R10 Resto S E Qld

G'day Mr. Armadillo and Geo, thanks for the input - at this point, considering all the other nice new components going into the rest of the front end I am definitely leaning towards the replacement of the brackets that bolt to the subframe and the A arm shafts. There is corrosion on both sets of eccentrics for caster adjustment and the big nuts where they meet, so new brackets make sense all round. I will get my engineer friend (note for Geo: he happens to have a lot of tractor resto experience) to repair the small cut in the subframe, he can fix the nasty weld in the same area at the same time.

My 'engineer' mate (let's call him Turtle - everyone else does) is a member of the local Tractor Club, they hold a big tractor show at Milbong (half way betwixt Boonah and Ipswich S E Qld) once a year. He just sold a beautiful Fergie he restored from the ground up for $7,500, pity I couldn't find the funds for that one...I used to work for Dover and Sons in Boonah, they have a nice collection of tractor models for sale, I picked up a few while I was there - I saw a nice Fergie model in the shop just t'other day, let me know if you're interested and I'll get some details for ya - pix to follow of my little collection

cheers

BP

well it goes on - firstly, thanks so much to Greg for your response, I will be keeping your thoughts handy, especially the chance of bolting on some extractors. Even though John W did warn me about 'taking it easy' I did get a little over excited this afternoon and might have to take a few days off - I honestly thought the nymph node removal was a doddle, not so...it's not a good idea to feel a little better and then start belting things with a hammer - 'nuff said

first point - all of the Silentbloc bearings are out now - one of the lower A arm bolts came out beautifully, the one from the 'bent' side needed some 'significant persuasion' - eventually it came out, I checked the 'good' bolt into the 'bent' side to see if there was any significant deviation, it didn't line up perfectly with the other side but it ended up slipping into the other mounting with no problem, indicating to me that the A arm was not twisted or bent

Hey John, I haven't even looked at the upper A arms yet because I have been so focussed on getting the lower arms off and ready for painting and fitting of the new Silentbloc bearings, not to mention the removal of the old ball joints. Not sure I mentioned this - the old ball joints show nil wear, only being replaced because the perished rubbers will not pass roadworthy. Having read some of the horror stories associated with the upper arm pins, I'm not looking forward to that task

still considering the removal of the seized bolt from one of the brackets, hoping an EzyOut will do the trick - otherwise I will probably be looking at a whole new set of mounting brackets including new A arm major bolts

sorry if some of this doesn't make sense, perhaps after a 'fun' day in the workshop I should have reduced the intake of red vino in order to get a good nights sleep....which is what I need to do right now

cheers big ears

BP
Exactly which bolt is jammed? I can't quite work out which you are describing.

OK, the titles of the pix are self explanatory, as are the pix themselves... cutdamage1.jpgweld1.jpgcorrosion1 (2).jpgsilentbloc tool (2).jpg

Whoa. That's not nice. I don't think an Eazyout will touch that mounting bolt. Drill out or heat and shock. I'd drive it down from the head end as it might mostly be bound in the thread area where it has been cut off. When you sort it out, do remember (unlike me) that those bolts come in two diameters - you have the diagram now.

That caster adjustment eccentric has had the hex head sheared clean off! Might it braze back together if the other Boonah gentleman doesn't have one? There's no real force involved in caster adjustment, so I reckon that would be strong enough.

Hate to be negative, but if that's what the bottom bolts look like, the upper wishbone pin might be a challenge. You can't be too rough with it, as the mounting tubes are brazed into the suspension turret, and none of it is particularly strong laterally.

I've clearly been very lucky with the R8 front end.

well I don't know how long the car sat unused after the hit up the Khyber - funny how you look at a car that's all there and think "hey, how hard can it be?" I'm beginning to find out !

as long as I pace myself I am making progress every day and really enjoying the process - she will once again grace the roads and at the end of my driving days she will go on to a new custodian with a nice little file of improvements commencing from 2021...

Looks as if it sat for a while in warm and moist conditions. Slow but steady is the way eh? Good luck and shout if I can help.

If you end up cutting the top pin, cut through the outer part of the bush on the wishbone, not accidentally trough the outer ends of the inserts in the turret. When the new bushes are pressed into the wishbone, they fit exactly between the inserts.

Reactions: COL
this is so much fun - peering into the bottom of the box of parts recently received from France I noticed a part that didn't look quite right

as previously mentioned, the lower front right hand side of the car has in the past has received significant damage, including the lower shock absorber mount - I ordered one of these using the part number from my borrowed P.R. 832 cattledog: 05 55 496 600, because that is the shape that came off my car. that page actually shows two different brackets, one with extensions, one without. the part sent to me by the mob who charges VAT when they should not, has the part number: 08 33 090 900. and as you can see from the photo, they are not quite the same. I measured the vertical distance difference between the holes, which is exactly 25mm. and when I looked in my recently received P.R. 832, page number 48.01.1 only shows the type that came off my car, not the newer version

why is it so? simple, really - my 832 is Edition 5, and the borrowed 832 is Edition 6, which of course states that it supercedes all previous editions. perfect. just perfect. I wonder what else is different in Edition 6...

what implications does this have for the new shock absorbers I will be sourcing, and where can I get another one of these new mounts? I haven't been able to find anyone else selling them..

