and all they wanted to do was resolve the issue.
Good luck
FLASH

How can you put a 1995 car on Historic plates?
In NSW it has to be 30 years old.
Surely that's a national requirement?

Easy fix.
There must be another Laguna out there with the same problem, just find it and swap compliance plates. Job done.

Whoever transcribes VINs to the ADR plate is (or was) pretty careless - this must have happened quite often.

I've got a Xantia which I hope to get back on the road which has the same problem. I think I discovered it when Service Box wouldn't recognise the VIN I had read from the ADR plate.

All I can suggest is to damage the numbers on the chassis so it's not readable and go to another roadworthy bloke.
My mate Con will do it.

That's funny, I finally found the VIN number on my shitbox range rover recently. It had about an inch thick of grease and muck covering it. Obviously it had NEVER been checked since the car was brand new (if then even, you have to know exactly where it is to find it). Both Vicroads and all the roadworthy testers over the years must have just taken the compliance plate pop riveted on the front as 'good enough'.

The XM engine number was best. The roadworthy tester pointed it out to me. Its on the back of the block and can only be found with a strong light when the car is up on a hoist.

I told the guy at Vicroads where it was and said "you cannot get under the car as it could collapse without warning"..... He just shrugged and copied the numbers from the RWC.

Easy fix.
There must be another Laguna out there with the same problem, just find it and swap compliance plates. Job done.
When was the last time you saw another Laguna 1 ? not counting the one in bits in your backyard.

If it is going on club plates it is technically an unregistered vehicle. Why does it have to have the same chassis number as the vehicle previously known to VicRoads? Why not just give VicRoads the VIN?

Roger
The arguement that VIC ROADS use is what if you want to sell it in the future. My arguement that other than my work cars, i am an end user didn't sway them.

the compliance no on my Fiat Ducato has one less zero than the one stamped on the chassis. reluctantly i give the rego no, to parts suppliers they come back with it dousnt exist ,then have to explain and get them to add an extra o, there are 4 zeros in the middle of the vin, whoever made the compliance plate missed one ,i had a VW transporter that was a private import ,main roads nsw listed its date of manufacture as the date on the compliance which was 10 years younger than it was ,i wasnt questioned by the guy i sold it to ,and didnt want to go through the bun fight to change it , that was another parts problem, as that vin didnt exist on vw aust dater base ,

Years ago smaller importers used to use contractors to fit compliance plates and make various changes. Local radios were usually fitted. The cars were usually in bond and the plates weren't fitted before the cars were called for by the importer. The date on the plate was when they left the yard not when they went in.
I think the numbers were stamped on the compliance plate by the contractor who worked from a document supplied by the importer.

Last edited:
Does it have Nescafe stickers on the side?

I bought a Mini from NSW, originally it was from South Aus, came with 20 years worth of NSW inspection certificates. I bought it sight unseen and asked the guy to send me the chassis number so I could organise an unreg permit.
Anyways he said the 6th digit was a "5" (it should be an "S") so I asked him if that was what the chassis said or what the rego papers said, (it was what the rego papers said). Long story short, thought I'd do the right thing when I registered it in QLD and mentioned the anomoly, worst mistake ever! It only got resolved when I went home and got the original SA sales and rego papers to prove I hadn't "altered" the number and that NSW had f#cked it up. Funny thing 20 years of NSW annual "inspection" certificates all wrongly had a "5" on them as well. The stamping is clearly an "S", so clearly for 20 years it would seem no-one actually "inspected" it. I would have thought the first thing you would do for a RWC would be validate the car's ID? Bit of "copy and paste" going on I suspect.🤔

I have a 66 Mustang in the shed which I've had for a number of years and am still yet to register.
I have an old QLD rego cert for it and the 5th digit on it is a "7" which is wrong as the 5th digit should be a letter which designates the engine fitted (A code etc). I must admit the chassis stamping under the bonnet is a bit shallow on the right side at the top of the T but the build plate clearly shows a T.
I'm thinking twice about saying anything come rego time after the Mini experience.🤫

I have an early 70s F100 ambulance (still has all the lights and sirens), the ADR plate is stamped AMBULANCE under "body type" yet when I went to register it Transport said it has to be registered as a panel van (contrary to the what the ADR plate states). Apparently a private individual can't register a vehicle as an ambulance in QLD, not sure about other states.

I have a Reliant Regal 3 wheeler sedan, I believe it's still the only one in Aust. As the vehicle make/model wasn't on the "system" when I went to register it the young Transport lady behind the counter was all at sea. She took the RWC away and came back proudly proclaiming it was all sorted because "the boys out the back said it's a Valiant Regal, not a Reliant Regal".🤦‍♂️
Anyway with some patient persistence on my part, the young lass eventually called head office and they added the vehicle make and model to the Transport data base. Funnily enough my Shannon's insurance policy still has "Reliant Scimitar" on it as they "had to put something down" when I first insured it and Reliant Regal wasn't an option.
One other interesting thing, nowhere on QLD RWCs or registration documentation is the number of wheels that a CAR possesses actually mentioned.