cheers

BP

Attachments

• shockmount1.jpg
    shockmount1.jpg
    971.1 KB · Views: 142
this is so much fun - peering into the bottom of the box of parts recently received from France I noticed a part that didn't look quite right

as previously mentioned, the lower front right hand side of the car has in the past has received significant damage, including the lower shock absorber mount - I ordered one of these using the part number from my borrowed P.R. 832 cattledog: 05 55 496 600, because that is the shape that came off my car. that page actually shows two different brackets, one with extensions, one without. the part sent to me by the mob who charges VAT when they should not, has the part number: 08 33 090 900. and as you can see from the photo, they are not quite the same. I measured the vertical distance difference between the holes, which is exactly 25mm. and when I looked in my recently received P.R. 832, page number 48.01.1 only shows the type that came off my car, not the newer version

why is it so? simple, really - my 832 is Edition 5, and the borrowed 832 is Edition 6, which of course states that it supercedes all previous editions. perfect. just perfect. I wonder what else is different in Edition 6...

what implications does this have for the new shock absorbers I will be sourcing, and where can I get another one of these new mounts? I haven't been able to find anyone else selling them..

cheers

BP
There is another thread from a few years back about the differences in these brackets and why

From memory I think there is two different lengths in front shocks.

My Alpine has the same bracket as the shiny black one in your post above, my Alpine is a 1973 model so the that new bracket maybe for the later models.

Not sure if that helps or confuses you.

I do not know what books you are referring to or various part numbers being quoted, however the bracket with the extension appears to be intended for a car with extended ride height that would enable you to drive over a huge boulder on your next desert crossing adventure.

The plated bracket shown at the bottom of the picture is for normal road use and perhaps some slightly lowered front springs using Koni shocks. If you use the extended bracket with the normal R8 R10 Konis on a road car at standard suspension height, the shock shaft will likely bottom out on full bump and punch the guts out of your Konis valving, leaving you with some very stuffed shocks.

Ha. I wrote an article about this exact subject a few years ago and it is here somewhere as COL said. I'll send you a copy by email. The new bracket you have is the correct one for the current Koni shock absorber. My old ones were a few mm longer and were superceded.

cheers

BP

hey thanks again youse mob, I was sitting here thinking you were all hoping that I'd stop the whining and get on with it - it's just a bit of a pain when you keep trying to jump the hurdles that keep appearing...

hey Buster, the PR XXX parts catalogue I am referring to, it is a magic piece of artwork, tomorrow I'll scan a page or two to show you what I mean - it shows perfectly accurate exploded diagrams of every part, nut and bolt for the vehicle/s concerned, in the case of 832, the R1190 and R1192 models. It includes cutaway drawings as well, so it is a perfect tool to show you how everything goes back together (in case you've forgotten). obviously there can be hiccups with later versions of the documents, but that's a minor point considering the general usefulness of the manuals.

BP

Ha. I wrote an article about this exact subject a few years ago and it is here somewhere as COL said. I'll send you a copy by email. The new bracket you have is the correct one for the current Koni shock absorber. My old ones were a few mm longer and were superceded.
Crikey John, you keep this up and the bottle of vino will have to be Grange Hermitage ! Email received and the Curious Issue article printed out and installed in my R10 Folder for Future Custodians. The last page of the article shows a Renault flying through the air - I'm kinda wondering if MY R10 is just behind it, about to run off the road after a hard landing and doing some large rock hunting in the process....

hey Buster, is that your red R10? Noice!!! Where was the pic taken? And where are you located? You too John?

BP

There is another thread from a few years back about the differences in these brackets and why

From memory I think there is two different lengths in front shocks.

My Alpine has the same bracket as the shiny black one in your post above, my Alpine is a 1973 model so the that new bracket maybe for the later models.

Not sure if that helps or confuses you.
My '69 A110 has the same bracket as the shiny black one too...and has Koni's fitted...

Reactions: COL
Yes that's my R10 and my R8G is the white one. The pic was taken at the annual car show fundraiser held at the Pitt Town sports club for the local fire brigade. I am in the Hawkesbury area.
The pic below shows the 1.4 motor with weber carb. R10 with 1.4 has no problem keeping up with (or passing) modern traffic. Keep at it BP

Attachments

• TRI8E28.jpg
    TRI8E28.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 155
thanks nauli - I hear that a few well known names have been snapping up new Alpines...

and while I am here, I may as well ask questions about tyres and coil springs??? I'm looking at Contis for the former

BP

Yes that's my R10 and my R8G is the white one. The pic was taken at the annual car show fundraiser held at the Pitt Town sports club for the local fire brigade. I am in the Hawkesbury area.
The pic below shows the 1.4 motor with weber carb. R10 with 1.4 has no problem keeping up with (or passing) modern traffic. Keep at it BP
Woody Time, Buster....you lucky B...any time you're in S E Qld, make sure you get in touch - same goes for you John !

Thanks BP, luck has nothing to do with it. Lots of hard work at a steady pace and focus. I have worked in the shed on a 40 degree day when most others my age (or younger) are relaxing during the weekend.

Thanks BP, luck has nothing to do with it. Lots of hard work at a steady pace and focus. I have worked in the shed on a 40 degree day when most others my age (or younger) are relaxing during the weekend.
m8 I will take all of your comments as the way to get to the end of ALL of the restos - another 10 and a 16TS are in my shed !!

cheers